Skip to content

Why No Adjustments to Original Characters?

JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
I understand that we cannot adjust the conversations, stats or much of anything in regards to the original characters and that this choice came down from the people that own the franchise. My questions is why? I've read through many a thread, but cannot find the answer to this question besides, "because."

I think the game would be so much better if there were romances with original characters, more party banter, etc. What is the logic for placing these artificial limitation on the creators of BG:EE?

Comments

• JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    This is the thing that frustrates me most with BG:EE.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think the thought of the original rights holders was that they didn't want to break something that didn't need fixing.
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    I wonder if Trent & Co. pushed the rights holders on this issue of not fixing something that's broke or if they feel the same way? Perhaps they didn't want to spend resources on the old characters when they are trying to push the new characters?
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @jorkan

BG trilogy is regarded as one of the greatest games of all time, or pretty high up there. I'm surprised that they would let them work on it, but sometimes when you remake something and you change too much, you break the game and people find it hard to go back to the original. But the thing that doesn't makes sense to me is that this is going to make the version on Gog.com all but worthless (why buy the original when you have the EE version).

I'm not one to say if it's not broke, don't fix it. I'm the opposite. Improve it, change it, whatever it takes to make it better. :)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Because we can't have somebody "fixing" Kagain's 20 Constitution. He's going to be my tank, all right? Back off!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Leave Coran's 20 Dexterity alone as well. He's an elf. It should be legal :)
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

Because the characters, their interactions and the tale were written by somebody, which makes it theirs. People are actually very invested in what they write and generally do not approve of changes to their work without permission. Whether it be the kindergartener that doesn't want daddy to put purple on their scribble (supposed to be a horse) or a game writer who created an NPC just as they wanted it, the author's rights should always be respected - especially in a formal setting, such as re-releasing the game on the market.

This is a good point. It's easy to forget, when we're complaining about how Tiax needs a huge stat boost to be a useable NPC, that a lot of these characters were created with personality in mind over playability.

Let's be honest. Baldur's Gate isn't a terribly difficult game. It's not like you're going to get stuck and be unable to beat the game if you use guys like Tiax and Eldoth and Quayle
  • MReedMReed Member Posts: 25
    I suspect that the underlying issue is that Bioware negotiated an open-ended contract with whoever owned the D&D license at the time that allowed the to create any number of "expansion packs" -- without putting a time limit on how LONG they could make expansion packs. So, when Overhaul approached Bioware about doing BG:EE, Bioware dug up the old contact and said, "Hmmm.... Given the way that this is worded, if we call it an expansion pack then Wizards' has to allow the game to be produced, even if it is still 2E. Sounds good to us! :)"

Otherwise, I can't see why Wotc would green light BG:EE without also mandating that it be updated to 4E (which would, of course, kill the project -- better to write a new game at that point).
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Question here: I know they can't change what has already been done, but can they get the old voice-artists back so that new characters can have new, interactive banters with the old characters? I can only imagine Minsc talking to/about Dorn or Rasad, or what Dynaheir or Edwin might have to say to Neera.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Characters that work, leave alone.

Characters who are fundamentally worthless? Please fix them. Garrick, Alora and Quayle are bad characters and are so far behind even other bad characters, it's comical. Every other characters is fine but these guys are all total garbage. I have literally never used any of them for any length of time, ever.

When they are dead weight, it means they need some sort of rework. It's not like they'd need something really significant, either.

Garrick: Either boost his dexterity to max for a human, or boost his intelligence to 16. He's so stupid he basically can't even scribe scrolls. He has +2 dex modifier, and that's it. Everything else might as well be 7. I don't even think Garrick has a unique ability.

Alora: Honestly all they'd really have to do is make it so you can recruit her earlier somehow. Maybe give her 15 CON to make use of halfling saving throws? The fact she's worse at thievery than the multi-classed Coran, whom also joins really late, and yet is statistically worse than he is in every way? Trash character. I can't think of a reason to use her, period. Ever. Unless you're doing a hardcore run and literally every other character in the game is dead.

Quayle: He'd be worth using if he didn't suffer divine spellcasting failure. All you have to do is bump his Wisdom to 13. Also make him proficient in quarterstaves rather than maces considering he can't lift a mace with his low strength.

That's all. Just make them usable. That's all I ask.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    >Quayle: He'd be worth using if he didn't suffer divine spellcasting failure.

Are you seriously calling Alora and Qayale "Trash". that must be trolling.
    Alora, with the 19 Dex, "trash"? ::Channels Prof. QuirrelL from Harry Potter:: "TROLL!!!!!!!!!! in the forums! Just thought you'd like to know..." (collapse and faint)
    @LadyRhian: The difference between 18 Dexterity and 19 dexterity is:

+1 ranged Thac0, an extra 5% bonus to thievery skills.

