Skip to content

Why Romance Jaheira?

AngmorAngmor Member Posts: 1
Well, I suppose the title of this thread is a little bit of a misnomer. I can think of plenty of reasons why I'd want to romance Jaheira. She's easily one of my favorite characters in the Baldur's Gate saga. Which is why I continue to wonder, why would Jaheira be interested in romancing the player?

It somewhat baffled me when I learned she was a possible romance option in BG2. Now whenever I play BG1, she and Khalid are by far the most widely-traveled and experienced members of the party, and so I see Jaheira falling naturally into the role of 'team mom'. So wanting to romance her might make a certain amount of sense from a freudian standpoint, but why would she be at all attracted to the player? She's an experienced adventurer and a Harper, whose word carries weight in many powerful circles (or it used to), while you are just a snot-nosed kid from a library who just happens to have the devil for a parent. Which brings up another point of contention; while as far as I know her age is never explicitly mentioned, I get the idea that she is significantly older than the player. She is at least old enough to have experienced several different shifts of fate, going from a noble child, to a druid, to an adventurer, to a Harper, to happily married. Which is yet another thing. She was married to Khalid, and loved him very much, enough that his loss was devastating to her. Which, as a parenthetical, is something that bothers me about the game in general. Seems like Bioware was on a rampage for killing off the less popular halves of certain character pairings, and doing so offscreen. I understand the reasoning, but it still feels a little cheap to me. Anyway, I just can't picture Jaheira seeking another relationship so quickly after losing the person with whom she expected to spend the rest of her life, especially on top of all the things I've just mentioned. Her first couple of romance talks betray a fairly obvious attraction toward the player, sure, but it just seems strangely forced and oddly timed; fanservice more than anything else. Jaheira is a wonderful character, but I just can't find a way that romancing her makes any sense from a roleplaying perspective.

Am I missing something here? Would some of these things be explained if I actually went through the complete romance? I am not at all familiar with the DnD canon outside of Baldur's Gate, so is there something there that I'm missing? I would love to hear some of the opinions out there.

Comments

• ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    I agree with all of your points. The Jaheira romance does not seem organic. It doesn't make sense for Jaheira to have such a strong attraction for the player character since she is the more experienced character, and her husband just passed away. I could understand if she dealt with grief in an odd manner, but from the way they wrote her, she falls in love with the player character.

The only caveat that I can think of is that CHARNAME is really special. CHARNAME may have charisma so high that regular relatable social dynamics are skewed. Further, he has the blood of a god. Perhaps that shifts the paradigm.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited March 2015
    Well, it may not plausible, but I think it is quite possible for Jaheira and Charname to fall in love for each other. After all, with the loss of Khalid and Imoen's kidnapping , you are to each other the only family you've got left.

In fact, the two thirds of the romance are actually a bromance - she wants to be closer to you because she respects you , and you want to be close to her because she is your dear friend.

In real life, when a sudden romance happens because of a recent loss, it is usually transitory and ends up with both sides learning from their mistake. Perhaps Jaheira's romance epilogue should have ended that way?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    My first reaction would be that she needs it. She needs to move forward after losing Khalid.

But as @DJKajuru said, and as I can tell from some personal experience, such romance is usually doomed to fail, mostly when everytime you think of you early moments with that person, it reminds you of what you have lost. Unless Charname has an exceptionnal Charisma (I might want to take some lessons from him :smiley: ) and it happens that Jaheira really falls in love.
    On the other hand, she is a demi-elf, meaning she has a long life. She must already have been through some similar trials and will have to overcome other obstacle in her life.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Strangely enough on my last playthrough the Jaheira romance made complete sense for once, from a rollplaying perspective as CHARNAME was romancing Dynahier in BG 1, his first true love and all that and then Jon goes kills both Dynahier and Khalid, leaving Jaheira and CHARNAME both completely broken.
    This while a really shitty situation gives Jaheira and CHARNAME a reason to engage each other, a reason to try and fix each other and the base for a relationship to grow out of their mutual pain and loss.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Actually, the Jahira romance is pretty involved to pull off. She isn't a total pushover like Aerie.

