Skip to content

Watcher's Keep monsters and scaling

Hey, I have a quick question. Some time ago someone posted a nice formula explaining what circumstances have to be met in order to enjoy WK in all it's glory, i.e. having the best monsters around. Minimum EXP or level and minimum party members. I can't seem to find it now and I ask about it because I just entered WK with a party of 4 with 2 members (me and Neera) having over 6 million EXP and Imoen and Sarevok having around 3.5 million. Maybe someone knows this or can succeed in finding it where I failed?

When I first entered, I had Devil Shades in the room adjacent to the priest chamber - I took it as a good note since Devil Shades are - to my knowledge - as strong as it gets when it comes to shade creatures. Then I had to reload autosave from entering (game crashed) and when I went again, I met...sword spiders. And then, on the second level in the library where I usually encounter some awesome golems (juggernaut, sand, adamantine) I met...mephits. Frankly, it's beyond infuriating that being in the fabled Watcher's Keep and having characters with HLA I have to fight monsters I met in Irenicus' Dungeon.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Yeah. Sometimes you get (un)lucky and have to fight Vampiric Wraiths or something right upon entry. Those things are really nasty. Not sure how it decides whether or not to spawn them though...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Conceivably, the spawns might be partly random, and not dependent only on level. I believe I've seen Mephits in one room and Golems in another on the second level, without a change in level. And if my memory is correct, I've seen them respawn as well.