Skip to content

Ranger -> Cleric Questions

I have decided to make a ranger dualled to cleric as my next play through and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. what is the best level to dual at (i will be playing a mostly 6 person party), do i need a certain level to get all druid spells?

2. if i take the evil option for +2 strength in hell i become a fallen ranger does this mean i lose out on druid spells or my weapon profs or thaco?

3. what is the best racial enemy to choose?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    1: Level 9 is pretty standard, for the extra proficiency point. No special level required to get druid spells.

2: Yup, fallen ranger. Lose spells, I believe, and any kit bonuses, but not weapon proficiencies, I don't think.

3: Fairies.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    1. I'm not sure what the actual answer is, but the way Druid spells are handled is different in EE. I think the version @semiticgod is playing gives Ranger/Clerics access to all levels of Druid spells, and that's not the case in EE.

3. Since you'll be able to handle undead pretty well as a Cleric, you might choose a non-undead racial enemy. I like demonic/fell.

Are you going to use a Ranger kit?
  • mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 68
    yeah i wondered if it was like IWDEE where you need a certain ranger level for druid spells and no i'm not using a kit
    In EE, I believe Ranger/Clerics only get the first 3 levels of druid spells, as single-classed Rangers eventually do. So no Call Woodland Beings, Ironskins, Insect Plague, or Conjure Fire Elemental.
    I think the question is whether a Ranger needs to have access to third-level Druid spells (i.e., be level 12) before dual-classing to access them later, right? I don't know the answer for BG2EE.
    yes if i dual at level 9 do i still get level 7 druid spells?
    No, at most you'll get level 3 Druid spells.
    if i dual at level 12 do i get level 5 or level 7 druid spells?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    If you want access to druid spells then go into the baldur.ini file in my documents/baldur's gate 2 enhanced edition.

Find the line

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

and change the 1 to a 0 (and save the file).
    ok guess i will have to mod the ini file. thanks
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    9 is standard, but if you want a better lategame: dual at level 13 (extra 1/2 APR)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    There is actually not much of a point in dualing a Ranger->Cleric in BG2. Just multiclass instead. A big reason you dual over multi for fighters is that multis do not get Grandmastery - but Rangers don't get that either way.

I suppose you could make an argument for a bit better Cleric spell progression and higher Turn Undead, but it comes at the cost of reduced combat prowess, and the advantage diminishes the further you go in the game.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

A big reason you dual over multi for fighters is that multis do not get Grandmastery - but Rangers don't get that either way.

Unless you start with an Archer kit. That would make for a very potent character really. But yes, a straight Ranger isn't really worth it. You're better off with a multi in that case, especially now with the restrictions on the Druid spells.

edited April 2015
    Belanos said:

Unless you start with an Archer kit. That would make for a very potent character really. But yes, a straight Ranger isn't really worth it. You're better off with a multi in that case, especially now with the restrictions on the Druid spells.

Pretty sure that an Archer->Cleric would be sort of a bad idea considering they can't use bows or xbows, and can't GM in slings. If you can even dual an Archer in the first place, haven't actually tried.
    You can dual class from an archer into a cleric.
    But you still can't use bows/xbows, right?
    Correct.
    Mods have ruined my ability to make accurate assertions, now I have to double-check every little thing ¬_¬
    edited April 2015
    I know ToB in vanilla prevented Archers from dualing to clerics, unlike SoA, I assume to prevent people from investing in bows and then discovering they can't use them as clerics. Don't know about EE, but it would be strange if they permitted it in SoA, removed it ToB, and then decided they were wrong and changed it again in EE.

Conceptually, it makes perfect sense. An Archer is just a ranger who focuses on ranged weapons, and avoids clunky armor to make sure their armor doesn't get in the way of their archery. Using slings would be a perfectly valid choice; not every ranged attacker has to use bows or crossbows.

Slings do suffer from pretty poor APR compared to the other ranged weapons, but at epic levels at least, an Archer/Cleric could start using Energy Blades as its ranged weapon, and they benefit from Archer bonuses.

EDIT: ToB in vanilla also prevented Stalkers from dual-classing, I assume because of the same cleric weapon restrictions. But you can still backstab with clubs and staffs.
    the reason i went for a dual was because i mainly wanted a caster that had druid and cleric spells. a multi class has to slow spell progression. you need nearly 8 mil xp to get holy symbol with a multi and since im running a 6 person that wont happen.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Pretty sure that an Archer->Cleric would be sort of a bad idea considering they can't use bows or xbows, and can't GM in slings.

Right, I forgot about that. My bad.

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Now that the Druid spell levels have been capped to match a pureclass Ranger, the Ranger->Cleric dual is nerfed into pointlessness, since the first 3 levels of Druid spells offer very little extra value to a Cleric. The dual used to be worthwhile, because the later levels of Druid spells offered much more which a Cleric couldn't otherwise get (e.g. Iron Skins and Insect Plague at level 5, both excellent spells), but that no longer works.

