Skip to content

Baldur's Gate NPC name's explained

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Naten said:

@Ravenslight He couldn't of been much worse than the mind games Viconia would play with you. I know alot of people who are like him and they don't seem to stay single for very long oddly enough. Only the one option was a weird thing to do tho, everyone should of had the choice of three flavors of crazy.

This is the big problem with the romances. Base game or mods. What pulls at the heart strings of one person, will invariably make someone else cringe. Romantic feelings are a deeply personal thing. In my opinion, this is why there is such a wide variety in romance mod personalities and why you see such heated debates about whether one such mod is great or hated. You can bet that for each one you try that you find yourself hating, there is someone else somewhere smiling as they play it. Of course, some personalities are more universally liked than others.

Only providing one romance option for a female PC in the base game when three were completed for a male PC is a different matter. I agree, there should have been a choice.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Naten ,
    I proposed a few comments based on other forumer theories.
    These are no strong opinions.
    "an omen" is as good as "ad nomen". You may also read "nemo" in the name.
    I don't believe that the creator of Haer'Dalis wanted to use the french word "lis".
    I think that "alis" or "haered" is a very weak interpretation in that case (but more likely and in any case better than all those ideas using hero or hier).
    With such a spelling this may be a celtic root.

However I am really convinced that the anagrams make sense.

Two additional comments.
    Obviously aero, aerial for aerie (aerius) makes sense too. There is potentially a double meaning with aeris to describe something that cannot be changed or disputed (as in iron law) - no way back home for the elf who lost her wings.

Ajati, proto-indo-european etymology of ago in latin
    Agent, Agentis. This word had many meanings : the agent who informs the church or the king for instance.
  • NatenNaten Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2015
    @Musigny I like the idea of the double meaning for Aerie, i seem to notice that several names seem to have characteristics of two of the possible meanings equally and suspect that this is not just coincidence but intentional.

Ajantis meaning "agent" of the church is very fitting for sure, nice find.

Alright I have a meaning for Coran, Coran is connected to the word Corinthians. Calling someone a Corinthian other than it be relating to ancient Corinth or its people or culture, had a few other meanings. It was a way of saying someone was A luxury-loving person; a bon vivant (a person who likes going to parties and other social occasions and who enjoys good food, wine, etc.). Or that they were given to licentious and profligate luxury (licentious means going beyond customary or proper bounds or limits; disregarding rules, and profligate luxury means recklessly extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources.).
    Naten said:

@Musigny I like the idea of the double meaning for Aerie, i seem to notice that several names seem to have characteristics of two of the possible meanings equally and suspect that this is not just coincidence but intentional.

or Musigny on drugs...
    Naten said:

Ajantis meaning "agent" of the church is very fitting for sure, nice find.

@Naten agentes in rebus
    Even the half-wrong wikipedia.org has a page for it.

Obviously alora is piemontese (ok, just joking).
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2015
    Haven't we already established the obvious connection between Aerie and the city of the Avariel, also called Aerie?
    No matter that the goddess of the avariel is called Aerdrie Faenya.

As for Coran, they might have taken Quran (also known as Koran) or it might be connected to the Coran (Charente) River in France.
    You do meet Coran on a bridge, above a river.

Ajantis (Hubner) seems to be a synonym for the species of butterflies Heliconius. Now, whether that's a word or a name in another language I am not sure.

There doesn't need to be an explanation for the name of everyone. Many times, what the developers and players are doing, is taking an existing name from lore and use it as a base to make up new names.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Archaos said:

Haven't we already established the obvious connection between Aerie and the city of the Avariel, also called Aerie?

No, Aerie is an actual word, variant of eyrie, a nest of a large bird of prey. If you look about you'll find many locations in various settings referred to as 'the aerie' or 'aerie of such and such'. I've never played it, but I believe there's an aerie in World of Warcraft as well.

edited February 2015
    So? It's far more likely that her name was taken from the city of the Avariel, than the actual word.
    The city on the other hand, is obviously connected to the actual word.