I don't know how worldly you are, but I can tell you that I've boffed a fair share of married women so there's absolutely no reason that there wasn't some attraction/chemistry brewing for the previous year or so of BG1 events traveling together in close company or in whatever time has passed between the two stories. Whatever she may or may not feel for Khalid there may well be something between her and Charname as well. It certainly wouldn't be the first or last love triangle in fantasy or IRL.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that you weren't boinking her in BG1 when Khalid wasn't looking (Gods know that panty-waist wasn't delivering in the bedroom), and in BG2 you've got her in a pretty vulnerable position.

Furthermore, some people simply don't stay single for long. Jahira doesn't really come off that way from what we see, but that's not out of the realm of possibility. Also people make very irrational and impulsive sex/love decisions when faced with constant threat of death at any minute. This is natural evolutionary strategy... at the animalistic level we KNOW that in times of war we may be dead tomorrow so it is imperative to pass along our DNA as quickly and as often as possible.

Lastly, Charisma notwithstanding, being the bastard child of a God makes Charname very powerful (as does the events of both games) and power is very attractive. Consider how many 70 year old billionaires get a 10 piece mid 20 year old wife. Age also becomes irrelevant.

Yes, certainly not really natural and you do make some valid points but far from implausible.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    To add to what has been said so far,

Relationships are dynamic. The romantic love you have for someone today can be the familial love tomorrow as your relationship with them changes. The love between friends and comrades can turn into something else, especially when powerful outside forces change the circumstances (I.E. violently killing Khalid, ripping Imoen away, etc. etc.)

People don't fall into neat little boxes. Grief doesn't follow neat little stages in order. Jaheria's romance may be... unusual but I don't think they did it wrong, it is just a bit off from what people are used to.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    And to add one more thing. Bounce back. Her husband died. She doesn't want to be alone, and doesn't want the grief. People do start relationships because of that. Luckily for Jaheira, it can turn into something real.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Perhaps Khalid was the only reason Jaheira was able to resist Charname's godlike hotness. With him out of the picture, she had no reason to hold back her lust.

Maybe that's why we can't raise Khalid from the dead.
    @Grum: Well, think about it. How many Charnames have you created that you WOULDN'T leave your dead husband for? Rigor mortis only lasts so long, and being an adventurer, Jaheira wouldn't have time to find a cool, dry place to preserve her husband in anyway, so the physical aspect of their relationship went away with Khalid's death. Why not just go for the nearest piece of warm flesh? Isn't that how people fall in love in the first place?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Well, if you are asking me personally...if my wife passed away, I'd probably be more like Cernd.

(1) No bouncing back with Jaheira, Aerie, Viconia, Neera...not even Mazzy!
    (2) I'd look to the well being of my children. If that means threatening to cut someone, then so be it.
    (3) Unlike Cernd, I'd leave Charname's a$$ behind to take care of my children, rather than letting someone else raise them in my absence.
    (4) I'd mourn.

That's me. And I think that I can speak for any sane spouse out there when I say that carnal lusts are but one facet of a loving relationship, and when a loved one dies, very very very few people would preserve a spouse's body for that purpose. Burial comes to mind. Or in Jaheira's case, running like heck to get out of a dungeon after saying a prayer for the lost.

And for people falling back in love again, I'd guess that there are multiple ways. But ones that are purely physical, as you seem to be hinting, probably aren't going to last. Because that sounds to me like it is a way to try and stop the pain, rather than really moving on.

----

I haven't done the Jaheira romance in many years, but from what I remember it seemed legit. She suffers a horrific loss that shakes her and causes intense pain. She is traveling with someone that recently suffered his own great loss (the loss of his father, Gorion). She was there for him during the mourning process, and he is then there for her while she mourns over Khalid. The respect turns into affection, and the two eventually become a couple.

