Skip to content

Let's Talk History!

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
This discussion was created from comments split from: Spears and Shields.

This is an interesting discussion and I wanna continue it, but I don't want to derail @Fiendish_Warrior 's original thread even more. :)

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think China has a significant history before the period of consolidation, but the Chin Dynasty iirc was big on cleansing history. So, while I agree China isn't really Egypt, its more we aren't certain what was going on during the Stone Age. China did not discover bronze as early as the so called Cradle of Civilization, but there is much thst can be happening before you have access to durable metal (Incas were incredibly advanced in many ways, and had no metal tools) China had to already have a large population, and thus it had to have a society, or more accurately, a number of societies that could coexist. China had some truly enourmous bsttles during the Warring States period as you mentioned, and you certainly can't support millions of people in China as primitive hunter/gatherers, so agriculture was obviously fairly advanced. I know China was a very early user of mechanical irrigation for farming for example, and China has some different domesticated staple crops too, so that couldn't be imported.

Crossbows are pretty advanced too actually, and Chinese used very large ones in seiges. Seige engines in the West showed up with Alexander iirc, so similar era.

As for the primitive military preceding the Warring States (well, also during), China had a pretty advanced military beauracracy. Actually, China I think was very good as beauracracy, eventually too good, but back then it was a big deal. Chariot use is pretty wrongheade, but chariots sound very good in theory, and most areas had to try them out before realizing how limited they are by terrain. Considering how hilly/mountainous much of China is though, kinda crazy they ever bothered.

Tldr; China was more advanced than 'stone age' technology suggests. Sun Tzu (well, his treatises) did not appear out of a vaccuum.

Regarding Egypt, yeah, the sheer age of the Old Kingdom boggles the mind. It was VERY important to Europeans to somehow explain away the obvious, and make Egyptians white. :p They even shot off the poor Sphinx's nose! That same attitude, 'if it's Civilization, its Western Civilization' has really made a mess of some regions.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited March 2015
    Well, I don't strictly disagree that certainty is difficult, but the explanation makes sense to me anyways, so I parrot it. ;) I am curious though how early iron using cultures warred, IE the Hittites. Did they use the same military tradition? And of course what about other very old civilizations. Seeing as they lost out, one expects they had some bad habits though.

Egypt btw was around wwwwaaaaayyy more than 3000 years ago. They were impossibly ancient by the time the Greeks started being Greeks, circa 1000 BC. Iirc, its more like 5 or 6000 years ago they got going. They got invaded by foreigners, including folks from what we call Ethiopia, and they were very black, even compared to the Egyptians.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    DreadKhan said:

Tldr; China was more advanced than 'stone age' technology suggests. Sun Tzu (well, his treatises) did not appear out of a vaccuum.

@DreadKhan
    I am not suggesting that China was Stone Age pre- Warring States Period. I am not particularly knowledgeable about the history of metallurgy, but I recall reading that China was slightly late to the party for the Bronze Age, possibly because of the availability of bamboo with which to make weapons and tools. I also know that once China picked up metallurgy, it advanced rapidly, and was the first to develop cast iron technology, which allowed mass production of iron weapons and tools on an industrial scale, which played a huge role in the development of massed warfare in the Warring States Period. (Better tools => Agricultural efficiency => Population boom => Bigger armies equipped with mass produced weapons.)
    DreadKhan said:

Chariot use is pretty wrongheade, but chariots sound very good in theory, and most areas had to try them out before realizing how limited they are by terrain. Considering how hilly/mountainous much of China is though, kinda crazy they ever bothered.

Actually the cradle of Chinese civilisation was the Yellow River, which flows out to the North China Plain, the "breadbasket" of China until the late-Song Dynasty (1200s). There used to be a saying that "whoever rules the northern plains rules China", because unifying such a fertile but indefensible territory is difficult, but if anyone has the strength to do it, it becomes nearly impossible for any other powers to stop him. The mountains that covers most of southern China along and south of the Yangtze River were not part of China when chariots were a big deal.
    DreadKhan said:

I think China has a significant history before the period of consolidation, but the Chin Dynasty iirc was big on cleansing history.

The Spring and Autumn Period and Warring States Period preceeding the Qin unification is actually relatively well documented. As you alluded to, the Chinese have always been OCD about bureacracy and recording things. (It's amazing how much of history of other eastern civilisations comes from Chinese records even after said civilisation disappeared without keeping their own records!) The Qin purges were mostly about ideology and philosophy, so we know about the "Hundred Schools of Thought", but most of the detail has been lost from most of the schools, except the few the Qin (and later the Han) Dynasty tolerated or encouraged. Hence Legalism and Confucianism became a big thing in China.

