Skip to content

Oddities with Periapt of Proof Against Poison (again).

kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
edited March 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Periapt of Proof Against Poison protect its wearer from poisonous attacks such spider bites etc, but don’t protect against 'poisonous' spells such Cloudkill (from wand too) and Poison. In addition spell 'Poison' acting odd - character (equipped with Periapt of Proof Against Poison) only receives damage in the first round of the spell duration, but damage is not applied all subsequent rounds.
Post edited by kotophey on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Yeah, this amulet just protects from the condition of being poisoned and not the poison damage type. I am quite sure this is intended and not an issue.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    What would be the rationale for such a behaviour ?
    edited March 2015
    @Musigny Balance for one... Immunity to a whole damage type would have rather far reaching effects. Another reason is that the scroll of Protection from Poison, the Thieve's Hood, Albruin +1, and the Ring of Anti-Venom function the exact same way. The only item I know of that makes you immune to both poison and poison damage is the Ring of Gaxx and that is supposed to be a far more powerful artifact (with the possible exception of the Thieve's Hood) than any of the others I listed. Druids and monks eventually become immune to poison damage type as well. I think everything is perfectly normal the way it is.

What do you think @Gate70?

Edit: I appear to be going blind... Ring of Anti-Venom and Thieve's Hood also Grant poison damage resistance.
    Post edited by Tresset on
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2015
    Tresset said:

Yeah, this amulet just protects from the condition of being poisoned and not the poison damage type. I am quite sure this is intended and not an issue.

In this case you (Beamdog) must change description text on this amulet. ‘Immunity to poison’ must be changed to the ‘immunity to poisoning’. Just to avoid further confusion.
    Post edited by kotophey on
    edited March 2015
    What do you mean by "same way" ?
    The ring of anti-venom and the thieves hood have an immunity to effect and a 100% poison resistance bonus (like the ring of gaxx).
    @Musigny You are right... I must be going blind...
    I have no strong opinion about the matter. No idea whether Beamdog should change some item features but it looks like we are not in the best situation. Perhaps the amulet description gives a false sense of security/immunity.
  • kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2015
    Musigny said:

I have no strong opinion about the matter...

From where your doubts? In the description of the item(s) clearly states - 'immunity to poison'. So why one item with same property grants IMMUNITY to poison (state and damage), while other not (only to state, POISONING)? As for me it is a bug, bug from ancient times of original game.
    The only thing I see them changing here is the descriptions of the items. @Jalily may want to see this...
    @Kotophey My "doubts" (or lack of conviction) are about the strategy to adopt for such items.
    Poison damages remain active during a few rounds. This is no simple one time event unlike the other (most ?) types of damage. My slight preference would be to grant opcode 173 resistance bonus in many cases but I think the "problem" is more general and it goes beyond the simple protection against poison (mirrored image, stonekins).
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The cavalier "immune to poison" functions the same way IIRC, i.e. immune to the status but not to direct poison damage.
    Well, as regards the cavalier I think it is similar to the ring of gaxx : opcode 173 100% and immunity to effect poison. (from spcl221).
    edited March 2015
    :/ The only thing I will concede to is that the descriptions could possibly be a bit more clear. The fact remains that poison is both a damage type and a state and, while the two often coincide, they are still two different things. Just because they use the same word does not mean that anything which protects against one of them should also protect against the other. It is just like how magic resistance is not the same as magic damage resistance. You wouldn't expect magic resistance to automatically give you magic damage resistance and thus immunity to the poison effect does not mean automatic immunity to poison damage.

Whatever... If the devs want to change the function of these items then they will. If they don't want to change it (which I suspect is most likely) then they won't. The convention they use with this sort of thing is usually to upgrade descriptions that are bad or ambiguous and not to rewrite the function of all the items to match bad or ambiguous descriptions. This is super easy to mod so if you want immunity to poison to mean both damage and state then you can do that and no one will complain. I still strongly suspect that this is not an issue.
    Post edited by Tresset on