Skip to content

Dark Elven Chain?

I saw this item in EEKeeper. It would seem ideal for my Swashbuckler/Fighter, since it doesn't restrict thief skills and can be worn with rings of protection. However, I don't remember ever seeing it in-game. Where is it?

Comments

• CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    At the end of Dorn's questline, the final enemy has it.
  • AntaraReisAntaraReis Member Posts: 26
    Is that his SoA or ToB questline?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think @CaeDares is thinking of the elven chain in BG:EE. Dark Elven Chain is only available through romancing Viconia in BG2 (SoA).
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    TJ_Hooker said:

I think @CaeDares is thinking of the elven chain in BG:EE. Dark Elven Chain is only available through romancing Viconia in BG2 (SoA).

Ah, yes. Sorry, I completely disregarded that this was in the BG2EE section...my fault. TJ_Hooker is correct, however.
    Romancing Viconia? That's one steep requirement. All but impossible with female protagonist. Unless there is an exploit for sex-change in SoA?

BTW, if we're talking exploits, there was an old one involving getting the Cloak of Balduran via pausing in the first cut-scene. Does it still work in BG2EE?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    AntaraReis: I believe this has been fixed, but now you can get it in BP2 and therefore have it in ToB.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Arunsun said:

AntaraReis: I believe this has been fixed, but now you can get it in BP2 and therefore have it in ToB.

@Arunsun Please elaborate on this. Love the cloak and I want it for a monk.. :smiley:
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arunsun said:

It exists in the game-files for BP2 purposes (because in BP2 you can win it as a crowd-gift), so you can cheat it into BG2 (by console/EEkeeper/etc.), but there's no legitimate way to get it in the BG2 campaign.

Saying "in ToB" makes me wonder if you're thinking of
    the visit to the BP2 arena which occurs in Neera's ToB quest

... but no, you still can't get it legitimately because
    that visit doesn't include the crowd-gift mechanism (and the contents of the shops are different),

... although that does provide a legitimate way to get a couple of other good items which aren't otherwise obtainable.
    And here I was thinking you could somehow export your BP2 character into ToB. You DO get the cloak fairly early into the pits.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Yannir said:

And here I was thinking you could somehow export your BP2 character into ToB. You DO get the cloak fairly early into the pits.

Well yes, if you want to play ToB as a stand-alone game, rather than as a continuation of the BG2 campaign from SoA, then you could export a BP2 character and import it into ToB. But I'm taking it as read that playing the BG2 campaign means following your protagonist through from SoA into ToB. (Does anyone actually play ToB as a stand-alone game??)
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Gallowglass : I personnally love BP2 as I enjoyed BP1, and I made a copy of each NPC (stats, name etc...) I have been playing with since I got EE to be able to play BP 2 with them. Roleplay-wise, I just say things occurs in that order:
    BG1
    BP1
    SoA
    BP2
    ToB
    @Gallowglass I sometimes jump right into ToB to test out how some classes perform in high levels. Usually to the point I get out of Saradush. If I like how something performs, I start SoA with that class to start from scratch.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    @Yannir If you absolutely must have the Cloak of Balduran in BG2:EE (like I must), then all you need to do is this:
    C:CreateItem("clck05")

Back on topic though... Elven chain of any type (save for some really late game stuff) is hardly worth it for anyone. If you are a thief, or even a fighter thief, you will be better served by the leathers. The shadow dragon scale is the best AC you can find for your thief (excluding the ridiculous Adamantine Chain of the Drow) in SoA up until very near the end of SoA where you finally get an elf chain that means business. Even other leathers such as Aegar's Hide and Armor of the Deep Night are better than elven chain. Mages who are also fighters or thieves are better served by robes for the most part. The robe of Vecna is far better for them than the extra protection of elven chain. Even if that robe is taken, you are better served by the Bracers of Defense AC 3 than all but one elven chain... Or you can just cast Spirit Armor. If you are a bard just do Haer'Dalis's quest and get the Melodic Chain (technically elven chain, I guess, but for bards only) which is the best a casting bard can wear for most of the game. If you absolutely must have elven chain then there are 2 far easier ways to get it than to romance Viconia. You can get an ordinary elven chain at Trademeet by giving the ancestral necklace thing (whats it called?) to one of the feuding families. The resulting chaos will net you a suit of ordinary elven chain. You can get an elven chain +1 by siding with Bodhi when you eventually kill Aran Linvail.
    Indeed.

Not to mention it is non-magical, which means it can be worn with rings of protection. Ring of Earth Control plus magical armor is the usual choice, but rings of protection always seemed more stylish to me.
  • terezeroterezero Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone tried making a mod of this that allows it to actually be worn? 5 of my 6 characters can't wear the stuff, whereas I figured "hey, elven chain in black. New armor for my Fighter/Mage." Cue much disappointment.

Failing that, if someone could point me to a tutorial, I wouldn't mind taking a shot at the mod.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    terezero said:

Has anyone tried making a mod of this that allows it to actually be worn? 5 of my 6 characters can't wear the stuff, whereas I figured "hey, elven chain in black. New armor for my Fighter/Mage." Cue much disappointment.

can someone post the description of that item ?

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2015
    The description is, "Woven by the finest of elven craftsmen, this mail feels more akin to cloth than metal. The armor may be worn by Thieves with few penalties and by Fighter/Mages without removing their spellcasting ability." That is what you were asking for, I think? The item code, if you wanted to know, is CLOLTH.

You don't really need a mod to make this armor wearable by more characters, you just need to go into NearInfinity and edit the item. I've done that for you here; in this file the item is wearable by good and neutral characters, whereas the original item was only wearable by evil characters. I did not make the item wearable by classes that aren't supposed to wear it. Just unzip and drop the item file in your override folder. Note that this is not a mod and won't put the armor in the game, you'll have to do that yourself by consoling it or romancing Viccy.
    Post edited by Caeria on
    Does it actually have rogue penalties ?
    And the armorclass is the same as the elven chain, normal chain, or something better maybe ?
    edited December 2015
    Wait, it IS supposed to have penalties, just very slight ones.
    edited December 2015
    Nevermind.
    edited December 2015
    Found it, alas not that interesting for my fighter/thief

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: 4
    Weight: 8
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Mage
    Kensai
    Monk
    Beast Master
    Stalker
    Yeah, it's a pretty mediocre set of armor, but for some reason people seem to want it.
  • terezeroterezero Member Posts: 9
    I've been working with Near Infinity and I'm having zero luck with it (I'm not good at programming.) The program doesn't seem to register where my game files are :/ ....

Would anybody be willing to through me an altered version of the item?
    edited December 2015
    @terezero I'm not home right now, but if no one else uploads or by the time I'm home I'll happily do it for you. Maybe someone else will first though :smile:

Alternatively, what exactly is the problem with NI? Maybe I or someone else can walk you through it.
    @terezero Ok, here it is without alignment restrictions. Note that it still will not be wearable by pure mages, kensai, etc., as I did not remove these restrictions, only the alignment restrictions. I also did not remove the thieving penalties, since the description clearly states that the armor should have these, but I'll remove them for you if you want. Other than that, all you need to do is unzip and drop this into your override folder :smile: