Skip to content

The Real Wizard Slayer Party

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Something that I thought of...

Monk Charname: 78% MR base at lvl 26. +10% from hell trials for 78%. + 10% from Ring of GAx for 88%. +5% from the Machine of Lum the Mad = 93% MR. Then add amulet of magic resistance for 98% magic resistance.

Raasad: 78% MR base at lvl 26. Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance +10% for 88%.

Viconia: 65% MR base. +20% from Human Flesh armor for 85%. Shield of the Lost gives +5%, Amulet of Power for +5% MR. Gives 95% magic resistance.

Jan Jansen: UAI with Cormosyr for 50%. Robe of Vecna for 55%. Amulet of the seldarine gives + 10%, for a total of 65%. Add in spell protections as needed.

For even more protection, chug a potion of magic protection (+50% magic resistance) before a major boss fight. Mostly for Jan and maybe Raasad.

Even without the potions, just walking into a mage will cause any mage to weep in despair. Almost all spells will simply bounce off. And in addition, the party is balanced with 2 close combat warriors, a cleric, and a thief/mage.

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2015
    Very nice party, but I'd still pick a Dwarven Wizard Slayer Charname instead of a Monk. They'll get by in early/mid SoA thanks to good saves and Vicky's Chaotic Commands, and in late SoA and Tob they get fantastic MR that can be enhanced with Sword of Balduran and Amulet of Seldarine (in addition to some of the items you mentioned for your Monk Charname).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    For a dwarven wizard slayer, they only get 1% of MR per level. So, assuming that he reaches lvl 30 and has proficiencies in katanas and longswords...

30% MR base, +10% from Sword of Balduran, +10% from the other sword. Add in the +5% MR armor, and +15% from Hell/Lum the mad, and the wizard slayer ends up with 65% MR. He can't boost it any further from amulets or rings.

In comparison, the monk has 98% magic resistance. The monk also can have bracers of +4 to hit, with his fists being 1d20+4 weapons already.

I just don't see what an actual Wizard Slayer can do that another class can't do better.

Even a Charname Inquisitor.

Purifier (+30% MR), Sword of Balduran (+10%), Amulet (+10%), Hell+Mad (+15%), Gax (+10%). That's 75% magic resistance right there, with a super strong dispel and true sight built in. A much better wizard slayer than the wizard slayer!
    edited March 2015

Jan isn't able to use Carsomyr unless he has a strength boost, even with UAI.
    On a side note, how ironic it is that your ultimate wizard slayer group has no wizard slayer. Commentary on the class, obviously...

True. Then again, with a 4 man party, it's quite easy to throw a belt Jan's way that increases his strength.

And yes, it is a pretty damning statement as to the wizard slayer. Monks and inquisitors just do their job so much better that they become worse than redundant.

As a note, I used a wizard slayer in the black pits. He really didn't add anything of value and wasn't all that good at killing wizards. Any wizard worth fighting will have enough spell protections up that getting a hit isn't easy. And once you can hit, they die fast enough that the wizard slayer's bonuses are superfluous. Casting penalties on a corpse don't do much.

On the other hand, I found that the equipment penalties really hurt, and that an inquisitor did the job so much better that it was just sad.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Not that I think taking a wizard slayer is ever optimal, but they get more MR by level 30 than you're crediting them for. After level 20 their MR alternates between 1% and 5% per level, so at level 30 they have 54% magic resistance. That brings the WS to 89% in total, which is more in line with the other options.

Of course, Miscast Magic isn't exactly gonna be necessary here, so I can't say I really see the point.
    Grum said:

For a dwarven wizard slayer, they only get 1% of MR per level. So, assuming that he reaches lvl 30 and has proficiencies in katanas and longswords...

30% MR base, +10% from Sword of Balduran, +10% from the other sword. Add in the +5% MR armor, and +15% from Hell/Lum the mad, and the wizard slayer ends up with 65% MR. He can't boost it any further from amulets or rings.

In comparison, the monk has 98% magic resistance. The monk also can have bracers of +4 to hit, with his fists being 1d20+4 weapons already.

I just don't see what an actual Wizard Slayer can do that another class can't do better.

Even a Charname Inquisitor.

Purifier (+30% MR), Sword of Balduran (+10%), Amulet (+10%), Hell+Mad (+15%), Gax (+10%). That's 75% magic resistance right there, with a super strong dispel and true sight built in. A much better wizard slayer than the wizard slayer!

Note that the MR for a wizard slayer tops out at 84% at level 40: 1% each level to 19, 5% at level 20 and then alternating 1% and 5% for the next 20 levels. They can use the Amulet of Seldarine (only necklace they can use). I think they're OK in smaller parties (maybe just Jan Jansen, Vicky and Charname Wizard Slayer).
    Huh. In that case, I stand corrected. 54% MR base. +15% from Hell and Mum for 69%. The amulet of the seldarine pushes them up to 79%.