Anyway, Korgan is a city in Turkey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korgan
    Archaos said:

No matter that the goddess of the avariel is called Aerdrie Faenya.

This is not contradictory. This so-called avariel name "aerie" did not come from nowhere. As you can speak greek, this seems quite obvious.
    As regards the goddess name if you do not explain what "drie" means there is no possible comparison.
    edited February 2015
    Archaos said:

So? It's far more likely that her name was taken from the city of the Avariel, than the actual word.

The city on the other hand, is obviously connected to the actual word.

Most likely they both come from the actual word.

There's also a DnD module I came across once called 'Aerie of the Slave Lords', which would be somewhat of a slap in the face to our Aerie since slavers are obviously the people she likes the least.
    Coutelier said:

This thread reminds me of a TV film I saw once called Cruise of the Gods, which is about a fan cruise reuniting the cast of a fictitious sci-fi show.

There's one scene where a nerdy fan is giving a talk about the names of characters from the show and how they all relate to these figures from mythology... but then the actual writer stumbles into the auditorium, a little drunk, and explains that he just got all the character's names off a curry menu.

Incidentally I tried to find out if Alora is a real name, and it is. Various meanings are given for it though, although mostly it's 'dream' or 'my dream', while a few sites say it's a variant of Laura or Eleanor.

The Urban Dictionary however, describes Alora as:

'She can be crazy, fun, loving, sexy and has a heart to share to anyone who wants love her back and shes not afraid to tell you how she feels. A true friend where building a relationship with will uplift a sad life to having many adventures creating a better life to live with. '

'Elora' was also the name of the baby in the movie Willow.

Actually i think your onto something with the Elora name from the movie Willow, even tho she isn't one of the little people in that movie she is the most important character in a movie that was famous for having a race of little people. It makes sense to me. The meaning of dream is also fitting for her somewhat since you could say she is dreaming of treasure :) But Willow was a huge movie for its time and Elora/Alora thing seems the most likely.
    edited February 2015
    Yup. Aeras means wind in Greek. Aerial etc.

I think it's obvious about Aerdrie. You take the "d" out (that sounded wrong) and you're left with Aerrie or Aerie.
    The designers of the elven gods, wanted Aerdrie Faenya to sound like Aerie but not having it be that obvious.

Fantasy names are just that. You take a word, change it a bit and you come up with a name. I do it all the time.
    Especially the names of the elven gods. Most of them don't mean anything. They are just made up to sound elven enough, perhaps based on Tolkien's examples.

Hell, many gods are just taken from history or words. (Talos, Tyr, Helm, Bane, Silvanus, Tempus, Sune etc)

Don't overthink the names too much. Coran doesn't even have elven ears in his portrait. Not every detail needs to mean something, especially names.
    Some stuff are just made up to sound and look cool and that's it.

For example, for my Blackguard, I came up with the name Makalus which is a heavy corruption of Michael.
    Then I found out that there is a mountain called Makalu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makalu
    That was a pure coincidence.
    edited February 2015
    @Archaos this is true, there are alot of coincidences gonna be found, what I am trying to do is separate the ones that are likely to do with it from the ones that likely don't. It is interesting for me to do this for a number of reasons that are not important for me to list. Korgan might very well be named after that city in Turkey which is a fairly well known source of iron ore. It might not, I have not looked at other possibilities (yet) so far it takes the lead in the absence of any options. Baldur's Gate is a game that is full of inside jokes, hidden meanings and riddles. The idea that they put some real thought into MANY of the characters names is pretty clear.
    edited February 2015
    @Naten Still, they made an elf with no elven ears or elven face (Coran) and a Drow with purple hair, chubby face, weird skin color and bushy eyebrows (BG1 Viconia portrait).

It's in BG2 where they got serious with the art style and lore.

Though I agree, there are references and easter eggs everywhere. But BG1 isn't as detailed as some think.
    Just like in most fantasy, they come up with stuff that looks and sounds good for the character.

