Skip to content

Snowy Tae: A Cleric/Mage/Thief in SCS2

I have long wanted to play as a Cleric/Mage/Thief in BG2, and was always disappointed that the engine does not permit it. But after a bit of thought, I have realized that it is entirely possible to create such a character by fiddling around in Near Infinity.

The game still doesn't support a triple-class besides a FMT or FMC. But I can approximate the class by doing several things.

I create a gnomish Illusionist/Thief and apply a custom SPCL ability (kit-based passive effect) which penalizes her XP by 33%. This gives her the same mage and thief level progression as a triple class, and will prevent her from reaching mage level 18, meaning no 9th-level spells, just like a triple class.

I duplicate various cleric spells and tweak them so that they are classified as mage spells. This means they are detected by the Cowled Wizards and are blocked by wearing armor, but I can assign them to my gnome with Shadowkeeper and she can cast them just like any cleric could. I create a ring that permanently doubles level 1 to 7 mage spell slots, and my gnome will dedicate half of those slots to cleric spells. She won't have exactly as many spells of each kind as a normal CMT, but it will be close.

Finally, I tweak a .2da table to let her add proficiencies in cleric weapons, and give her UAI so she can use helmets and such. She will still pick UAI as her first HLA, and until then, she won't be using items that a cleric/mage or cleric/thief could not use.

This gives me a character that has thieving abilities, cleric spells, mage spells, and a cleric's item restrictions, at least until we get UAI legally. She still can't Turn Undead, or cast cleric spells while wearing armor, and her HP, saving throws, and THAC0 will be slightly off, as well as her spell slots to some extent, but otherwise she will function just like a real Cleric/Mage/Thief.

I also have worked out how to create a Monk with some Stalker bonuses, an Avenger/Bounty Hunter, a Monk/Sorceror with a Barbarian kit on top, an Archer/Skald, and an Enchanter/Paladin. Normally these aren't possible, since dual- and multi-classing options are hardcoded, but you can get around this by using a similar character as a base and editing a CLAB file to ensure they get the right bonuses. For instance, to get an Archer/Skald, you add an Archer's THAC0, damage, and APR bonuses to the Skald kit's .2da file, give bards some extra proficiency points and the ability to attain grandmastery in missile weapons, and then create a Skald and apply an XP penalty to slow its growth. You have to have the right base, though: no character besides a bard is ever going to get a bard song, so any bard multiclass has to be based on a normal bard. Same goes for Turn Undead, restricted to clerics and paladins, and thieving skills, restricted to thieves.

Thus, we have Snowy Tae, a gnomish Cleric/Illusionist/Thief! I will be taking her through SCS2 solo, but this is not a no-reload run, as the character is new and unfamiliar to me. Later tonight I will post on her initial progress.

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2015
    Well if you are good enough you can create a sorcerer type character via innates or recreate the cleric spell table the same way.

Also great idea on a new fun character.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @FrozenDervish: I don't think innates would quite suffice, at least not without creating LOTS of .2da files. The sorcerer's thing is that their spells are depleted based on levels rather than specific spells.
    To mimic that for an innate spell (this could also work for other types of spells, actually), you'd have to duplicate the system from Spell Immunity, where casting the spell produces a set of spell options. But you'd need a separate spell and .2da table for every level, and on top of that, you'd have to add a new table if you want to add a level progression for the variety of spells. So, if you want a level 7 sorcerer mimic to cast either Fireball or Haste as their level 3 spell, but allow a level 12 sorceror to cast Fireball, Haste, or Slow, then you'd need a separate table for that, plus a separate spell, AND you'd have to create a spell or SPCL file that would remove the old Fireball/Haste spell and replace it with a Fireball/Haste/Slow spell. And allowing the player to customize which spells they want--say, if they want a Fireball/Haste/Spell Thrust option instead--would require an external dialogue and probably some global variables. It's certainly doable, but it would be an absolute mess.

What's the cleric spell table?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Interesting concept @semiticgod. I've also always wanted to create that multi, as well as a Fighter/Cleric/Thief multi. Looking forward to following this thread.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    @semiticgod That's what I'm talking about innates make them similar to sorcerer spells, but as innates. You could also do it in the cleric spell table to make it similar to a favored soul.
    edited March 2015
    After killing some forest critters and accepting Lord Logan Coprith's offer, Snowy Tae trots off to the Druid Grove. With Free Action and Web, even Trolls are quickly subdued.

By now, Snowy Tae has also acquired 5th level spells, and therefore Cloudkill. I don't often use Greater Malison, to be honest, but it seems far more effective than I'd expected. Kyland Lind and all his hippie friends croak in a toxic fog while Snowy Tae looks on.

It also works marvelously on Dalok. It's quite excessive.

A fighter escapes the Web spells and walks around from the north to take a swipe at Snowy Tae, but this is easily handled. I just run right through the Web and the cloud and let the fighter follow me through.

Cernd mauls Faldorn. Yay!

Now all that's left is to kill some djinn. Snowy Tae's saves are strong enough to resist Flesh to Stone, and her summons have enough damage power to carry the battle.

The djinn try to boost themselves with Stoneskin and Improved Haste, but Snowy Tae can dispel both with Remove Magic. The djinn don't stand a chance.

I still encounter the same bug, in which the merchants won't sell to you even after the djinn are dead and Guildmistress Busya acknowledges it, so I cheat in Ihtafeer's furry noggin and give it to Khan Zahraa. But not before slaying Taquee with CTRL-Y. I still want that bottle.

We return to Athkatla triumphant. Since Snowy Tae's save vs. spell is now at -1 when buffed, and since we have an extra source of area effect damage in the form of our new Efreeti's Fireball spells, I decide to go fight Pai'Na.

Oh wow. This went so, so badly.

You know those peasants in Pai'Na's lair that she turns into spiders the moment the battle starts?

Well, despite being the mere vessels of Pai'Na's spiderlings, those people apparently count as innocent bystanders. Which means that entering the area while hidden, and then trying to wipe out the incoming spiders with Cloudkill, is a very, very bad idea.

Snowy Tae's reputation is now at 4. The first gnomish Cleric/Illusionist/Thief in BG2 history has the dubious honor of being Despised less than halfway through Chapter 2.

If my memory is correct, this means Snowy Tae might get ambushed by the Amnish Legion the next time she shows her face in public.

Snowy Tae massacres Pai'Na with summons and a Flame Blade, then heads out into a potentially hostile new world.

We do get ambushed on the way to the Promenade, but not by the authorities. Suna Seni has finally decided to make her move. Snowy Tae and the gang of slavers trade disabling spells, but Snowy Tae is the only one with guaranteed saves.

I almost never memorize Greater Command, but since we only need one casting of Chaotic Commands, and so many mages are immune to 3rd- or 4th-level spells and below, Greater Command offers us a fast albeit unreliable means of bringing down many of BG2's early game threats. And though Snowy Tae has abysmal APR and THAC0, her Skeletons are great at pouncing on prone targets, as their collective APR adds up quickly.

Snowy Tae has invested very, very heavily in disablers, which are a particularly big deal in SCS2. The problem with damaging spells is that so many SCS2 enemies, even Trolls, carry potions, and though some of those potions grant immunities to some or all disablers, all potion-carrying enemies carry healing potions, and will use them at a moment's notice. A lone Fireball spell can toast vanilla enemies, but in SCS2, it's more likely to just force a potion drained, which means we get less loot. And with multiple disabling spells, Snowy Tae can let her summons forge their way across the battlefield.

We need to build reputation to save money on future purchases, so Snowy Tae brings back the Web spells and Protection from Normal Weapons to deal with the slavers in the Slums.

