Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited September 2017
    Alesia_BH said:

Great work, Serg! Glad to see another Grim Face run!

Thanks! :) It's going smooth so far (hope, this will last...) and I love my new setup!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

Imoen disarmed traps but was somehow spotted even being hidden so had to run to the side room and hide there again to scout further from the back.

The exact same thing happened to me on a previous run with Imoen. Imoen was dualled to mage and I wanted to try my luck with Ghoul's Touch against Davaeorn, but he spotted her even though she was invisible. I play on the EE, so it's not related to difference between BG version. I do play with IR and SR though, just like you. You can usually approach him while invisible with other characters, even with IR/SR. Maybe something related to Imoen specifically ?
    JuliusBorisov
    Arctodus said:

Imoen disarmed traps but was somehow spotted even being hidden so had to run to the side room and hide there again to scout further from the back.

The exact same thing happened to me on a previous run with Imoen. Imoen was dualled to mage and I wanted to try my luck with Ghoul's Touch against Davaeorn, but he spotted her even though she was invisible. I play on the EE, so it's not related to difference between BG version. I do play with IR and SR though, just like you. You can usually approach him while invisible with other characters, even with IR/SR. Maybe something related to Imoen specifically ?
    I don't know for certain but he had acted the same way in my last run, which was in BG Tutu, with SR but sans IR. 'My' Imoen is (was) a pure thief in both cases as I want to dual her at Thief (10) to have 100 in Find/Remove Traps, Open Locks and Detect Illusions. I never tried to approach him with another character as I need to disarm those traps first and usually Imoen is my only thief. As soon as she disarm the last trap (she always do it invisible of course) and see him his dialog kicks in. I presume, his dialog triggers via script and the only mods I can think of, which change creatures' scripts, are SR and SCS. In both this runs I use new SCS v.30 (while using v.21 before that) and I am inclined to think that SCS is the one 'guilty' here.
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Mantis37 said:

With mention of IR, SR, and SCS I am curious to know if anyone has completed the trilogy with that sort of low-exploit set-up? Doing an RP run with those and a few other mods could be rather challenging.

Not yet.

Why not be the first?
    ArctodusJuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaak
    Alesia_BH said:

The v30 battle is so much easier than the older one with the MI + Haste spamming, Horror casting, confusion on hit weapon wielding super-fly, super-dopes. This is not a complaint.

That's good to know, thanks for mentioning it! I'm still to have my first dating with v30 Greater Dopes and this information is just priceless!
    Alesia_BHJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017
    Arctodus said:

@Alesia_BH I would have like to see Aestica in SoD. Some parts would have been tricky for a solo pure class fighter. Have you ever played it ?

Noppers. It came out while I was on break, thru-hiking and traveling. I'd like to try it, but I don't have time now since I'll be going abroad again in about a month.

(Someday I'll play it. And hopefully by then they'll be a way of running SoD with the classic avatars/interface...)

Best,

A.
    Serg_BlackStriderArctodusJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Alesia_BH said:

Someday I'll play it. And hopefully by then they'll be a way of running SoD with the classic avatars/interface...)

I would love to have an opportunity to play EE with vanilla BG1 avatars/interface too but I do not have too much count on it. There are some work-in-progress mods here, which implements them, but whether they will be released soon (if at all) I don't know... Dreams, dreams...
    AerakarAlesia_BHJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Alesia_BH said:

The catacombs. Pro Poison for the spiders; Potion of Freedom for their Web trap. Pro Fire and Potion of Fire Resistance for the flamey traps; Potion of Insulation and Boots of Grounding for the sparky ones. Shield Amulet for the Magic Missile traps.

I've spoken before of precision and discipline in no-reload runs, and this is a perfect example. Having such a complete knowledge of the game, both the dangers you face and the resources available to you, that you know exactly how to negate threats. My playstyle is very sloppy by comparison (though I kind of like it that way).
    ArctodusAlesia_BHJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Condolences, Enuhal. Imprisonment is a nasty way to go :(

Best,

A.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Enuhal said:

After finishing my goal of no-reloading SoD, I wasn't too motivated to continue this run into SoA and ToB. With the additional starting experience, my party felt overpowered, and I breezed through all the available chapter 2 and 3 quests.

That, to me, has alway been the obvious problem with inserting a new adventure in between BG1 and BG2: It's bound to throw off level balancing, absent XP progression restrictions that few players would accept.

How much XP do SoD protagonists typically have when they enter SoA?

Best,

A.