Skip to content

Non-wizard wizards...

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Strange title, I know. But it got your attention, right?

I have a question. Could someone tell me if I am interpreting this correctly?

In D&D, there are several ways to use magic, and the wizard class is just one of them.

(1) Bards. Sure, they cast spells. But is a bard really a special kind of sorceror? Let me explain. Their bard songs cause magical effects. They can heal wounds (war chant of the sith), they can make the recipient immune to spell effects (such as fear, confusion, etc), and they always work for all allies within range. Even if people have very different tastes in music, and even if someone would find a musician in a battle to be distracting. So is it the case that bard songs are magical in nature?

(2) Monks. Are they really wizards? As I see it, wizards take magical energy, use their body as a conduit, and then release it in a controlled manner. This is why in the black pits 2 the teleporting mage gets chunked when the prison wards don't let him release the energy. Given all of the special powers of monks, are they wizards who, rather than releasing magical energy in a controlled manner, internalize it and use it to power themselves?

These are people who can punch through steel, can run faster than any normal human, can become immune to diseases, normal weapons, etc. So is it true that they are in fact, a different kind of wizard?

(3) All non-caster classes. Fighters, thieves, etc. They start out as normal people. They can take one, maybe two or three, sword blows before they die. Pretty standard stuff, right? However, as they level up, they can take more and more punishment. To the point where one can take a direct hit from a dragon and get right back up. Or where several dozen arrows become an annoyance.

It is because of this, that I have my theory: In Faerun, magic is part of the world. Every living thing is infused with it.

Some classes directly learn how to shape it.
* Wizards learn how to actually see the world for it is, and to manipulate the energy.
* Monks are the same as wizards, only they draw magic into themselves and rather than release it, use it to strengthen themselves.
* Clerics/Druids learn how to communicate with the divine, and use their deities to shape magical energy.

Other classes represent people who, without training, use their special talents to use magic.
* Sorcerors are merely wizards who are naturally talented enough to not need training.
* Fighters and rogues are merely monks, who are talented enough to do some of what monks do without the training.
* Paladins and Rangers are a mixture of both.

And of course, the people who have the natural talent to do this are exceedingly rare. This is why there are so few people in Faerun who can reach high levels. Look at BG1 for example. Flaming fits mercenaries, amnian soldiers, gnolls, hobgoblins...they all hover in the lvl 1-3 range. Very, very few of them ever go past that. Commoners are even more squishy.

This makes me come to the conclusion that adventurers are people who have the natural talent to make use of the energy that infuses everything. It is what makes them special. It also means that when you get to the higher levels, even if you are a fighter, you are indeed practicing a certain brand of magic, even if you don't realize it.

Am I alone in thinking this way? Or is a figher just a fighter and I am overthinking this?

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Do monks need a deity? I wasn't under the impression that they did.

Sure, Sun Soul and Dark Moon monks certainly do. But in BG, the description says:

"Monks are warriors who pursues perfection through contemplation as well as action. They are versatile fighters, especially skilled in combat without armor or weapons. Though monks cannot cast spells, they have a unique magic of their own: they channel a subtle energy, called ki, which allows them to perform amazing feats."

And for warriors, you can train all you want with swords and daggers...but there comes a point where you reach superhuman levels and it needs to be explained.

Example: Thief

They reach a point where, with enough levels, they can sneak around unseen in daylight, out doors, with aware enemies.

Example: Bounty Hunter

Their high level traps cause actual spell effects!

Example: Warrior

I've had a dwarven warrior walk up to a dragon by himself and kill it.

Example: Barbarian

In splint armor, carrying a great sword, with a full pack of gear on, he will run faster than the world's fastest sprinter. And he will do it for great lengths of time without being winded. He can also make himself immune to magical effects through the sheer force of anger...which can be called upon at will.

These are all things that are completely and utterly out of the realm of possibilities. However, as you put it, they don't actually *train* their innate abilities. Which means that a warrior will never train himself to be immune to normal weapons. A thief will never be able to gather magical energy into his fist and do 1d20 damage with it.

So what I come to is this:

For adventurers, there are two tracks: You can make a conscious effort to use your natural talents, and can come to amazing conclusions. You can literally reshape reality at will! Or you can do what you want to do, and not bother with it. But that same power will still be there. You'll be tougher, stronger, sneakier, than any mortal man could ever hope to be. But it won't be a conscious decision and without 'caster' levels, you'll never be able to choose how it manifests.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Well in the later versions of DnD monks are a form of psionics user and their ki is their manifestation of power.