I accidentally trigger the Prismatic Spray trap before disabling it, but Snowy Tae is unaffected. All it does is petrify some random goon.

After using Web again on the Beastmaster, I decide Web spells are getting old.

I decide to lay off the webs for a while.

EDIT: I forgot when exactly I bought the Robe of Vecna and donated money to the Temple of Ilmater at Waukeen's Promenade, but I believe I got the Robe of Vecna right before Firkraag's lair, mentioned below. I don't know when I donated to the temple, but I spent 6000 gold in six increments to boost my reputation by 5 points (the last 1000 gold had no effect).
    10.bmp 894.4K
    11.bmp 894.4K
    12.bmp 898.2K
    14.bmp 892.6K
    13.bmp 892.6K
    16.bmp 894.4K
    15.bmp 892.6K
    17.bmp 894.4K
    18.bmp 894.4K
    19.bmp 888.8K
    20.bmp 900.1K
    21.bmp 894.4K
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Nice character name! This is going to be a fun read.
    Tomorrow I shall post on Snowy Tae's more recent progress, including what is perhaps the longest and craziest fight I've ever had to face in BG2.
    Eventually I realize that I don't actually need to delay fighting Rayic Gethras like I did with Poppy, because Snowy Tae's save vs. spell renders her immune to Sphere of Chaos, and basically anything else Ray-Ray can throw at me. This means I can get some easy XP from the Mae'Var questline!

Ray-Ray in SCS2 has quite the defensive cocktail at the beginning of battle, featuring immunities to basically everything I've got. Even if I try to break through his GOI with a high-level disabler, he is extremely unlikely to fall for it, as his save vs. spell is 1.

But I have a trump card, in the form of one of my least favorite and most boring spells: Melf's Acid Arrow. I hit him with an Acid Arrow and turn him hostile. My summons, a mass of Skeletons, are immune to cold, and therefore can attack Ray-Ray without fearing his Fire Shield.

The Acid Arrow disrupts his first spell! I have Snowy Tae use her Detect Illusions ability, which is resting at around 80%. It takes time to dispel his illusions, due to bad luck, but Ray-Ray cannot capitalize on the situation, as he is struggling with the acid damage.

Better yet, Ray-Ray chose to protect himself with PFMW. And my Skeletons only use normal weapons. They quickly break through his Stoneskins.

In retrospect, it was a perfect setup. The Acid Arrow threatened to ruin any slow-casting spell from Ray-Ray, which means no Death Spell on my summons. On top of that, both his PFMW and Fire Shield spell were meaningless to my summons. The battle might have dragged on much longer if he had used, say, Mantle, or Fire Shield: Red.

I report back to Edwin, then to Mae'Var, spare Embarl's life, report to Mae'Var, and finally come back to Edwin. The Mae'Var questline is coming to an end.

Edwin says he knows about my ties to Renal Bloodscalp and offers a suggestion on how to ruin Mae'Var. There is a line of dialogue here that I have always found profoundly ridiculous, as it makes no sense in the context of your quest.

Edwin brushes it off, but there's a second dialogue option affirming your support for Mae'Var. I choose to pick it, since I've never tried it before.

Edwin doesn't take it too well.

I turn invisible before the guards spawn in and attack. Curiously, I find that when I enter later, Gorch and the other guild members in Mae'Var's employ are not hostile. Apparently Edwin's order does not turn the whole guild hostile.

This means I can go get those documents Renal wanted!

Except they're in a locked container. That can't be picked. You need Edwin's key to get the documents, and Edwin is gone. I can't give Renal any documentary proof of Mae'Var's wrongdoings. I report to Renal, who simply reiterates that he needs those documents, which I cannot receive.

The quest appears to be broken. But maybe there's another option. I go talk to Mae'Var to see if there's a possibility of betraying Renal, and finishing the quest on Mae'Var's side. But Mae'Var isn't feeling very chatty.

