Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited October 2016
    @Aasim, can you post your weidu log for BG2EE? Or anyone else on the forums here that likes SCS?

I'm setting up my own install now and am curious what options folks run with. It's been a long time since I've modded up anything but BG1. Thanks!
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited October 2016
    Need some advice:

I'm nearing the end of a BGEE/ToSC run and made it to the bottom of Durlag's Tower -- it's been a long time. If memory serves, the next fight (Demon Knight) and the follow up (Aec Laetec) are nasty. Are there reliable advice to keep everyone alive consistently? (e.g. Neera has 26 HP -- which is chunky territory, I think, if hit full face.)

Party: F/M charname, Imoen (T/M), Neera, Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia

I can buff F/M and Minsc and have at it, but a single Remove Magic may undo the plans.

Similarly, Aec Laetec can be countered by Gaze Reflection IIRC (does Prot f Petrification work?) -- but what if she uses a Remove Magic?

So, basically, for these nastiest fights of BGEE, what is recommended as a foolproof plan?

(I intend to bring this party to SoD, so I wanna avoid loosing anyone permanently.)

@Ygramul.... can you run away? That seems like the safest idea! ;)

Actually, I've never been brave enough to go below the cellar in Durlag's tower... I'm looking forward to your report on what happens! Good luck!

@Ygramul.... can you run away? That seems like the safest idea! ;)

Actually, I've never been brave enough to go below the cellar in Durlag's tower... I'm looking forward to your report on what happens! Good luck!

*shuffles feet*

Errr.... is the common wisdom in a no-reload run to avoid the Demon Knight altogether?

(The point of this run is to start off on SoD. If I'm about to ruin 80 hours of prep, perhaps I should indeed just talk Islaenne for a rain check... "Err... good luck with your demon infestation then.")
    edited October 2016
    I'll leave it to more veteran players than I to say what the common wisdom is... I just know that the entire concept of Durlag's tower is scary in a no-reload! I use item randomizer, and I'm always tempted to go look for the greenstone amulet in there on every run, but I usually chicken out when it comes time to actually go underground. I'm sure others are less timid...
    Thanks, @Blind_Visionary

If it is any help, this is the not-SCS-enhanced version of the Tower. (I have SCS enabled on other aspects, such as AI, but not the "Improved Durlag".)
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,866

I'll leave it to more veteran players than I to say what the common wisdom is... I just know that the entire concept of Durlag's tower is scary in a no-reload! I use item randomizer, and I'm always tempted to go look for the greenstone amulet in there on every run, but I usually chicken out when it comes time to actually go underground. I'm sure others are less timid...

I tend to do half of it, doing everything except giving love the wine. I don't try and kill everything usually. A thief who has the appropriate potions: oil of speed, potion of perception, potion of master thievery and strength (if required to carry the loot) can do most of it solo whilst other party members stay in safety near the merchant. To go to the area where the dwarven warders are, the other party members need to be made invisible (or sancuary) by some means to avoid battles.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

I tend to do half of it, doing everything except giving love the wine. .

This. Give wine unprepared, even prepared,and you'll likely die. I don't know about "Non-Improved Durlag's
    Tower" but with SCS Pride/Love battle is arguably harder than Sarevok finale.

@Blind_Visionary
    My Weidu is in this post.
    Aasim said:

I tend to do half of it, doing everything except giving love the wine. .

This. Give wine unprepared, even prepared,and you'll likely die. I don't know about "Non-Improved Durlag's
    Tower" but with SCS Pride/Love battle is arguably harder than Sarevok finale.

@Blind_Visionary
    My Weidu is in this post.
    The non-improved battle with Love was a cake walk. (I remember years ago saying "never again" to Improved Durlag" in SCS -- it seems I was not the only frustrated.)

... I am still waiting on the nail-biting decision to Demon Knight or not to Demon Knight.

--

Meanwhile, I read the wiki entry for his spell list --- and wow!

Does the Ring of Free Action defend from Power Word: Stun? (I think in EE it defends from ordinary Stun.)

Also, most party is vulnerable to Power Word: Kill (though not charname -- unless receives damage first).

That seems one though opponent at that point. Like having Lavok in Chateau Irenicus...
    Yes, RoFA should stop all stuns afaik. As for DK, watch out for his dispel/Fireball combo. That can bring your HP very low. Alternative is to use the mirror and make him fight his own reflection.
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited October 2016
    @Ygramul: here is an example of my approach to SCS Improved Durlag. The main theme is - spread out your forces, use some summons and ranged attacks. Not a full-proof but it works for me.

And no, I never used a Mirror.
    Yea, with SCS you don't use Mirror, ever.

@Ygramul: here is an example of my approach to SCS Improved Durlag. The main theme is - spread out your forces, use some summons and ranged attacks. Not a full-proof but it works for me.

And no, I never used a Mirror.

Ouch. Those are though battles.

.... I decided to chicken out for the moment:

I took Islanne's offer and returned to surface. I may or may not do the Werewolves. Then it's facing Sarevok -- and I hope Dragonspear, finally.
    I'll definitely be trying that. Tnx @Grond0 .
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,389
    Aasim said:

I'll definitely be trying that. Tnx @Grond0 .

Best of luck. You'll obviously make it easier for yourself if you use an oil of speed, though that's not really necessary. It's also helpful to use a character with decent HPs and push fire and lightning resistance up to 127 - that way the traps will heal the odd backstab if you misjudge where opponents are (as well as a bit of physical trap damage).
    @Grond0

Sorry about your monks. I'm curious; why did you anger the druids? Is there anything of value there or are you just being completionist? I simply walk away from that area, ever since (I think this was stratagemsv25) I had that archdruid shapechange into a greater basilisk (I'm serious here).
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,389
    Aasim said:

@Grond0

Sorry about your monks. I'm curious; why did you anger the druids? Is there anything of value there or are you just being completionist?

Just completionist - there's nothing of value at all. I don't normally bother with the druids in my runs, although with 6 in the party there is more of a point to it with the monks. Essentially though it's just that my rules for that particular challenge are they have to explore all maps and complete every possible encounter. I have sometimes in the past avoided that Archdruid on the way out and then only come back to him after visiting Baldur's Gate (when all the monks can buy Wands of the Heavens). That makes the encounter far less risky, but I suppose I was in the mood for a bit of risk this time after spending a lot of time recently playing low-risk strategies with a wild monk :o .
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2016
    Amarande... I hate that guy.

Punched in the face, burned, frozen, zapped, magic missiled... that #%&$er still casts.

Always with Chaos. Always with chaos. He has ended 3 of my last 5 runs.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 1,009
    You should be advised @sluckers that divine casters in BG 1 (such as clerics/druids) ALWAYS have a chance to get their spells off, regardless of how many times they have been hit. Your best way to deal with them is always defense (protection from magic scroll, etc.). You can never count on interrupting them (though of course you might).

You should be advised @sluckers that divine casters in BG 1 (such as clerics/druids) ALWAYS have a chance to get their spells off, regardless of how many times they have been hit. Your best way to deal with them is always defense (protection from magic scroll, etc.). You can never count on interrupting them (though of course you might).

Never heard this before. Is this a new thing? Or SCS?

What is the chance of this sure-casting?