Ooh. Aah. I'm amazed. (I'd write this in a sarcasm font if one existed.)

By the way, it's her ONLY stat in the black. That's ALL you have with her. I guess she has slightly better saving throws than your other thieves simply for being a halfling. OH WAIT: that only happens on character creation so she doesn't actually get those bonuses even though she's entitled to them.

So yes, I'm calling Alora trash. Name a single way she is better than Imoen. Her bonus to thieving skills for being a halfling and having higher dexterity are negated by the fact Imoen is with you from level 1 so you can actually put them into useful abilities. Imoen also has significantly better HP.

The worst pure thief statistically is Safana, but I'd still rather take Safana. If I really want, I can dual-class Safana to mage if I give her the +INT tome. Also, she's easy to get which means I can skill her up how I want. Also she can hold an item or two without that being the only two items she's holding. That's a minor pet peeve, but still one that goes a long way into my loathe for Alora.

Skie manages to get a bonus to constitution and also has 18 Dex, so she's a better thief.

Coran has 20 Dex and also joins earlier and is also super handy with a bow. Montaron joins the moment you leave Candlekeep and is a fairly capable thief/warrior without any boosts from equipment. Even Shar-Teel if you want to dual her to thief ends up a more capable character than Alora.

Give me a single reason to use her. She's the most superfluous character in the game. Having the natural max Dex for your race type doesn't save you from being worthless, Alora.

@Roller12: Quayle can't even reliably cast his cleric spells, of which he is very limited due to no bonus spells per level and the fact he's multi-classed and therefore levels really slowly. As such, it means he's a somewhat capable mage that levels really, really, really, really, really slowly. Boosting his wisdom to 13 doesn't give him bonus cleric spells but it means they wouldn't fail to cast any more. It'd go a long way to making him a viable pick to a given party. He's clunky and unwieldy purely for that reason. Make it so his cleric multi-class makes sense and okay. He's a decent character then.

If you guys don't think those characters are bad, then you must not think any character is bad because they are all clearly the worst.
    Well i can agree that many NPC, not specifically those mentioned, are late pickers, that seems a strategy developers pursue to apparently keep the player occupied with new stuff. Same thing in NWN2, and they even force the new stuff in. Have yet to see anyone enjoying this type of recruiting, but oh well. And ye i would love to see it changed and many mods actually do, but i wouldnt expect Overhaul do it sadly.

As for the other stuff, thats just one huge pile of theorycrafting, come on man. Id rather abstain picking on that. Even Shar-teel is better as a thief? Ye shar-teel is about as worthless as Alora.
    The way I see it, I need a reason to utilize an NPC other than "they exist." They have to do something different or unique from the other people in the same role.

I doubt I'm alone in that regard. And if you think like I do, it becomes apparent Alora is pretty useless. If you don't want to waste your INT tome on Safana to dual-class her into Mage, okay. Alora is a better pure thief than Safana is and doesn't use up something you'll probably want on your Bhaalspawn. Skie would be the next closest comparison. I'll take the trade off of a single ranged Thac0 and slightly better saving throws for improved HP and the ability to hold more gear than a single weapon and armor, plus she's got to tag along with another NPC so hey there's something unique there.

Besides, this is assuming you're going to use any of those over Imoen anyway, who is statistically superior to all of them AND she tags along from level 1.

Every other thief is multi- or dual-classed so they already set themselves apart for those reasons alone. I don't think I'm a horrible monster for thinking Alora has no purpose for existing. She doesn't even have a unique ability about her like 75% of the cast does, so I could simply roll a better NPC than her with extremely little effort. It's not like she has a whole lot of interaction with the rest of your NPCs due to how little scripting they did for her due to her joining so late.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012
    I think you have a point from a powergamer's perspective, @SandmanCCL, but I'm not sure what you want people to say in response. Sure, the characters you mention would be better if their stats made more sense. And I would agree that they seem like rushed, last minute add-ons that weren't thought through carefully in their creation.

They have their fans, though, from a roleplayer's perspective, which is different from a powergamer's. One of the great things about Baldur's Gate, and part of its lasting appeal, is that it is a flexible D&D world that can satisfy several different playstyles.

As for the "weaker" characters, you could use them as a difficulty-increasing handicap for a greater challenge, or you could use them just because you like them and they're fun to have around. Have you read Alora's player in @LadyRhian's pencil-and-paper D&D thread? They're really bringing Alora to life in there, and it's a lot of fun to read the lines and banters they're writing for her. And who can resist smiling when Garrick's morale breaks and he sings "Brave, Brave, Sir Garrick"?
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    There will be modders changing the characters anyway. I would love Minsc to be a real Berserker, Kivan an Archer and Xan a sorcerer. If there is some shadow keeper/infinity explorer for the Mac, I will make these changes myself (as well as removing the XP-cap, I never understood the use of ceasing to become better at your work passed a certain level, I certainly hope my doctor doesn't stop getting better at his work after leaving medical school!).
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    LadyRhian said:

Question here: I know they can't change what has already been done, but can they get the old voice-artists back so that new characters can have new, interactive banters with the old characters? I can only imagine Minsc talking to/about Dorn or Rasad, or what Dynaheir or Edwin might have to say to Neera.

I asked a similar question in the FAQ thread. The old NPCs can have interactions with the new NPCs in the new areas only.

Hopefully there will be some voiced lines as such, but if so we'll only get to hear them in the game's new areas.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I think characters like Alora, who can only be recruited late in the game, are simply there as backups - if you got Imoen and Safana gibbed and you really need a pure thief, she's it. She'll never be as good as the girl from Candlekeep, of course, but if you got her killed then that's rather your fault, isn't it? :)
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Fan response is somewhat divided on improving old characters stats:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3587

Only about half the fans seem to want this, which surprised me. Many people said the original statistics do not even matter! People seem to respond to the personalities more than the stats. They also feel that the number of changes should be kept to an absolute minimum. I guess it's a sobering reminder to me...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't want to go all George Lucas and ruin something by remastering it.

(kidding)
    Silence said:

Many people said the original statistics do not even matter!

I agree with this on everyone but those 3 guys. Garrick doesn't have the INT to make use of spells without throwing a lot of money into purchasing copies of the same spells + raw luck he'll ever actually scribe something, so he can't even make use of the most powerful side of his class. Quayle cannot make worthwhile use of half his class. Alora is redundant and nothing about her sets her apart from a gameplay perspective.

Every other character does at least one thing well, even ones I commonly hear a lot of people think "suck" like Khalid, Jahiera, Tiax, and Eldoth. Khalid + gauntlets of Ogre Power = arguably the best tank in the game. Jahiera can at least make use of her druid spells and has access to decent equipment so she's not dead weight. Tiax has possibly the best personal ability in the game with Summon Ghoul. Eldoth + Gauntlets of Dexterity is one of the best anti-casters and a capable archer in his own right because of his poison arrows, and he's a licence to print money due to those same arrows regardless.

Poor statistics are one thing. Borderline unusable statistics are another. I fail to see how making these characters functional changes their RP value, either. If you like their personalities, you like their personalities and boosting some stats to make them shine isn't going to change that.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I don't know, I think Garrick is supposed to be stupid. I'm not sure about the other characters, though.
    @Lemernis That sucks. Why only in the new areas? If they can add to the game in new areas, why not all areas? My face is a "Huh?" mask at the moment.

@SandmanCCL Don't forget -1 to AC, which is always useful. Perhaps, as an old skool (ironically used here) gamer, I see no characters as "trash", useless or hopeless. My first character in Basic D&D had a 14 strength, and that was her highest stat. It didn't make her "trash" or "Useless". If all a character's worth to you is in their stats... eh. I find it more heroic to survive and thrive without extremely high stats in all areas. So, no. I don't agree that Alora is trash. And I really dislike Eldoth. I would never have him in my party, poison arrows or no. But even I wouldn't call his character "trash". I also dislike Skie, but that's because I find her character annoying rather than any deficiency in her stats.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I think the reason why they don't update the old characters is because of arguments like those presented here. Yes, some NPCs are simply worse/better than others, but it has always been that way. If they improved one character, why not another, and another? And what changes should they make? How drastic should they be?

By flat out saying that they won't touch ANY of the old characters, they freed themselves to focus on adding new characters, new stuff... to look to the future rather than muck about in the below-average stat pools of the past. :-)
    edited September 2012
    Okay enough of that nonsense

Quayle. the manual is wrong, divine spell failure is not implemented in the game, clerics will happily cast everything even with minimum wisdom. Quyale has low wisdom purely for balance reasons. The exp system in BG works a bit weird so multiclasses get almost as far as pure classes. Quayle will be a lvl7cleric/lvl7mage, where pure casters end as lvl8 cleric and lvl9 mage. Quayle has access to all spells a pure cleric has access to, and his only disadvantage is that he cant cast arcane lvl5 spells, being short just a couple of k exp to reach it. With cap he and Edwin both have 23 spells/day. Without exp cap he gets access to all arcane spells and becomes the absolute best caster in the game. And cap is increased in BGEE. No matter what caster your party has he/she safely can be replaced with him, again short of Edwin maybe. Quayle is that good.

Alora, apparenty words are not enough to defeat rampant theorycrafting, so here is a pic how Alora should look like with keypoints highlighted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cast Strength to get her up to 18/50 for 9 hours, which is not necessary btw but sure helps. The real gem is her stealth value. The more stealth you have the easier it is to hide, and consequently to backstab more often. Once there are no red circles in sight, the character is eligible for hiding, even in bright daylight, but penalized. And Alora is a hiding goddess. Skills are capped and the only way one can progress beyond the cap is via dex and racial bonuses, so Alora has the best possible stealth value in the game. Even with 8 strength she backstabs for about 45 damage, rehide and continue.