It reads to me as if though it is a relationship built upon a foundation of mutual support, implicit trust (with each other's lives), and a shared goal (revenge upon Irenicus). Lust doesn't seem to be any kind of factor.

It's not like she requires 18 Cha...
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @semiticgod - no that is not how love works.

A physical/sexual relationship for comfort in Jaheira's situation would make sense. A love match does not.

Jaheira's sudden play for CHARNAME, in my opinion, is not only abrupt and nonsensical (and blatantly only done for fanservice because people liked Jaheira in BG1 and didn't like Khalid) but also disrespectful (in character) to both Khalid and Gorion.
    Her husband Khalid because she was married to, and in love with, him for decades by BG1. And a week after his brutal murder there she is cosying up with someone new; if he was buried his body wouldn't even be cold yet when she begins making a play for CHARNAME - my first playthru I got her first lovetalk within the DAY of finding Khalid's dead body. The day.
    It's also disrespectful to Gorion because Jaheira and Khalid had agreed to become stand in guardians for CHARNAME in the event of Gorions death; in essence she is CHARNAMEs godmother. You do not enter into a sexual relationship with your ward if you have any respect for the person who gave that ward into your charge.

Additionally the age difference (shes old enough to be his grandmother) combined with Jaheira's unofficial godmotherhood of CHARNAME makes the romance pseudo-incest which is just creepy.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @ScotGaymer , according to anyone who studied relationships and love, to love really love someone you have to understand and know that person well. Love is not passion, because it takes knowing the person on a daily basis. In fact ,you may live with a person for a long time and realise you've never loved her, because you don't understand/respect each other.

However, I must say that you were a bit judgemental when you wrote:

"disrespectful fo both Khalid and Gorion"
    According to Jaheira's dream, Khalid did approve the relationship. And so would Gorion, in my opinion, since Jaheira is a harper with the best of intentions for Charname.

"his body is not even cold and she starts making a play for charname. I got her first lovetalk within the day of finding Khalid's dead body"
    That wasn't a lovetalk , she was commenting about the loss of Khalid and Gorion, and having dreams about her late husband, and telling about her past. That's friendship, not romance.

"Additionally the age difference"
    She's half elf, but if she were human she would be a woman in her mid to late thirties . Most relationships occur with such a difference.

"you do not enter into a sexual relationship with your ward if you have any respect for the person who gave that ward into your charge"
    But she did not look at charname with sexual intentions. Actually, she becomes actually interested in a romantic relationship nearly at the end of the romance. As for being her godmother, well, if charname were young and innocent , maybe a teenager, then I would understand that she was taking advantage of him, but it seems that the protagonist is quite aware of the complications that dating Jaheira may get him into.

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I honestly don't see the problem. I mean, I understand what people *say* is the problem, but to me, I don't see how it's a problem. Yeah, Khalid died. That's awful for her, and I don't want to make light of that. But this is a medieval world where being attacked by bandits on the road is a normal occurrence, and Jaheira and everyone she's ever loved are warriors. Death is part of her existence. If it slowed her down, she wouldn't be around anymore. When you're in a world like that, and people die, you grieve and you move on. You have to. I think it's fair that the mourning period may be a little rushed when everyone involved could die at any moment. You have to live life sooner or later, and when you may not be around for later, it's all the more important to start sooner. Plus, you know, people are different, and it's a little ridiculous to suspect that everyone takes their spouse's death the same way.

As for the age difference... Jaheira is a half-elf. Her parents were probably a good century apart. A 20-year age difference is nothing to her, especially when the younger party has proven to be both capable and responsible.
    To be a bit more serious than my previous posts... There is no right or wrong way to recover from losing a loved one.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2015
    I think Jaheira is the least fitting and unnecessary romance in the vanilla game.

I would prefer if the original designers had Aerie and Viconia for male chars, and then had Anomen and Haer'Dalis for female chars.

I could also see Viconia and Haer'Dalis as bisexual characters. While Aerie and Anomen are the more typical straight and conservative types.