Before the Zhou and Shang Dynasties however (1600 BC), things get very sketchy. Chinese official education used to just claim that China has 5,000 years of history and counted the semi-mythological Xia Dynasty as historic fact. The truth is both more complicated and more interesting. Recent archaelogical evidence suggests a number of ancient civilisation existed in China dating from around the time of Xia Dynasty and even earlier. These were fairly sophisticated agricultural civilisations, but most of them were unrelated to the Han Chinese civilisation that would come to dominate the land that we call China. One of them is postulated to be the "Xia Dynasty" described by historians of later eras, but we don't know for sure. It is amazing to think that before the birth of Chinese civilisation, there were completely different cultures living within "China", rising and falling with the current of history, which could have taken an entirely different route. (Imagine if a parallel culture consolidated along the Yangtze River before the Han Chinese got there? It would be like Rome vs Carthage.)
    DreadKhan said:

Egypt btw was around wwwwaaaaayyy more than 3000 years ago. They were impossibly ancient by the time the Greeks started being Greeks, circa 1000 BC. Iirc, its more like 5 or 6000 years ago they got going. They got invaded by foreigners, including folks from what we call Ethiopia, and they were very black, even compared to the Egyptians.

Oh and @atcDave said ancient Egypt has 3000 years of history, not that it was 3000 years ago... Well actually they were there 3000 years ago, but they already had a few millenia under their belt by then. It's absolutely insane! lol
    @DreadKhan I meant to reply to your comment, but forgot about it until now!
    DreadKhan said:

I wonder if copper and tin are readily available in China?

Truth is, I have no idea! lol I guess China must have a fair amount, but not an over-abundance. Modern China had to import a lot of steel from Australia for the recent (and ongoing) construction boom, so ores aren't in limitless supply. I don't know about copper and tin specifically though. I do know that China has tonnes of coal. If the Industrial Revolution began in China, the world would have looked very different.

I probably should see what I can find out about pre-Chinese China.

I meant pre-"Han Chinese". The Han being the dominant culture in China that consolidated during the Han Dynasty (hence the name). It is postulated that one of the ancient kingdoms (I wish I remembered the name) were the ancestors of Shang and Zhou peoples (for whom we have clear archaelogical evidence). IIRC the connection was made due to similarities in house-design (a family living around a rectangular courtyard) and evidence of ancestor worship.

If everything was being recorded on organic material, it could be hard to find the concrete evidence.

The earliest evidence of Chinese writing were written on bones, most famously turtle shells. The next big leap was dried bamboo, which were cut into strips and tied into scrolls. This allowed pretty sophisticated bureaucracy by the time of the Zhou Dynasty. Paper was invented in the Han Dynasty, but I don't think it was actually used in large quantity until the end of China's Dark Ages.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

AND there were even older civilisations that the ancient Egyptians considered "ancient"!

Actually there weren't any. Well, maybe you could count Mesopotamia, but that would lead us to the definition of civilisation debate.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    iKrivetko said:

Heindrich said:

AND there were even older civilisations that the ancient Egyptians considered "ancient"!

Actually there weren't any. Well, maybe you could count Mesopotamia, but that would lead us to the definition of civilisation debate.
    I actually thought the Peruvian civilisation was older? Not that I have any credible evidence at hand to back that up, just something I've always thought of as "fact" but is more than likely rubbish, like most of my knowledge ;-)
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Egypt is really the oldest known civilization. There were rough contemporaries in the Mesopotamia area, and there were certainly foreign tribal groups the Egyptians interacted with. And a few stray city-states may pre-date Egypt.
    But no one pre-dates Egypt (as far as we know, always an important qualification!) for all the trappings we associate with civilization (writing, multi-city government, architecture).
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Ok, so, off topic a little, but I had to share this. This thread made me look up oldest civilizations and I landed on a top 10 list. At the end of it it said something about how we now are the product of all these great civilizations that came before and right under it was an ad showing a giant line at the DMV. Carry on.
    @iKrivetko I was thinking of the Sumerians... but you are right a quick wiki search shows that whilst Sumer might have been a bit older, it wouldn't be considered "ancient history" by the earliest ancient Egyptians. I must have got confused in whatever I was reading because it was probably talking from the perspective of Egyptians from a later era. For example for ancient Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom, Sumer would be considered ancient.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    edited March 2015
    DreadKhan said:

It was VERY important to Europeans to somehow explain away the obvious, and make Egyptians white. :p

The original rulers of the Egyptian empire were not Chadic, Berber and Semitic groups from the NORTH. We actually have the mummified remains of their old rulers and Ramses the Great was known to have had red hair. If you are implying the ruling class (or even early inhabitants) of Egypt were sub Saharan Africans you have been greatly misinformed.

