Skip to content

HEY BEAMDOG, ANY PLANS FOR THE BARD CLASS?

Comments

• GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    hansolo said:

Because, for example, like I said, Bard spells are more powerful in BG1?
    You even quoted it, lol.

Yeah I know, yet he can't cast a lot because the number of sloth spells are extremely limited.

Your better off with an extra mage if you intend to use the bard as a spellcaster.

• hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited August 2012
    Or you're better of with another Bard, because now you have twice the amount of more powerful spells, which means more power per combat round :P.

I wouldn't say the Bard is the overall better Spellcaster. The mage still is. I just want to clarify, that the Bard actually is quite good, and doesn't need any major improvements.
    So overall, in BG 1 (not in BG2) the bard can simply be considered has a different spellcaster, on the same level as sorcerer and mage, with archery?

Then I guess the fix should then go in baldurs gate 2.
    I do believe his songs need a little tweak, or else it's a useless feature, and that's awkward.
    Honestly, making it grew SIGNIFICANTLY stronger over the levels, and give the ability to use it while in melee, would be a good idea.

OR make more amor ,where you can still cast, available for them.
    edited August 2012
    In BG2 all spellcaster will eventually be more powerful than the melee classes.
    So if you fant to 'fix' somone it should be the pure Fighter classes and kits for example.
    Because in the end, they don't stand a chance versus a buffed up Bard who knows how to use his spell arsenal. So, you see, this way the Bard is even a bit overpowered.
    But the ADnD classes aren't balanced in the high levels, therefore in BG2, they aren't as well.
    In the end it's all about flavour and playstyle, and it is still enjoyable this way, imho :).

edit:
    though I can understand, that you don't like how Bardsong functions in the Infinity games.
    Having a character who can't do anything else while singing, isn't quite fun.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    @GueulEclator
    Well, I think that if the songs were significantly stronger (like in Heart of Winter -- those were pretty good, as I recall), then it makes more sense to have to choose between singing and engaging in combat, as the coices would be more evenly matched...
    hansolo said:

In BG2 all spellcaster will eventually be more powerful than the melee classes.
    So if you fant to 'fix' somone it should be the pure Fighter classes and kits for example.
    Because in the end, they don't stand a chance versus a buffed up Bard who knows how to use his spell arsenal. So, you see, this way the Bard is even a bit overpowered.
    But the ADnD classes aren't balanced in the high levels, therefore in BG2, they aren't as well.
    In the end it's all about flavour and playstyle, and it is still enjoyable this way, imho :).

indeed. Yet they lost their advantage in BG2, and their spell limitation would quickly make them far inferior to mages in terms of spellcasting. And unless you are a blade, even with buff you tend to avoid melee with the bard.

Really thought, I think the song would make this class even more original and amazing : the backdraw of a blade was supposed to be the fact that his song never improved, which means that the song was intended to be something strong, but black isle failed at it.

I would really love to see the song getting really more powerful with each new level (but significantly powerful) so that it adds even more variety to a bard play by encouraging you to use the song. It would also help the bard in BG 2 who is weaker, since the song would pack quite a punch at level 9.
    edited August 2012
    Once you get the HLA Bardsong, it tends to become overpowered again.
    Plus you can abuse the hell out of it by casting an army of hasted Skeleton Warriors plus Mislead, let the Illusion sing the overpowered Bardsong and whack your way trough the enemies with your personal army.

Believe me, you can solo the whole game with a single Bard quite easily.
    Yeah but the HLA bardsong was broken because it gave an unfair advantage to blade over the other kits, and it also made the skald useless.

And HLA was mainly for throne of Bhaal. Bards were OK in TOB, so thats not an issue.

I just had an excellent idea : why not adding more bard instrument into the games? INstead of having to buff the song, just allow the instrument to play stronger song.

As you progress, you find better instrument that all makes different songs.

That would allow for a big variety of playstyle, and would really help the bard (especially in BG2), and would actually make the bard song useful?

ANyone agrre?
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    The Bard class isn't supposed to be all that powerful. When he doesn't play his song to keep the party from running away, he can help in several different ways - he can help in melee, attack from range and cast spells - not as good as other classes, but good enough to be useful along them. The Bard's advantage is in his versatility.
    yeah that is true in BG 1, but not in the 2. His versatility is weak in BG 2 : his pickpocket is useless, his song is useless, his magical ability are weak, he is weak in melee (except blade again).

This description looks good on paper, but it's hardly a fact. If you don't pick a blade , in BG 1, you are going to end up using him solely as a spellcaster.
    His melee would be more advantageous if he could sing while melee + if his song was stronger.

I see nothing wrong in my last idea : making the song more useful wouldn't hurt. Making more items specific for bards that improve their song (like a harp...) and allows them to play different song depending on the situation would be amazing.
    It would open up a lot more play style possibility. I don't see how anyone could disagree, it would be a nice addition.

• SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    There are a lot of bard specific items...
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I'm all for more improvements to my favorite class, but I'm also fine with it the way it is. Then again, I'm not a fan of min-maxing since I already find the game easy enough with pretty much any sort of character.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Too many harps, not enough lutes!
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    As long as they add elven chainmail in BG1 at some point so that my bard can cast spells and wear armor would be amazing.
    Since they'll be adding the pause game function during inventory, I can't do the ol' switch on armor really fast so I don't die for a Hobgoblin elite trick.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160

As long as they add elven chainmail in BG1 at some point so that my bard can cast spells and wear armor would be amazing.
    Since they'll be adding the pause game function during inventory, I can't do the ol' switch on armor really fast so I don't die for a Hobgoblin elite trick.

If the response to my question on the AMAA is any indication, there will be. No longer must we kill Drizzt! :D
    There aren't a lot of bard specific items. I honnestly never saw more than 3 instrument. ANd they sucked.

Bard song should be improved for all kit :
    -Either by improving it every level
    -adding several items that boost the song or allows to plays different song

In order to make the bard/skald/jester more polyvalent, he should be able to play the song while he is in melee, that would encourage players to use them in melee more often (except the blade again) instead of just having him spellcasting at the back.
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    And his song should be Wail of the Banshee once per round. Seriously I really don't think bards need buffs.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    The Jester song can probably confuse half the enemies in all of BG1. We'r

@GueulEclator
    Well, I think that if the songs were significantly stronger (like in Heart of Winter -- those were pretty good, as I recall), then it makes more sense to have to choose between singing and engaging in combat, as the coices would be more evenly matched...

You actually got a bunch of different songs as you leveled in IWD2. That was really awesome.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

@GueulEclator

You actually got a bunch of different songs as you leveled in IWD2. That was really awesome.
    Doesn't IWD2 use DnD 3rd ed?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It does, @Aliteri, but the Bard songs in IWD2 were totally original concoctions of the Black Isle dev team. They weren't from any ruleset that I'm aware of.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited August 2012
    @GueulEclator

Unless you are playing a skald (and even there...), you are never going to play the plain bard song. You are never going to play the blade song either, and almost never the jester song either (almost no enemies, unless in the very beginning, will fail the saving throw).low level).

I'm afraid you got it backwards, friend. YOU will never use the plain bard song. I, on the other hand, did so frequently and intend to do it again in the future. It's not only a whole-party buff with no 'x per day' casting limit, it's also a whole-party resist/remove fear with no 'x per day' casting limit. Many a monster, including the fierce Mr. Firkraag, died very surprised that my party charged them with a song on their lips, rather than scatter in blind panic.
    And the sweetest thing of all happened to me in Hell - the Fear demon offered me some stinking cloak, and I could simply flip him a bird, pull out my trusty lute and dance through the lair of fear, singing of valor of my humble self.
    So if you don't appreciate the beauty of the bard class... well, your loss, friend. :)

@GueulEclator

Well that would be awesome if they do the same thing in BG EE.
    That way you would have a song that's actually worth something.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Syntia13 said:

It's not only a whole-party buff with no 'x per day' casting limit, it's also a whole-party resist/remove fear with no 'x per day' casting limit.

Little known fact: The plain Bardsong doesn't actually buff your party, it only gives the resist/remove fear effect.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Aliteri said:

There's bard-specific armor in BG2 that the bard can use and still spellcast. And, given Kensai, no armor isn't that much of a deal, especially with UAI.

What is UAI?
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

Aliteri said:

There's bard-specific armor in BG2 that the bard can use and still spellcast. And, given Kensai, no armor isn't that much of a deal, especially with UAI.

What is UAI?
    Use Any Item.

It does, @Aliteri, but the Bard songs in IWD2 were totally original concoctions of the Black Isle dev team. They weren't from any ruleset that I'm aware of.

I see. Still that initiative is in line with 3rd edition bard.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @reedmilfam

Use Any Item. Its one of their possible high level abilities.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    The only buff I'd like to see to bards overall is some sort of lingering song like you were able to talent into in IWD2. Otherwise you have to use the auto-pause at the end of every round feature to make sure that it goes up.

Also in good news. In the AMAA someone asked Trent about adding Elven Chain into BG1 since there wasn't any. Less than 30 minutes later Philip responded saying that Trent asked him to add in Elven chainmail and now it was there. That's another huge BG1 buff to bards.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Bards are amazing. Even plain bards, though it's a class you should obviously kit because all the kits are insane awesome and it's not like you can dual-class.

I mean, no one plays a plain paladin, not with how overpowered Cavalier is. Even Undead Hunters are huge bonuses for very little downside. No one plays a plain fighter because Berzerker exists.

So I don't buy the "Bards are underpowered" thing. First off, wands. Yeah, okay, mages are "better" at spells. But if you have the money, bards are just as good especially in BG1 because they still reach level 4 spells I believe.

Bards can also equip any weapon. That's a huge deal, being able to equip whatever you want and being diverse in that. It allows you a lot of wiggle room for the rest of your party. They make excellent two-hander wielders for this reason.

They are arguably the best single class once you get into epic levels, too. Epic Bard Song is amazing and essentially negates the only downside to Blades. Spike Traps are totally overpowered. Use All Items is obviously pretty broken.

I really don't know why there are so many people out there who dislike them. Maybe just because the two Bard NPCs in BG1 are so trash?