Bards in later versions tend to be like sorcerers in that the majority of the time have some form of magical creature as an ancestor which is why they have magical abilities. Their song is similar to a morale booster in militaries where it unifies the people fighting with the tones they play giving different effects such as a strong and powerful sound to make them fight harder.

Fighter classes gaining more hp is that they become more and more use to the punishment and pain their bodies endure so it's less likely to incapacitate them, but depending on the GM certain rolls or damage ranges can cause crippling, scars, or instant death.
    As an addon paladins get their powers from deities as do rangers which is why they tend to get their magic in later levels when they get stronger and have more experience.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    That's why I said "From My Knowledge." You didn't list BGEE as what you're getting you're information from, you said D&D, which is why I listed that I'm pretty sure monks originally harnessed their power by borrowing it from their God/Diety.
    There is no explanation for the magics that get involved when it comes to the Forgotten Realms series. We don't know how Magic is implemented or anything. Jon Irenicus? Nobody even knew who he was yet he was the most powerful mage you encounter through the entire series, ten fold the power of Sarevok but the opposite reputation of Elminster, who CHARNAME declared as the man everybody in the realms knew of. We don't even know how he gained his power, we don't know much about him at all. He's as mysterious as the source of his power and we have no idea why. We don't even know where the magic COMES from, yet he's killing people with the flick of his fingers with it (No saving throws, either! Instant chunking!).
    While your topic is a huge opportunity for people to throw opinions and theories everywhere, I don't think you'll ever find a complete answer for it. Fighters could have magic, yes. Mages could become amazing 2-handers with some training. Paladins could give up their dieties and start hurling fireballs through the air. While I believe thats possible, I don't believe you'll find a legit answer.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    As the editions progress I think your idea gains more support. Some of the abilities fighter classes are given in recent editions may as well be spell effects. Every class is so laden with abilities and actions that mages become a little less special in some ways.

I think that the designers meant for the higher level non-mage abilities to be a reflection of what special snowflakes PCs are. They are like the mythological heroes of old, able to slay dragons before breakfast, and wrestle titans to their knees. Beyond other mere mortals, but not necessarily magical.

I like your idea though, and don't see why it couldn't be a reason for the amazing feats heroes are capable of accomplishing.
    I said later versions, initially paladins and rangers did not have magic as paladins were just mounted knights, and rangers were based off Aragorn. Monks were based off real world monks, and movie martial artists. For wizards magic is regulated by the goddess of magic Mystra. Irenicus gained his power being an elf that studied magic, and as elves live a long time the power they obtain and possess is generally stronger, more refined, and put to better use compared to the shorter lived races such as humans. (The no saves part is cutscene bull that is supposed to give you the sense of his power which is why when more wizards show he gives up as most likely he was running low on magic as he had just demolished a large force from the shadow thieves.) Finally in 3rd edition wizards can train in 2h swords, paladins cannot give up their deity without falling and becoming a normal fighter, but they can learn how to wield magic which is what I assume paladins of Mystra do.
    Thank you to everyone for your replies. My knowledge only comes from the games, so the insight from those with more background knowledge is always welcome.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2015
    Bard song is a misnomer, a more appropriate name for the ability would be bardic performance. And yes, the more powerful ones are magical in nature.
    If you define magic as any otherworldly (in relation to ours) force that allows someone to perform feats that would normally be impossible (in our world) then yes, magic -is- something that is intrinsic to perhaps everything in the D&D universe. It also goes by different names (super strength/dex/etc, high/epic levels like in the case of fighters and thieves, psionics, ki or monk energy, arcane magic, divine magic - anything can become a god, iirc, some of the D&D gods were once mortals/undead/semi-sentient beings/ideas/a place, etc) and each type follows different rules.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I figure a warrior being able to tap into magical energies to boost his or her battle prowess is something of a necessity for game balance purposes. A mage can light up a whole house in flame, with a few words and some wiggling of his or her fingers. A fighter is never going to be able match that unless he can do something truly superhuman.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    This idea is essentially the basis of all character classes in the Earthdawn system, the only other Fantasy roleplay I truly enjoyed to the same extent as AD&D, and not only because it made full use of the range of different shaped dice ;) It had a really nice back-story for the game world, and we were blessed with an excellent GM, and a pretty good set of gamers who could both role- and roll-play at the same time. Fun times.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    I don't think fighters and high level characters high hit points are neccesarily reflection of their magicalness.
    hispls said:

I was always under the assumption 100 hit points didn't reflect that that character could be socked in the head with a morning star 20 times, but that his battle experience allowed him to dodge, deflect, and otherwise avoid or minimize damage from enemy attacks. At the end of the day only a couple solid hits will still kill him but the hit points is just an effective way to quantify it for gaming purposes.