I think that would be a good balance to satisfy people of both genders and different sexualities.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2015
    @DJKajuru - No your quite right I am being judgmental lol. It just doesn't sit with me well that's all.

It's cool if people like it. I just don't unfortunately, for the reasons that I stated. It just feels wrong to me.

You mentioned the dream she has where Khalid gives his approval but honestly to me that read/felt like her own subconscious trying to excuse her actions that she knows to be ... wrong; and trying to make herself feel better about it.
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    edited March 2015
    :blush:
    Post edited by BanArd on
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Personally I am with @Archaos and @ScotGaymer on this one. If you interpret the events of BG2 on a literal level, the speed of the Jaheira romance really destroys my personal headcanon for her, which is very much a maternal guardian figure. There is almost no way to reasonably justify the speed with which she gets into a relationship with Charname so soon after Khalid's demise.

I really wish that the "Jaheira romance" was more of a "Jaheira friendship" or as @Archaos suggested, they just replaced her content with Haer'Dalis.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited March 2015
    There's also the issue that Jaheira is a Half-Elf.
    Half-Elves live for about 300+ years.

And just like Elves, they don't go into relationships that often or that quickly.
    The whole Jaheira romance feels like she's an insecure young girl and you're her rebound to get over Khalid.

And exactly because she is a Half-Elf, a Druid (wise) and more mature/mother-like, she should have taken her time to get over it and made peace with it, without having to romance her.

Also, Haer'Dalis SCREAMED for a romance. He's the suave and confident type (like Coran). He's also unique since he's a Tiefling from another Plane. Nevermind that he just fits in every kind of party.
  • TidusTidus Member Posts: 86
    'why romance Jaheira'
    because love is love, you know... it doesn't matter if you are not supposed to be together.
    but this is more akin to a real world than a fantasy one: why would a soul that had been truly bonded to another one turn on that relationship whilst they have a certainty of an eternity together? that baffles me...
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    I just wanted my char name to get laid... all that dungeon crawling, mage blasting and demons to play cards with... you need to take a break and get some loving from Jaheira... her sex is primal and animalistic.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    T2av said:

I just wanted my char name to get laid... all that dungeon crawling, mage blasting and demons to play cards with... you need to take a break and get some loving from Jaheira... her sex is primal and animalistic.

Especially when she turns into a bear. :trollface:

*runs*
    @Nonnahswriter: What's even better is romancing an Avenger.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    In BG2 charname is no longer a snot-nosed level 1 kid. You fought off tons of bounty hunters, slew hordes of undead, delved into dark ruins filled with flesh-eating slimes, and toppled a conspiracy that would have torn half the Sword Coast apart. Notice how in BG1 you have a lot of dialogue options where CHARNAME whines, is obviously frightened, has an anxiety attack or otherwise loses it, or has no damn clue what they're talking about. Those pretty much completely vanish in BG2 because you grew the hell up. Also, being level 7-8 in AD&D is a pretty big deal. You're an elite at that point.

The age gap is largely insignificant. Age is just a number, particularly in a world where elves, gnomes, and dwarves, who can be centuries old, mingle with humans and others races that live for decades at most. Everybody, especially a worldly adventurer like you or Jaheira, is somewhat socially attuned to this fact. Also, you and Jaheira are skilled adventurers. You're at a level of fitness most people can only dream about. She only barely looks older than you. Healthy, active people are prone to looking younger than their actual age would suggest.

Speaking of temporal issues, the games canonically take place over much longer periods of time than you may or may not finish them. Sure, you could do a really efficient BG1 run and only barely ever rest or travel, and finish the game in like three weeks of in-game time, but in reality the main quest would probably take several months at least. Same for BG2.

@Jarrakul Pretty much explained mourning Khalid already, so I won't get into that, other than to say that Jaheira's way too strong to be kept down by grief for long, especially with a close friend like CHARNAME helping her along.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    Just don't ever take off the ring of charisma if you dumped stat charisma!