Skip to content

Why do women play Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Ravenslight , I'm pretty sure that Edwin portrait is from Artastrophe's portrait pack.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thank you @BelgarathMTH :)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    You know, now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about the slaves not cutting their hair. Ah well, I guess I will just have to flatter Edwin into keeping his hood up so that I can still pretend his hair is long. :)

It is interesting how many little things there are in the game that don’t really fit the lore. I wonder if it was a conscious decision to ignore lore with Minsc’s hair, or an unintentional oversight. It certainly is a conspicuous one.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    F*ck da (lore) Po-liece!
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2015
    meagloth said:

F*ck da (lore) Po-liece!

Rejoice, not all Thayans have shaved heads.

Szass Tam, Zulkir of Necromancy and the true ruler of Thay.

Anyway, no Thayan in his right mind would EVER under ANY circumstances let their hair grow out. Trust me on that one.

I guess he is insane, you are wrong, or both.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    PSSHHTT, when you're a badass lich like that I'm sure you stop caring what people think lol
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    In his old age, he probably just forgot to shave, and nobody wanted to point it out due to fear of being turned into undead themselves.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Or, it's like Dresden's hat. It only exists on the covers of the books.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Do we have any reason to assume Minsc's lack of hair is actually a concious choice? Could he not simply be one of those people who goes bald early or maybe have some disease? And maybe Edwin's been cursed by reading The Hairy Scroll or something.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    What if Dynaheir had to shave Minsc's head to treat the head wound that's mentioned several times? I mean, sure the tattoo is a bit strange, but still. Makes you wonder.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Ravenslight If Edwin wanted to stand out as a Thayan, he could tattoo his bald scalp. Females from Thay are also bald. There was a character known as the "Princess of Thay", Dmitra Flass, who was bald and had her head tattooed with Blue(?) designs. She ended up marrying the High Blade of Mulmaster.
    LadyRhian said:

Females from Thay are also bald. There was a character known as the "Princess of Thay", Dmitra Flass, who was bald and had her head tattooed with Blue(?) designs.

There's also Safiya, the Thayan Red Wizard from NwN2's Mask of the Betrayer.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

You know, now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about the slaves not cutting their hair. Ah well, I guess I will just have to flatter Edwin into keeping his hood up so that I can still pretend his hair is long. :)

It is interesting how many little things there are in the game that don’t really fit the lore. I wonder if it was a conscious decision to ignore lore with Minsc’s hair, or an unintentional oversight. It certainly is a conspicuous one.

I doubt the artist had more than a short description/concept to go by, and he likely did not have any particular knowledge of DnD or FR, let alone relatively obscure stuff about Rashemen. Probably just "large berserker warrior with a hamster".
    Archaos said:

meagloth said:

F*ck da (lore) Po-liece!

Rejoice, not all Thayans have shaved heads.

Szass Tam, Zulkir of Necromancy and the true ruler of Thay.

Anyway, no Thayan in his right mind would EVER under ANY circumstances let their hair grow out. Trust me on that one.

I guess he is insane, you are wrong, or both.

That's not hair, that's just lichen growing from his neck.

Do we have any reason to assume Minsc's lack of hair is actually a concious choice? Could he not simply be one of those people who goes bald early

Early onset baldness does in no way cause complete hairlessness. Only shaving does that :
    edited July 2015
    @scriver The BG games have many lore inconsistencies. The later games kind of fixed that or maybe it was TSR being more loose with enforcing lore-accuracy or WotC being more strict with the same.

For example, Jaheira's portrait and mechanics clearly showing her wearing metal armor.
    Even multiclass Druids cannot wear metal armor in ADnD.

Or that liches don't make use of their phylactery and just die when destroyed.
    Especially the BG portraits were off with Coran not having elven ears or Viconia's totally wrong facial features and colors.

Viconia's colors in BG2 are actually lore-accurate. Not all Drow have obsidian black skin and red eyes.
    Some have dark blue skin and blue, violet or amber eyes.
    Their hair could also be grayish, platinum, silver or have some mixed hues with white.
    @Archaos Jaheira's armor is brown. It could be leather scale. There is nothing that says it's completely metal. And she *can* wear studded leather in-game.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Ignatius_J_Reilly

One should note that countries with a strong focus on cultural harmony, such as Japan and Korea, are not plagued with the frequent mass shootings that the United States is.

If you consider "cultural harmony" as "#@^# all foreigners", then maybe. I'd say there is very little cultural harmony in Korea and Japan, and if anything there is MORE "distrust and paranoia" (as you describe it) as both South Korea and Japan are among the most xenophobic developed countries in the world.

Also, this following statement is literally the OPPOSITE of true

In addition, American society is highly atomised; the general cultural mindset is "Sink or swim, you're on your own, don't expect anyone to help you."

As you can see here http://www.marketwatch.com/story/and-the-most-generous-country-in-the-world-is-2014-11-18
    U.K.-based charity CAF-America researches to make a World Giving Index, with three categories
    1) Helping a stranger
    2) Volunteering time
    3) Donating money
    The US was the ONLY nation in the top ten in all three categories, and number one (by quite the margin) in "helping a stranger"

Honestly, your cultural stereotypes are, just like most cultural stereotypes, completely baseless.
    @BelgarathMTH Thread drift is a thing. It happens. :)
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    LadyRhian said:

@BelgarathMTH Thread drift is a thing. It happens. :)

Admittedly, the mild term "drift" doesn't even apply to this thread. We've been rocked by a wave. =p
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    It's amazing how a joke about bald people can spiral downward into an argument about baldness in certain Faerunian cultures. :grin: You guys are great.
    @Elrandir Several. Tidal waves. ;)
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    scriver said:

lichen

Heh heh.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Oh my, how is this thread is still alive?
    edited August 2015
    LadyRhian said:

@Archaos Jaheira's armor is brown. It could be leather scale. There is nothing that says it's completely metal. And she *can* wear studded leather in-game.

I forgot to respond to this. I was talking about this portrait. In BG2.

This one clearly looks like metal. Perhaps a Breastplate but it's not studded leather, chain or leather.
    Unless there's a type of leather that is supposed to look metallic, then that's clearly a lore-breaking part of the game.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    She put it on for the portrait.
This discussion has been closed.