I agree with this approach. A high level fighter, when wounded, is not put to the sword, gutted repeatedly, and just spits blood, pushes the dangling viscera into his tummy and goes on fighting, because 'magic'. A high level fighter is skilled enough to avoid fatal blows, turning life threatening injuries into scratches and the like.

He can be worn down eventually and the killing blow will come, be it a slice through the throat or a crushing blow to the skull, or just plain ol sword to the gut. If he is immobilised or totally defenseless, he can be slain just like another guy.

Imagine the high level fighter tied up to an altar for sacrifice. The sacrificial dagger does 1d6 damage in combat, and the fighter has 100 hp. The dark priest does not stab him repeatedly 20 or so times. He just kills him like he does any other guy. (throat slicing or carving up the heart, among the favourites)

In bg games, being held/paralysed/stunned is so common it would be overkill to allow those to die in one hit. In pnp, if there is no actual combat going, helpless can be slain easily with the right tools. In combat pnp, I would rule such characters take maximum damage possible, and if the intent was to kill in one hit, they must make a save vs death or system shock roll to survive.
    I dunno. Maybe in a system like WFRP v 2, I could see that. But then again, that is a system where a high level warrior can very well be killed by 20 goblins and where casting a high level spell carries a fairly high chance of causing madness, mutation or death...to the caster. It is also a system where finding a magic weapon (if you have a good GM) is a rather nerve wracking experience because of the fear that it would be cursed. And that is if you ever see one in the first place. Facing a dragon is such an end game feat, that I've personally never seen it done.

The BG series, and I suppose D&D, is not like that. A high level warrior could wade through 100 goblins without breaking a sweat. I am doing a solo run of Icewind Dale with a ranger/cleric. He has just reached levels 30/30. To say that nothing scares him would be an understatement. He's already solo'd a dragon (who was backed up by a small horde of fishmen) as well as a daemoness with an army of lizardmen. In the BG series, your party literally walks into an enemy army (an actual army) and steamrolls it so easily that it isn't funny.

I am all for skill and the like...but when it is 1v100, skill doesn't matter. You are going to die. But that isn't the case. Which means, to me at least, that there is something more than skill there.

When you gain an level and you get -1 THACO, that to me shows an increase in skill. When you level up, and get a proficiency point to place, that shows skill. However, mixed in with that skill is a whole heck of alot of superhuman strength which just can't be explained by someone who is really good at fighting.

And as a final argument: high level mages bend reality to their will. Fire materializes out of thin air. They make your blood boil. They control your mind, they summon demons, they make themselves immune to everything. They can even imprison you in a different plane. However, fighters can and do go toe-to-toe with them. Weathering a storm of magic which you can't dodge, can't parry, and have no education as to how it works or how to counter it....that speaks to me of someone who is beyond a mere mortal.

To quote @kcwise, they are like mythological heroes.
    Well fighters even high level ones would be extremely wary of casters and most casters are usually taken down through luck, far superior numbers(army), or assassination as a single finger of death, disintigrate, timestop, etc can spell the end for one or hundreds of warriors. For reference imagine an extremely powerful wizard casting timestop, and placing a wail of the banshee in the middle of an army decimating half their force before they even knew what hit them, then the next group perishes to a sea of magical traps that the wizard had placed ahead of time you can't honestly tell me that even a high level warrior would not want to piss his pants and run from watching an entire force simply keel over.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    An army is probably composed of lower level fighters who won't have the willpower or the stamina to survive the onslaught.
  • GreenWyvernGreenWyvern Member Posts: 247
    Where do rogues get their traps from? They seem to just conjure up snares from thin air, and to make matters weirder, they can only set a certain amount per day. "Training" their set trap ability will allow them to place even more per day... it feels like a really light form of conjuring magic. In fact, this would explain how you always have a lockpick ready, since you would be able to simply conjure up a few as you please.
    @wubble it still does not change the fact that a single failed save in gameplay would instantly kill that higher level hero if he can even make a save (imprisonment).

@greenwyvern I assume you are talking about game mechanics rather than actual mechanics which is the game was simplified of not needing components for things such as spells or traps where as actual mechanics would require the materials to make the traps.