Skip to content

Aerial Servant

Does anyone else think that this summon is amazing? It almost makes Viconia the most useful member of my party at the moment. This summon packs a serious punch.

It kind of makes things easy. It's an amazing fighter.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    They are formidable fighters indeed. Don't forget to cast Chaotic Commands on them - you don't want them to become confused and crit your own party member.

But I like the Skeleton Warriors even more. Magic Resistance decides a lot against any caster opponent.

Summons, especially if buffed, can make a lot of good.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @bengoshi Chaotic Commands shares the same level as some of the most useful Priest spells like True Seeing, Insect Plague and Iron Skins (in the case of Druids, of course), so it's rare I got extras going for summons, and I don't think it's really necessary. (Unless you are talking about SCS or something, which I've never tried...) Because...

Yes Aerial Servants hits like a tonne of bricks, but they are relatively squishy for that level of summoned creature, so even if one does go rogue, you can take it down pretty quickly. And I agree with you on Skeleton Warriors. For me the no1 purpose of summons is to take the heat off my party, and Skellies are better at surviving than most. I got a soft spot for Fire Elementals too, they are boss in early-mid SoA, and you can safely throw fireballs at enemies engaged in combat with them because it won't harm them and turn them against you.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

I got a soft spot for Fire Elementals too, they are boss in early-mid SoA, and you can safely throw fireballs at enemies engaged in combat with them because it won't harm them and turn them against you.

Actually they will turn against you.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Elminister Oh really? I am pretty sure I've done that a few times before. What triggers the aggro? It's not a targeted attack and they don't get hurt...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Heindrich:

When on a solo no-reload run, I find Chaotic Commands the most important level-5 divine spell. Invisibility Purge can serve as True Seeing.

As soon as my character reaches the 5th spell level, I take Chaotic Commands. When she gets another 5th level slot, I take the second Chaotic Commands which I use on a summon. As the 3rd pick I take True Seeing. This is absolutely valid for a cleric (mind you, clerics, not druids, are in question in this thread). If it's a druid, she chooses Ironskins, rests, casts, chooses Chaotic Commands, rests again. This way the druid is protected by Ironskins even after the rest. Unfortunately, such pleasant spell as Insect Plague, can only come later for me.

This is the only safe way of playing a solo no-reload run for me. I have the SCS installed though, and really every enemy caster constantly uses one of the spells that are blocked by Chaotic Commands.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Heindrich said:

@Elminister Oh really? I am pretty sure I've done that a few times before. What triggers the aggro? It's not a targeted attack and they don't get hurt...

I can confirm this but it feels like a bug.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

They still get hit by your spell however.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    Yeah when I first played bg2 aerial servants were the most powerful thing I ever had. They do quite a lot of damage.

However I believe they are bugged, they have high str for grappling and carrying purposes in pnp, and they do 8d4 damage with a punch because of their immense strength and monstrous status. However bg actually may give them a 8d4 innate weapon and let them enjoy strength damage bonus on top of that, hence they do more damage than they are supposed to, at least according to pnp rules. This is true for many golems as well, making them truly heavy hitters with their high dice innate weapons and monstrous str scores.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Areal servants are awesome, and, like invisible stalkers, they start out invisible when first summoned.