The questline is broken. I cannot expose Mae'Var without the documents, and I can't get the documents without Edwin's key.

But there's still one thing I can do. I've heard that Renal Bloodscalp carries a pair of Boots of Speed, which DLTCEP says cannot be pickpocketed. But the boots are still droppable, which means I can get an early pair of Boots of Speed by attacking Renal!

I return to Renal's place, bring out some summons, and attack. Kitty webs him.

Renal dies quickly, and drops the boots I wanted. I decide to linger around to finish off the other thieves for some bonus XP, but then I notice one of the enemies is simply not going down.

It's Arkanis Gath. He must be unkillable because he appears with Mook on Bodhi's first task. I decide to flee the area.

For the sake of thoroughness, I deem it wise to go ahead and slay Mae'Var. The guild is now finally hostile. I expect another easy fight, but it turns out the thieves are more numerous than I remembered.

It's a hopeless situation. Even when prebuffed with Stoneskin, Snowy Tae didn't last a single round. She couldn't even bring up a Sanctuary. This marks Snowy Tae's first death.

I am weary of the Shadow Thieves' petty squabbles and backstabbing shenanigans, so I join Bodhi with particular gusto.

I take on Bodhi's first task and return to the Docks to kill Mook and get the shipment Bodhi wanted. But right after I finish casting my buffs, I see a familiar face.

He's still around! I check his files. He is indeed immune to death magic, disablers, and his HP cannot drop below 1. Unkillable and unstoppable. On top of that, he's always hasted, invisible, AND he can see through my invisibility.

And he has excellent THAC0, to boot. Thankfully, we have Stoneskin to protect us from his nonsense.

No worries, really. All I need to do is kill Mook and grab the package. Arkanis Gath does not need to die anyway.

When we get to Mook, we find a surprise.

Arkanis Gath has a clone! But this one isn't as vicious or invincible. He also has a different sprite, appearing as an unarmored fighter instead of a hooded thief.

We can kill the newer Arkanis Gath, but all we really need is Mook. I knock her out with a Greater Command spell.

She's still invisible, but I can reveal her with Detect Illusions. She doesn't last long after that.

To my confusion, Bodhi is not impressed with my work.

Turns out I forgot about the package entirely. Thankfully, it's still there.

On the way out, Arkanis Gath reappears to hassle me. I use a special trick to keep him at bay: just outside the Sea's Bounty Tavern, I summon a group of Skeletons right on top of me, forming a wall against Arkanis Gath. Once the Skeletons appear, I can run out of the group and leave little Miss Arkansas to fuss with my summons.

I return to Bodhi triumphant. But the battle I started is not yet over.
    40.bmp 896.3K
    41.bmp 896.3K
    42.bmp 898.2K
    43.bmp 898.2K
    44.bmp 898.2K
    45.bmp 894.4K
    46.bmp 894.4K
    47.bmp 896.3K
    48.bmp 898.2K
    49.bmp 892.6K
    50.bmp 896.3K
    52.bmp 894.4K
    51.bmp 892.6K
    53.bmp 894.4K
    54.bmp 892.6K
    55.bmp 894.4K
    56.bmp 896.3K
    edited March 2015
    In a separate thread, @Lord_Tansheron pointed out that Arkanis Gath's instant death effect can be blocked with PFMW. Looking at the item file, STDEATH, it seems that the instant death effect uses opcode 55. This means you can avoid the death effect with Death Ward! That explains why I sometimes died instantly and other times just took a hit. I could have just buffed with Death Ward and weathered Arkanis Gath all the way through to Aran Linvail. My use of Limited Wish was unnecessary.

EDIT: And in another thread, @Gallowglass pointed out that Arkanis Gath is there specifically to prevent the plot from being broken, not just to screw you over. Now, I had spawned in Valen shortly before attacking Renal Bloodscalp, to make sure I could ally myself with Bodhi after the Shadow Thieves went hostile, but if you plan on siding with the Shadow Thieves, then it WILL probably break the game to attack Renal Bloodscalp. So if you've paid Gaelan Bayle, don't attack Renal Bloodscalp. It could break the plot.