Now, the only advantage over a Fighter->Cleric is that the R->C can do stealth, but the disadvantages (e.g. limiting to two proficiency points per weapon) greatly outweigh that. Perhaps there's slightly more point in a Stalker->Cleric, since that one can backstab while in stealth ... but even then, I can't see how it's worth the disadvantages compared to a F->C.
    mrb101 said:

the reason i went for a dual was because i mainly wanted a caster that had druid and cleric spells.

Well, that's no longer possible for any character in the standard game. As already noted, you'd have to edit the .ini file to restore the original behaviour ... each to his own, but to me that's cheating.
    mrb101 said:

... a multi class has to slow spell progression. you need nearly 8 mil xp to get holy symbol with a multi and since im running a 6 person that wont happen.

If you do all of the quests, including all of the NPC personal quests, then actually your protagonist eventually ought just about to make it to 8M XP, even with a full party at all times. However, not until almost the very end ... for example, in my last completed run, I got there with the very last points at the end of Chapter 9 (i.e. fighting the Ravager), just as I was about to go into the big Final Battle.

If I had been a part-Cleric (I wasn't), then getting my Holy Symbol just as I'm preparing for the Final Battle would have been very nice timing!
    Rangers get two free points in Two-Weapon Fighting. A Ranger/Cleric gets two more proficiency points than a Fighter/Cleric, if he or she is planning on dual-wielding. So it's not just an issue of a Ranger/Cleric's druid spells.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If we could mod the kit to make grandmastery be possible with any weapon that can go range, an war hammer grand master ranger cleric would be awesome.
    edited April 2015
    If we let Ranger/Clerics get grandmastery, then they'd be superior to Fighter/Clerics in basically every way. The only disadvantage is that Rangers have slightly slower level progression than Fighters.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

If we let Ranger/Clerics get grandmastery, then they'd be superior to Fighter/Clerics in basically every way. The only disadvantage is that Rangers have slightly slower level progression than Fighters.

archers already go grandmastery with long/short/crossbow, to extend that to any weapon that can go range is plausible.
    I sort of agree that not giving Archers the option to GM in Slings is a bit weird. Probably RP reasons, and not balance concerns?

I haven't exhaustively tested slings but I remember them being pretty good already with the STR modifier. Maybe GM would make them too good? But would it, really? Hm...

Shouldn't be too hard to test, maybe I'll do a Slinger run sometime in the future (adding GM via EEKeeper). Yeah, I'll put it on the list!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Rangers get two free points in Two-Weapon Fighting. A Ranger/Cleric gets two more proficiency points than a Fighter/Cleric, if he or she is planning on dual-wielding. So it's not just an issue of a Ranger/Cleric's druid spells.

Well, okay, they do get the two free points ... but no, I don't think that really makes much difference to the argument.

If you're dualling out of Ranger, then you're probably not building a character designed for front-row melee (especially now that you can't make up for weaker melee abilities by casting Iron Skins from the Druid spells). It'll be a character mostly for standing well back and either casting spells or using his sling, fighting in melee only when occasionally necessary ... and a Fighter->Cleric could do that significantly better by being more proficient with his sling.

If you want to retain serious melee competence into the later stages, then you ought to be a multi-class Ranger/Cleric, not a dual-class Ranger->Cleric. For the multi-class, yes, dual-wielding is a sensible route to take ... but the dual-class ought to carry a shield, or at least ought to go two-handed and try to use the extra reach to fight in melee from behind a proper melee warrior who can absorb most of the enemy's hits. Sacrificing AC in order to dual-wield is a sensible plan only for characters who will be sufficiently good at melee that the enemy will fall before he can hurt you too badly, and a character dualled out of Ranger (unless we're talking about a ridiculously late dual) won't have the THAC0 to be very good at this. Even if you insist upon building a dual-wielding Warrior->Cleric, a Fighter->Cleric will again be significantly better at it than a Ranger->Cleric, because he can master his weapons.

So even with two free points in dual-wielding, I don't see a case for ever again building a Ranger->Cleric, because a Fighter->Cleric will always be better (except for stealth, which isn't important enough to make the difference). Even the case for a multi-class Ranger/Cleric (which used to be a very good class because of the extra Druid spells) is now much weaker, since a multi-class Fighter/Cleric levels faster.

If you're dualling out of Ranger, then you're probably not building a character designed for front-row melee (especially now that you can't make up for weaker melee abilities by casting Iron Skins from the Druid spells). It'll be a character mostly for standing well back and either casting spells or using his sling, fighting in melee only when occasionally necessary ... and a Fighter->Cleric could do that significantly better by being more proficient with his sling.

yep i wanted a spell slinger with druid spells so i modded the ini file.