It's not as good as a monk 98%
    It's not as good as inquisitor (50% from the sword, amulet for 10%, upgrades for 15%, ring for 10%, armor for 5%=90%)

But it is much better than I gave them credit for.
    I know my defense of (love for) the WS is irrational and that Monks are superior, but if in your example you give the Inquisitor Carsomyr, then you could also give an evil WS the Human Flesh Armor, and the Sword of Balduran for 99% MR. Also, in a small party of 3-4 characters, you'll end up with a higher level than 30 and thus higher MR than 54%, whereas Monks' MR does not increase any further beyond lvl 26.

My main issue with the WS is that their spellfailure penalty doesn't work the way it should in SCS because that mod's scripts pretty much overwrite the penalty.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In SCS, Shapeshifters get Greater Werewolf Tokens at level 13, which any druid can use. They give you 40% MR and 6 HP regeneration per round, and can be dual-wielded. I once played a party based on this: I had one Fighter/Druid multi, two Druids dual-classed to Fighter, and a Cleric/Thief who wore the Human Flesh with UAI. They all had crazy regeneration and MR.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    This is like that time when you walked in on the other kids discussing Magic: The Gathering strategy and you showed them your goblin deck because you thought the pictures were cool. There was silence and then someone said Black Lotus - Channel - Fireball, and then they all started laughing at you, but you had no idea what they were laughing about...

;) I love these party concept discussions! I've learned more about the various classes on these forums than I ever did in years of playing the game.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    edited March 2015
    In Black Pits 2, where you can get the Cloak of Balduran, everything just gets so much easier after putting the cloak on your monk. 78% base MR +25% from the cloak = 103% Magic immune monk :smiley:

Only the golem fights gave me any trouble after that happened.. Btw, MR doesn't protect you against Imprisonment.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    My Swashbuckler (Need BG2:EE) is a one man (wizard) slayer party:
    Base AC: 2
    21dex (19 elven, +1 from MoLtM+ 1 from deck of many things+ 1 from Malla soulstone -1 from hell trials): 5AC
    Hell Trials+ MoLtM: 15% Magic resist
    Purifier +5: 30% MR
    Cloak of the Balduran (import from BG1/ get in BP2): 25% MR 1 AC
    Ring of Gaxx: 10% MR 2 AC
    Armor of Silver Dragon scales (the one you get in Dorn quest I believe): 12AC 15% Magic resist
    Amulet of the Master Harper: 3 AC
    Ring of Earth control: 1AC
    As for boots and belt: Boots of speed are a must have IMO, the game is way too slow without them. Strength belt are good as well

Overall:
    Solo wielding with blur scroll: 95% magic resist -26AC
    Dual wielding Yamato +4 with Blur scroll, replacing ring of Earth control by lvl 25 priest ring: 100% magic resist -25AC

Another alternative would be taking +2AC in hell, replace amulet of the master harper by one of the Seldarine and Malla Soulstone by an AC headgear (dex being no longer needed to reach 21)

Of course Cloak of the Balduran allows much more possibilities due to its very high amount of magic resistance. I added blur scroll even if it is not a permanent buff because the scroll can be found nearly anywhere in a fairly high amount, but for most fights mirror image from Ibratha and -22 AC would be more than enough.

In a vanilla "old" BG2 with no exploit (importing Cloak of the Balduran), in one run, I believe the lowest reachable AC not taking drow equipment in account while still keeping 100% MR would be
    Wizard slayer/thief dualed lvl 25: 36% magic resist
    Wielding Purifier (30% magic resistance)
    Ring of Gaxx (10% magic resistance 2AC)
    MoLtM+ hell trials (15% MR)
    Enkidu s plate (12AC 5% magic resistance)
    Priest ring (5% MR)
    Darksteel+4 (5AC)
    Amulet of the master harper (3AC)
    Helm of the Balduran (1AC)
    Cloak of the Sewer (1AC)
    18dex(4AC)
    Gauntlet of Tzu Zan (1AC)

This would make an overall:
    101% magic resist
    -18AC down to -21 with blur

In a BG2EE single run without black pits between SoA and ToB (basically without Cloak of the Balduran) you would get AC in hell rather than magic resistance, and the silver scale armor I mentioned earlier to compensate the loss of MR. You would also get cloak of the dark moon rather than cloak of the sewer:
    That would be a total of -21AC, -24 with blur
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Remember that if you take a paladin with you for a short duration of time, you can pick up the Purifier which gives you 20% MR at +4 and 30% at +5.
    SionIV said:

Remember that if you take a paladin with you for a short duration of time, you can pick up the Purifier which gives you 20% MR at +4 and 30% at +5.