For example, Irenicus was originally planned to be called Icarus (Greek mythological figure, son of Daedalus).
    Then they decided to change it a bit and have it mean "Shattered One".
    Archaos said:

Though I agree, there are references and easter eggs everywhere. But BG1 isn't as detailed as some think.
    Just like in most fantasy, they come up with stuff that looks and sounds good for the character.

For example, Irenicus was originally planned to be called Icarus (Greek mythological figure, son of Daedalus).
    Then they decided to change it a bit and have it mean "Shattered One".

On the other hand the magical incantations in latin are well defined.
    Even the name irenicus is not invented.
    Is this name given by Ellesime and the elven folks or is it chosen by Jon Irenicus himself ?
    In the former case it makes a lot of sense, in the latter case this is highly sarcastic.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Archaos said:

Like I said, Drow of the Underdark could have simply taken examples of an older ADnD sourcebook and re-added it.
    There's no reason not to take existing examples from older books and add them.

Or from the Dragon magazines. I remember an old Dragon magazine in the ADnD era that had Drow names and how to create them.

EDIT: Like I said. http://www.kismetrose.com/dnd/DrowNameGenerator.html "from the official Dragon magazine article by Owen K.C. Stephens"

By this table, Solaufein would mean Nimble Seer or Deft Seer. Or if drow have reversed word orders, it would mean Eyes of the Spider.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited February 2015
    Neera's name is fitting, as it's a variant of "Naira" or "Naera" (in Tolkien's Elvish languages), meaning "dreadful" or "horrible."

I wonder if this was intentional on the writer's part. @Dave (Gross)?
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This is an interesting thread. I sometimes try to figure out why authors choose certain names in everything I read, watch, or play.

I haven't seen the fact mentioned that with Dorn, Rasaad, Hexxat, and Neera, the people who wrote the names are available around here to ask directly what they were thinking when they chose the names, if anything.

How about it, @Amber_Scott , and @AndrewFoley , and @LiamEsler ? Have I left any known new character writers out? It's possible @CamDawg or @TrentOster know something about how the names of the original characters were chosen and whether the syllables in them meant anything, although those two are probably too busy to respond here to fan inquiries.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Naten said:

[...]Coran is connected to the word Corinthians. [...]

I like this thread. It is of course all speculations, but it's fun.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that Coran might just be connected to Corellon Larethian, the leader of the elven pantheon.

They have both the same alignment and use the same weapons (longsword and bow), although I admit this might be due to the influence Corellon has over all his people, not just Coran.
    Still, it seems pretty clear to me that the name is simply a portmanteau of the god's name and surname. it is also possible that something similar can be said about Kivan.
    Moradin said:

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that Coran might just be connected to Corellon Larethian, the leader of the elven pantheon.

They have both the same alignment and use the same weapons (longsword and bow), although I admit this might be due to the influence Corellon has over all his people, not just Coran.
    Still, it seems pretty clear to me that the name is simply a portmanteau of the god's name and surname. it is also possible that something similar can be said about Kivan.

That actually seems quite plausible. It reminds of the title Darth in Star Wars.
    It is said that it comes from Dark Lord of the Sith.
    edited February 2015
    Incidentally, now that I'm well in to writing my own fics, I find I do name a lot of my own characters after BG NPC's. Like Chance Delainy, or Jennifer Airhart (Arla Airhart was the name of an AU version of Aerie I started writing in a fanfic long ago).
    I have one for Tiax. Tiax is connected to the words "tiny" and "axe". Since he is small and possibly dangerous (likely to small animals), i believe this is possibly fitting.
  • MiridorMiridor Member Posts: 90
    Minsc could also be connected to the Danish word for human being ('menneske') which is pronounced almost the same way. Compare this with the Yiddish word 'mensch'.

And isn't that what Minsc is - more human than anyone else in the game? Protective of those he regards as weaker than himself, rash, rather stupid and prone to wanton destructiveness :-)
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Well now you guys are stretching...... or you don't stretch enough. Exercise people!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Iroumen: Some of these are indeed rather silly.

@Iroumen: Some of these are indeed rather silly.

That's how you know we are on the right trail.