Three good reasons to side with Bodhi, then: you get to fight thieves instead of vampires, you get a nonmagical speed weapon, and you can get an extra pair of Boots of Speed, if you're willing to brave Arkanis Gath.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    edited March 2015
    Nice tactics there with Arkanis (actually the only tactics you had at your disposal) and with Tolgerias. My experience the pickpocketing the latter is that stacked thieving potions make him an easy target.

Btw how does one casting of Animate Dead produce eleven Skeletons for you?
    @Blackraven: At some point I installed a mod to remove the summoning cap, and I think the same mod also increased the number of Skeletons summoned by Animate Dead. I never bothered uninstalling it, so I went ahead and made use of the extra Skeletons.
    All right. Tolgerias is dead but there are still hostile guards hanging around the Government District, plus some hostile non-guards as well. How do I get rid of these people without losing reputation?

Same way I got rid of Tolgerias. Get a non-allied critter to fight them instead.

I start with the cluster of guards in a corner. I charm one of them and have him fight the other guards. As long as my ally doesn't kill anybody, I'm sure not to lose reputation. He's pretty much doomed, anyway, though.

I plan on repeating the process with the remaining guys, until only one is left, but in the process, somehow I turn even MORE guards hostile.

I think what's happening is that, if a good character, such as a guard, turns hostile towards you, then he or she will turn other good characters against you as well, if the non-hostile characters see you and the hostile person together. Hostility spreads through sight.

I turn invisible and come back to charm the remaining hostiles one by one. I stay invisible to make sure their attention is on the right target.

When only one is left, I am left with a problem. I don't have anybody left to kill him with. And if I charm a bystander to get them to attack, I might lose reputation if the hostile person dies while the other person is under my control. The only way for me to avoid reputation loss is to cause a neutral character to kill a hostile character.

I think I know how to do that. First, I charm a neutral guard and have him get the attention of the remaining hostile guard.

My ally takes a few swings at him, but then runs away until the charm wears off. When my ally turns neutral, the hostile guard should keep attacking him, prompting the neutral guard to attack the hostile guard, slaying the hostile guard and leaving me with one neutral guard on the map.

My logic doesn't pan out. Both guards end up hostile.

I charm one of them and get him killed. Back to square one.

So, I decide to grab a new ally: one of the guards who appears to give a short dialogue in the Government District at night. I talk-block him and his buddies to make sure they don't start the dialog after I cast Mental Domination and become visible, since they despawn after the dialog. Unfortunately, the guard I charm ends up hostile anyway.

I have him kill the other hostile guard, followed by the Prison Guard who turned hostile earlier, trying to keep the number of enemies down.

My attempts to get rid of the hostile characters have failed. The guards I charm turn hostile after the charm wears off. It could be that Mental Domination has that effect, where the Ring of Human Influence does not, but neither effect is classified as a hostile spell, and Mental Domination didn't turn anyone hostile when the target made their save, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Finally, I devise a solution. I might not be able to kill off all of the hostile people on the map, but I can certainly move them around. I go around the map, track down hostile people, and charm them. Once they're under my control, I herd them to the far south end of the map and leave them there until the charm wears off.

Hostile good characters aren't easy to deal with. But a charm spell can move them to a safe place, and prevent other critters from turning hostile in the process.
    101.bmp 894.4K
    102.bmp 900.1K
    103.bmp 892.6K
    104.bmp 896.3K
    105.bmp 892.6K
    106.bmp 892.6K
    107.bmp 892.6K
    108.bmp 892.6K
    109.bmp 898.2K
    Hilarious (the attempts at getting rid of the hostile guards) and sweet (Snowy's treatment of the girl, giving her the Spider Figurine was very generous).