Skip to content

What do you think of my weapon choices

claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
Haer' Dalis:

melee: Crom Faeyr and Kundane (25 strength to help hit with bard Thac0)
early levels - use Kundane and Shortsword +3 from thieves guid quests.
missile: darts (if ever use them)
strength - Crom Faeyr

Jaheira:
melee: Staff of the Ram
early levels - Staff of Rhyn +4
missile: sling of seeking +2 (for strength damage of girdle hill giant)
stength: girdle of hill giants

Kheldonr:

melee: Carsomyr
early levels-daystar (use a stolen protection undead scroll to kill lich and get early), and Lilacor
melee blunt: storm star (disruption mace for undead)
missile: firetooth
strength: fire giant girdle and until then strength spell buff

Mazzy:
missile: Gesen or Tuigan (for shooting ammo)
early levels-Tansheron
melee shortsword (grand mastery and 1 pip single handed) shortsword of Mask
*note: I took singe handed so I don't have to shuffle her inventory in battle to shield or dual wield
melee two hand: (for reach) Ixil's Spike (2 stars)
melee blunt: flail of ages
strength boost: her special spell when not archer

Jan:
missile: Crossbow of speed (to use ammo), Tansheron (use ammo or no ammo needed) note thus can use nice bolts and arrows but also option of no ammo needed
melee: Equalizer for melf's meteors (yes boosts).. probably all that's needed but Angurvadal if I want to try and backstab (raises strength)

Protagonist is a dual class cleric of lathander 12 --> mage X
missile: sling of Arvoreen or Erinne
melee: Staff of Magi
stength: Draw Upon Holy Might (innate 16 strength) or Righteous Magic or Holy Power

Post edited by claudius on

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Jan should be using his flashers. Those things stun for 2 rounds on a failed save at -1, and they have an area effect, which is party friendly. The Firetooth crossbow is a good alternative launcher.

Once your Charname gets 9th level spells, try combining Righteous Magic with the Iron Golem form from Shapechange. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Jaheira can do more damage using Belm and Gnasher.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    If you are playing EE then all slings give strength damage so use the best one. Even if you are playing vanilla the Sling of Everard also gives strength damage and is better so use it instead.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2015
    I thought the flasher stun was 1 round for some reason and I didn't know it was area of effect. Uh oh I think I stashed it somewhere and don't know where! Late game opponents probably generally make the saving throw (or no)? Can jan use heavy crossbows like the fire tooth? I didn't think that he could.

I'll try the spell combo you suggested for iron golem. One of the reasons I wanted to play a Cleric/Mage was to do neat combos and level up faster and have better stats than Aerie.

For Belm and Gnasher aren't there some times when you need +5/6 weapon versus +3? I can have enough weapon proficiencies to allow both probably because she already has mastery of clubs to start with. With Staff of Ram she gets 5/2 attacks per round. With dual wield and Belm extra she gets 7/2 attacks (3.5) with her main hand and 1 with bell. So that is better, right? I think maybe take both and use staff of Ram for needing reach or whirl winding with (which I believe apr is set to a number regardless of normal apr stats)

Is my analysis for Jaheira DW versus Staves Ok? I already have staff with 2 stars I think. I think she will get enough stars to play around. Probably stashed Gnasher away somewhere too and need to find it! Should I whirlwind with staff of Ram?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Whirlwind with Ram, at least upgraded.

If you've invested in staff proficiency, Ram is still quite excellent. Gnasher has better damage only when combined with Belm. They're actually quite close. And Ram does have the benefit of the unconsciousness effect. There aren't too many enemies immune to Gnasher.

Jan can indeed use Firetooth. And many TOB enemies do fail their saves, even without Greater Malison.
    The flasher launcher is pretty useless. Jan can shoot his flasher bruiser mates from any crossbow and they will function the same.
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    Does Gnasher splinters hit through stoneskin?
    edited March 2015
    The splinters only take effect once stoneskins are removed. As far as I can tell anyway...