Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    Complacency is a killer? Unmodded installations can feel very refreshing after so many mods!
    OrlonKronsteen
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    edited March 2019
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Well done Corey. Best of luck in BG2 (you could of course continue to use the berserking sword there as well if you wanted to continue the fun - I'm sure Orcslicer at the Seven Vales would give it to you if you asked nicely >:)).

Yes I know but it's not at all practical in BG 2. Magic is more dangerous and requires different approaches depending on the situation. The other thing is vampire ambushes, if the cursed sword took over, could conceivablably wipe out a lot of civilians, then enforcers would arrive who could easily kill Corerage IV. I only used cursed sword in BG 1 because I knew he could succeed. He has zero hope of success with it in BG 2. The other thing the cursed sword is very powerful in BG 1, not so much in BG 2 plenty of +3 weapons in BG 2 and more powerful ones even.

EDIT: The other point is there are plenty of enemies that require a specific kind of weapon to kill (Sand golem/clay golems blunt weapons, trolls fire/acid). Having a weapon equipped that doesn't let you select other weapons would only get you killed if you ran into such enemies. And there are plenty of such enemies.

EDIT2: Also, in my opinion, immunities are far more important than damage in BG 2. For example, I have Minsc using Lilacor for a long time, because a charmed or confused Minsc is bad for the party (which has happened a number of times). It's more important in the long run to make him immune to such effects, even bypassing using a +4 sword so he can retain his immunities. Like-wise, the Arbane is only +2, but you might want it instead say the cut throat sword (which is +4) if you need the hold immunity, etc.
    Post edited by Corey_Russell on
    Grond0OrlonKronsteenBlind_Visionary
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2019
    Well done Corey. Best of luck in BG2 (you could of course continue to use the berserking sword there as well if you wanted to continue the fun - I'm sure Orcslicer at the Seven Vales would give it to you if you asked nicely >:)).

Yes I know but it's not at all practical in BG 2. Magic is more dangerous and requires different approaches depending on the situation. The other thing is vampire ambushes, if the cursed sword took over, could conceivablably wipe out a lot of civilians, then enforcers would arrive who could easily kill Corerage IV. I only used cursed sword in BG 1 because I knew he could succeed. He has zero hope of success with it in BG 2. The other thing the cursed sword is very powerful in BG 1, not so much in BG 2 plenty of +3 weapons in BG 2 and more powerful ones even.

EDIT: The other point is there are plenty of enemies that require a specific kind of weapon to kill (Sand golem/clay golems blunt weapons, trolls fire/acid). Having a weapon equipped that doesn't let you select other weapons would only get you killed if you ran into such enemies. And there are plenty of such enemies.

EDIT2: Also, in my opinion, immunities are far more important than damage in BG 2. For example, I have Minsc using Lilacor for a long time, because a charmed or confused Minsc is bad for the party (which has happened a number of times). It's more important in the long run to make him immune to such effects, even bypassing using a +4 sword so he can retain his immunities. Like-wise, the Arbane is only +2, but you might want it instead say the cut throat sword (which is +4) if you need the hold immunity, etc.

That's all true - but that's why it would be a challenge :p.
    Corey_RussellBlind_VisionaryCrevsDaak

That's all true - but that's why it would be a challenge :p.

I don't need it more challenging. I have yet to get ONE Trilogy run with EE - how about I get some successes 1st before I start making it harder?
    Grond0semiticgoddessOrlonKronsteenCrevsDaak
    @semiticgod said...
    All of these runs are essentially 40-hour chess matches where a single mistake can end the run.

Well, I think Corerage IV was only about 5-6 hours (being solo really speeds it up) through BG 1 but I get your point. Once, I did all of SoA in two days, talk about doing nothing bug BG...

Incidentally, Corerage IV got a free level when starting in Irenicus' dungeon - this put his weapons skills as following: Two Handed Sword: ***** and Two handed weapon skill **. That combined with his 19 STR, and he is mowing down the enemies pretty quickly, not that there are many strong enemies in the dungeon...Imoen and Corerage IV are just about to meet and send away Yoshimo...
    StummvonBordwehrGrond0OrlonKronsteenCrevsDaak
    @OrlonKronsteen said...
    ...I can kite (a debatably cheesy strategy) to[/spoiler] stay alive ...

I would hardly call it cheesy. For many solo characters, it literally is the only thing they can do for a great many powerful melee enemies. Sarevok is a good example. Only the most powerful, well equipped, properly buffed warriors can go toe-to-toe with Sarevok and live to tell the tale, like Corerage IV. Any other character would have to kite him - to go toe-to-toe with him is suicide. And in your case, any low level character or characters would want to stay at range with any powerful melees, as to risk melee invites chunking.
    Blind_VisionarysemiticgoddessOrlonKronsteenCrevsDaak
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited March 2019
    It's amazing how many new things can happen in a no-reload game. Just when you think you've seen it all...
    semiticgoddessOrlonKronsteenMantis37CrevsDaak
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I'm definitely feeling inspired. Now I just have to keep from getting drunk on that feeling and carelessly stepping on a trap. :)
    Corey_RussellGrond0Mantis37CrevsDaak
    @OrlonKronsteen said...
    I was hoping to find Larry, Darryl and Darryl on the western maps

Those guys are just south of Nashkel. They are to the right of Sendai. Note Sendai's group is extremely deadly to a low level group (yes I have lost some runs here). You don't actually have to fight her however, you can use a non-confrontational dialogue option. She has AC 5 leather however, which is 2nd best leather you can get in Chapter 3, and since you say you have a party with thieves...
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @Corey_Russell - wow, I'd forgotten they were on that map. Yes, I save that area for later, once I have web and mirror image for my mage (and a wand of fire, to boot). Usually I just get the leather armour +2 and the gauntlets of archery and move on to the next map on my way to the Knoll Stronghold. Been so long since I went to the southern area of that map. Mind you, how much of a priority should meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl be in a no-reload run? :)
    @OrlonKronsteen Mind you, how much of a priority should meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl be in a no-reload run? :)

You are playing a game, aren't you? Games are about fun. So if meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl is fun by all means meet them!
    semiticgoddessOrlonKronsteenCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Mind you, how much of a priority should meeting Larry, Darryl and Darryl be in a no-reload run? :)
    Altogether, they are worth 77 XP.
    CrevsDaak