Skip to content

Best & worst epilogues

***SPOILERS***

Hey, so I just finished ToB for the first time and finally got to read the epilgoues (of course I read all of them right afterwards heh).

I was kinda dissappointed how gloomy Cernd's ending was. I guess that it goes in line with his negletful character though... Same goes for Sarevok, it made his alignment change to feel pointless. As if given a second chance only to be wasted.

Imoens epilogue was not as I expected it to be. I cant picture her walking the realms with Elminster (and Ascension adds such a LAAAAAAAME story about how she pickpockted him.. my god). And I dont know how dual-classing works in pen and paper, or in practice, but I thought the whole point was that she could no longer gain any thief-levels... and yet she starts her own guild? And I never thought of Imoen as a hard-cooked criminal, more that she enjoyed pilfering books from the libraries to tease with the monks. I found it to be off-color. The last line however, "Heya, it's me Imoen", got to me. That line is what I think of when I see my old Baldurs Gate discs in my bookshelf.

Haer'dalis was perfect. He is my favorite second to Imoen, his epligoue suited him fantastically. I wish there would have been some mention of Aerie, although I guess she was just one of his many muses in the realms.

What did you think of the epilogues? Any you find particularly good or bad?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Just because one isn't a master thief doesn't mean one can't lead a thieves' guild. Fat old men have lead armies but they probably couldn't fight half as well as the men they commanded.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Cernd probably has my favorite epilogue. It's a bit sad but every story doesn't have a good ending.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited March 2015
    I don't see Imoen as a hardened criminal. I imagine her guild is really just a way to help other orphans and urchins like herself, and she trains to steal only from bad people and gather information that will help bring them down.

Maybe you didn't see it in your game, but it doesn't work out between Haer'Dalis and Aerie, so they both moved on and went seperate ways.

Although I don't actually like Aerie's romance that much, her romance epilogue is quite nice where she and bhaalspawn go travelling and exploring the world... that seems to me to be her real character. A kind of vagabond who's really just in it for the exploration and adventure and learning everything she can about the world, rather than seeking out evil to fight (although she'll fight evil when she comes across it and always help people when she can). Although her non-romance ending where she turns all vigilante and turns into a one avariel army fighting slavers is also pretty good.

Viconia... well she actually gets a better ending if you don't romance her. That's kind of disappointing, but I guess not everything can have a happy ending, and to be fair she did warn you.

I can't think of any really 'bad' epilogues. A few made me a little bit sad, but that's not necessarily bad.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited March 2015
    Mazzy has my fav love it to bits, Keldorns is great too as is Korgans

I don't like viconias romance ending the events seem kind of weird when u consider the character levels your dealing with. But I guess that's always going to be an issue when you are dealing with such powerful characters.

I also don't like Sarevoks simply because it doesn't take any decisions uve made into account.

I don't like Rasaads romance epilogue, though as a rule of thumb I don't like endings that talk about a PCs death as i think that should be left up to the player
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    Keldorn's ending is probably my favorite, followed by Korgan, Edwin and Minsc. Least favorites are Dorn and Viconia ( both Romance and Non-Romance).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Yea I wasn't a fan of either of Rasaad's epilogues.

My favourite would be Keldorns.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Korgan's sending was great. Especially given his clan background. It really shows his world outlook perfectly.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Both of Viconia's endings are awesome.

I also really like Jaheira's non-romance ending, as it is very touching and really shows how the Bhaalspawn crisis detrimentally affected people who came too close to it. You get the idea that Jaheira, trying to do the right thing by getting involved in the crisis, has lost a lot from it.

Nalia and Cernd have great endings too.

Endings I didn't like? Hm .. I dunno. Probably Aerie's: I've never finished the game with her, and I don't remember what her ending is, but I assume it doesn't end with her dying, so it'll never satisfy me. :smiley:
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    I actually really liked Sarevok's ending despite there being only one regardless of whether you redeem him. Either way, I do think they captured part of what he must have felt - being caught between life and death, and forever dwelling on the one person he truly did love.

Both Viconia's romance ending and Keldorn's ending are two of my other favorites. Despite the antagonism between them, I love having both in my party, and their deaths are bittersweet. Since he is my favorite NPC, I have to admit I choked up a little the first time I read it.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    "after a short prison term for monkey smuggling, he returned to his first love... monkey smuggling"

I <3 JJ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited March 2015
    Another one I like is Edwins

...serves him right for trying to fight Elminster!
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    abacus said:

"after a short prison term for monkey smuggling, he returned to his first love... monkey smuggling"

I <3 JJ</p>

Agreed!

"Jan would deny that he had planned the downfall of the rogue, but he was unable to explain what practical application he had intended for a horde of knife-wielding simians.'
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Dorn's romance epilogue is note-perfect. The last line of Edwin's made me laugh. I like that even though Mazzy never becomes a paladin, her worth as a hero ends up being confirmed anyway.

Least favorite would probably be Hexxat's, as I'm pretty sure it's the only epilogue in the entire game that focuses on someone other than the character in question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    Alot of people seemed to like Cernd.. Poor guy, no one liked him in life.

I guess my biggest gripe with it is that he was the only one with a very bitter fate, and you could do naught to change it. I mean, Keldorn dies as well for example, but his death is of one in glory. (And honestly, its so over-dramatic. He is NOT that good. nowhere near good enough for some God to reach down and grab him...).

I kinda like Edwins, but I think the whole Edwina thing is kinda misogynic? Like its such a bad thing to be a woman. Jans is just silly but hey, what could one expect.
  • NybCRNybCR Member Posts: 27

I kinda like Edwins, but I think the whole Edwina thing is kinda misogynic? Like its such a bad thing to be a woman.

I dunno. I never thought of it a misogynistic. As a woman, I'd hate it if I had to live out the rest of my life as a man. That's not a knock against guys; I just prefer to be what I was born as.

I imagine the same would be true for most people - most especially Edwin, who did not like his brief stint into womanhood during Shadows of Amn, and was taunted relentlessly for it by his companions.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    NybCR said:

I kinda like Edwins, but I think the whole Edwina thing is kinda misogynic? Like its such a bad thing to be a woman.

I dunno. I never thought of it a misogynistic. As a woman, I'd hate it if I had to live out the rest of my life as a man. That's not a knock against guys; I just prefer to be what I was born as.

I imagine the same would be true for most people - most especially Edwin, who did not like his brief stint into womanhood during Shadows of Amn, and was taunted relentlessly for it by his companions.
    Agreed... I think its more that he was so egregiously offended by the initial experience, but apparently learned nothing about the consequences of the quest for power.

Also... "tending bar" for one who only wanted 2000 years and a pointy hat!
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,551
    Viconia's romance ending SUCKS. When I read it, I was going to destroy my laptop.
    I liked all the other epilogues. I did not try Cenrd and EE PNGs though.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Edwin is misogynistic. That's what makes it so funny. :)