Implying that Europeans blew off the sphinx's nose to hide something is about the silliest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I love timelines...

I like this one...

1mm = 10 years... Not sure what size it is supposed to be though originally...

Whilst civilisations may be interesting, I find just the cities to be really cool. Looked up the oldest thinking it would be Jericho, Middle East... habited since 9000BC... But turns out it is Amesbury, England habited since 10,800BC... I must admit they do have a good pub...

Anyway Egypt is not that ancient... Most of my mates are from Ancient Egypt...

I like the Sumerians, invented writing you know...
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Anduin said:

I must admit they do have a good pub...

I'll have to check it out if i'm round there :wink:
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited March 2015
    hispls said:

If you are implying the ruling class (or even early inhabitants) of Egypt were sub Saharan Africans you have been greatly misinformed.

Implying that Europeans blew off the sphinx's nose to hide something is about the silliest conspiracy theory I've ever seen.

I just read this entire thread looking for the place where @DreadKhan implied either of those things. Maybe I need to read the precursor thread.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Heindrich said:

@iKrivetko I was thinking of the Sumerians... but you are right a quick wiki search shows that whilst Sumer might have been a bit older, it wouldn't be considered "ancient history" by the earliest ancient Egyptians. I must have got confused in whatever I was reading because it was probably talking from the perspective of Egyptians from a later era. For example for ancient Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom, Sumer would be considered ancient.

Everyone knows that civilization goes back at least as far as the time of Netheril and Illefarn. If not all the way back to the Sarrukh. :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2015
    Anyways I always think its kind of crazy when you consider all that we've accomplished as a species even just in the last few decades, let alone how much things have improved from thousands of years ago. Particularly when you consider how long fairly advanced life forms (dinosaurs, birds, mammals, etc) have existed on this planet its pretty remarkable all that we've done in such a short period.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934

iKrivetko said:

Heindrich said:

I actually thought the Peruvian civilisation was older? Not that I have any credible evidence at hand to back that up, just something I've always thought of as "fact" but is more than likely rubbish, like most of my knowledge ;-)
    Not sure about that one. The Egyptians wouldn't know of their existence either way :D

As far as I am aware, civilisations in the most common definition of the word started appearing circa 3.5k BC. Of course, there were settlements way before that, but really advanced social structures didn't appear until around that time.
    edited April 2015
    Squire said:

Studded leather: yep. There is no historical evidence to show that this ever existed, yet D&D (and hence, every fantasy RPG setting that copies D&D) insists that it did. Same with "ringmail", which people believe comes from early depictions at drawing mail in tapestries.

@Squire I decided to reply to your comment here, to avoid derailing the fantasy armour thread.

I have no idea about ringmail, I assumed it was just a form of chainmail, but if it really was a fabrication, then that's news to me. As for studded leather... I swear I have seen Mongols depicted with studded-type armour leathers and furs.

I know for sure however that the Manchu used studded armour quite extensively, it was actually standard issue equipment for heavy infantry and heavy cavalry.

Qing Dynasty heavy armour.

The Emperor's personal armour.

I don't know how effective or otherwise the studs were, and also it's not leather amour. For reasons I don't know, the Qing put the metal scales in traditional Chinese/Eastern armour beneath the cloth, perhaps to easily distinguish the different "Banners" (sub divisions) of the army.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    edited April 2015
    Heindrich said:

For reasons I don't know, the Qing put the metal scales in traditional Chinese/Eastern armour beneath the cloth, perhaps to easily distinguish the different "Banners" (sub divisions) of the army.

Perhaps that's what the studs you're seeing are; rivets to hold the scales in place. I know that that's the case with brigandine, which is made up of metal plates sewn inside a leather jack.

Historians generally believe that brigandine is the armour that's often mistaken for studded leather, however, brigandine was considered heavy armour, and was worn by knights, while studded leather in D&D is light skirmisher armour, and is believed to be derived from modern bikers' leather.

I don't know for sure, though. This is just a guess. I know practically nothing about Chinese/Mongolian/Japanese armour, and most of what I know concerns mainly European armour, so it could well be that the Mongolians had an entire culture of studded armour. I just don't see what good it could do to put studs on a jack, when it just uses valuable steel, adds extra weight, and gives virtually no extra protection. If the studs were rivets to hold bits of metal on the inside, however, then that makes a lot more sense.

As for "ringmail", however: it is commonly believed by historians that it comes from images such as this:

We know that both Norman and Saxon knights wore mail, and since this had to be woven (it's from the Bayeux Tapestry btw), it'd have taken the better part of forever to create every single link, so it's likely that they represented mail by lots of big circles.