Actually you need not have a paladin, you just need a LG character, Rasaad works as well
    edited March 2015
    Arunsun said:

SionIV said:

Actually you need not have a paladin, you just need a LG character, Rasaad works as well
    I didn't know that, thank you for that information. Then again i don't think there are any LG NPC's other than Keldorn in BG2? I don't use Rasaad.
    I believe Aerie is LG as well, and so is Anomen after his quest. Maybe Mazzy as well, not so sure for her though
    SionIV said:

Arunsun said:

SionIV said:

I didn't know that, thank you for that information. Then again i don't think there are any LG NPC's other than Keldorn in BG2? I don't use Rasaad.
    Mazzy and Aerie are both LG as well, as is Anomen once he has passed his test. The latter two can't wield the sword but should be able to pick it up.
    Arunsun said:

I believe Aerie is LG as well, and so is Anomen after his quest. Maybe Mazzy as well, not so sure for her though

SionIV said:

Arunsun said:

SionIV said:

Mazzy and Aerie are both LG as well, as is Anomen once he has passed his test. The latter two can't wield the sword but should be able to pick it up.
    Just shows how little i look at Alingments in this game :smiley:
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    kcwise said:

This is like that time when you walked in on the other kids discussing Magic: The Gathering strategy and you showed them your goblin deck because you thought the pictures were cool. There was silence and then someone said Black Lotus - Channel - Fireball, and then they all started laughing at you, but you had no idea what they were laughing about...

;) I love these party concept discussions! I've learned more about the various classes on these forums than I ever did in years of playing the game.

Hit them with a Dauthi/Spinal Graft/Dark Ritual deck. ;) You can also use Unholy Armour, and Endless Scream if they last more than 4 turns. The only rareless deck I used that could end a game fast enough to be competitive vs high bankroll kids. Heh, I even made a Portal size deck for it, slightly smaller, and thus even faster. Nobody could reliably beat it when I used it, eventually I added a Kormus Bell for the extra versatility, but almost never ever needed it. Using Dark Ritual is no cheatier than Black Lotus, so there!

Ahem, ubernerdery aside, Inquisitors do a great number on mages, as do evil Dwarven WS, but the inquisitor is more straight forward.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Going back to the use of Monks as Anti-Mage Mooks, stealth in and "backstab" them with a Stun or Instant Kill. Yes it isn't a technical backstab but I think you still get a to hit bonus for attacking from Stealth.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @CaptRory: You get a +4 THAC0 bonus with melee weapons when you are invisible or hidden. This bonus goes away once you make an attack, even if you're under the effects of Mislead or Improved Invisibility. So the Monk will get a slight bonus when attacking while hidden.
    I have never found mages to be a real challenge in this game, they can be utterly destroyed by any Inquisitor (totally OP dispel magic) and if you do not have an inquisitor in your team, well, there are too many strong items that totally wreck them, cloak of mirroring, carsomyr, staff of the magi, etc...
    Not to mention there AI is not that good, nor is their gear. They do not have anything to reduce cast time, and that is just stupid, for once you dispeled their first wave of protections they get through contingency, they all but die because they have no time to use another protection.
    Concerning their AI, the best example would be the fact they immediately use true sight when someone invisible is in their sight. Meaning that sending an hidden assassin would force them to use true sight, then you just have to backstab them for a quick, simple one shot.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660

@CaptRory: You get a +4 THAC0 bonus with melee weapons when you are invisible or hidden. This bonus goes away once you make an attack, even if you're under the effects of Mislead or Improved Invisibility. So the Monk will get a slight bonus when attacking while hidden.

Thought so. +4 Bonus, not bad if you're leading off with a Stunning Blow, especially in the first game when you need to eke out extra bonuses where you can find them.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    @Arunsun,
    when you know the game mages are not a real challenge. But at that point, using proper tactics, nothing in the game is a real challenge.

Before gathering sufficient knowledge, they are among the hardest foes in the game.

Back to the original question, i don't think that stacking MR makes the ultimate wizard slaying party.
    You don't really need more than 1 magical immune character.

I would rather replace the second monk by an inquisitor (mages without protections = dead) or blackguard (poison weapon OP-ness). This would also make for an easier early game.
    @mumumomo
    Now I do know the game quite well, but even when I first made a playthrough, I found mages relatively easy (except Kangaxx maybe) and I have really had a lot more problems dealing with Abazigal or Demogorgon than with Sendai or Irenicus.
    By the way, I wouldn't say the game is overall easy even with proper tactics. My example would be the planar hunters fight in BP2 which is a real, real challenge in Insane