Next, saving throw of 3 vs spells. This a BG2:ToB value, In case it is not sufficiently clear, she is almost immune vs save-or-else spells. Needs to roll a 3-20 on a d20 dice to get away unharmed. Which is also not necessarily true because of her special ability.

Yes she does have one. Notice her lucky rabbit foot? This is not just a silent Boo. This is the best item in the game, no exceptions. Ok that would be too good. It would be the best item in the game if it would be working as intended, her rabbit foot gives +luck, and luck affects every roll in the game, although currently it doesnt, hopefully they fix it in BGee. Explaining luck is outside the scope of this post.

In short Alora may have a small frame but is miles ahead other NPC. As for Shar-teel being "weak", sorry i almost died from laughter. Be it as it be.
    @LadyRhian: I'm not forgetting -1 to AC. Both 18 and 19 Dex grant -4 AC. Same value there for both. You don't get -5 AC from dexterity til you hit 21 and only Coran is capable of that without spells.

You apparently have some sort of emotional investment in Alora and that's fine. I am not looking at this from an RP perspective because that really doesn't matter to me especially in a conversation about making adjustments to characters. I wish you wouldn't take it personally I feel she's the most superfluous character in the game from a gameplay, mechanics perspective.

Part of the reason I wish Garrick was a more viable NPC is because I like his personality and I want more incentive to use him.
    Roller12 said:

Okay enough of that nonsense

Quayle. the manual is wrong, divine spell failure is not implemented in the game

Wasn't this way in BG1 Vanilla to the best of my memory so I suppose I never gave him a chance beyond that.

I've happily admitted he'd be a good character if it wasn't for that. My suggestion to bump his wisdom up 3 points didn't change any value Wisdom grants beyond 10 except for removing spell failure. Changing his wisdom to 13 WOULDN'T HAVE IMPACTED HIS BALANCE TO THE GAME.

You could have said "Divine Spell Failure is not implemented in the game so 10 Wisdom doesn't actual hinder his spellcasting" several posts ago and I would have readily backed off.
    Roller12 said:

Cast Strength to get her up to 18/50 for 9 hours

Because you can't do that with other thief NPCs. Ones that also have significantly better stats in other areas. And that don't have a bloated stealth value beyond what you'd reasonably need to succeed in stealth every time. And that have better find traps skill.
    Roller12 said:

Next, saving throw of 3 vs spells. This a BG2:ToB value, In case it is not sufficiently clear, she is almost immune vs save-or-else spells. Needs to roll a 3-20 on a d20 dice to get away unharmed. Which is also not necessarily true because of her special ability.

Montaron has better saving throws, is usable from level 1, and without buffs can actually manage to land a hit for damage due to better Thac0.
    Roller12 said:

Yes she does have one. Notice her lucky rabbit foot? This is not just a silent Boo. This is the best item in the game, no exceptions. Ok that would be too good. It would be the best item in the game if it would be working as intended, her rabbit foot gives +luck, and luck affects every roll in the game, although currently it doesnt, hopefully they fix it in BGee. Explaining luck is outside the scope of this post.

So she has "the best item in the game, no exceptions" except that it actually does nothing because it doesn't work as intended?

K.

Also if we're counting buffs through spells, pretty sure you can cast Luck on anyone with your wizard if you really need it. Cool to have in an item, sure. Hardly makes it the "best item in the game" if a level 2 spell can replicate it's effects.
    Roller12 said:

In short Alora may have a small frame but is miles ahead other NPC. As for Shar-teel being "weak", sorry i almost died from laughter. Be it as it be.

Shar-Teel is the best evil-aligned ranged character. Did I miss something? Has that somehow become totally insignificant? Also, fighter levels so she's not a pure thief even if you decide to go that route.
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2012
    @sandmanCCL
    Quayle is a powerhouse if you know how to profit from his spell arsenal.
    He doesn't get bonus spells, but come on, every NPC is counter balanced in some way in BG1.

I can somehow understand your points concerning Alora and Garrick.
    Me personally, I find Garrick pretty useful. He's available early, nicely identifies your stuff and levels up very fast so that his spells are very strong compared to the mage's version of the same Exp.
    Plus he is an OK backup (X-bow)archer.
    His weak point is his measly Int, so that scribing is tedious, yes.

Alora seems superfluous to me, only because she joins so late and there are a ton of thieves already in the game much more earlier. Though I used her once to get me that shiny scimitar from Drizzt and she was good at this task ;P

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @sandmanCCL: Technically, Shar-Teel doesn't start out as a thief at all, and can serve quite well as a front-line fighter.