Skip to content

what would be the bare minimum for a laptop to run the enhanced editions?

My wife will be moving in with me soon and i would like to get a cheapish laptop to play the enhanced editions. as my pc is connected to the tv, it isn't fair to completely take that over but i can sit next to her with a laptop. problem is i have no idea if integrated graphics will run the games in a playable fashion. i don't want to break the bank as it will just be a small laptop for basic gaming.
has anyone here had any experience with the enhanced editions on a laptop with integrated graphics? what would the community recommend in terms of hardware? the sites i have looked at have all pointed me towards dedicated graphics but i was playing bg2 when it came out on a computer less powerful than my phone so i think they aren't quite with it.

would this be alright?
http://www.ebuyer.com/705955-hp-455-quad-core-laptop-l8b56es
although it is a bit more than i wanted to spend

http://www.ebuyer.com/669147-hp-255-g3-quad-core-laptop-k7h92es-abu
is more reasonable.

any advice is welcome
Thanks

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

It's based on code that was released when my computer was a 500MHz Pentium 3.

might wanna be careful there. I think most of the rendering code was thrown out and written from scratch.

I have no idea what the minimum specs would be beyond what's written on the tin though
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    I can run it on on mine which is way below those models in terms of processing power.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/laptops/satellite/c50-b/satellite-c50-b-13t/

I can also run PoE on it in case you ever want to play that on it.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I'm sure any old toaster could run a game from 1998 that has some minor visual upgrades.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    *hooks up game to toaster*

Yep, it works!
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Nimran said:

*hooks up game to toaster*

Yep, it works!

Not on mine, it shorts the power every time it gets turned on, I'll have to use the grill instead.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    You'll need to disable UI scaling for a toaster oven though. Otherwise it just looks crumby...

:neutral:
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    procco said:

You'll need to disable UI scaling for a toaster oven though. Otherwise it just looks crumby...

:neutral:

I went out and bought the game just so I could play it on my toaster but it won't work. I think I got burnt.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'll second whoever said you probably can't buy a new laptop that's unable to run the EEs. Consider this: they run smoothly on most tablets with comparatively flimsier hardware.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Considering I used to play Warcraft 3 on a 2008-model mini-laptop, I think running even EE-version of BG is feasible on any device you can carry out of a store these days.

I used to have the opposite problem with vanilla-BG, where later versions of Windows would not support BG and the game would crash each time I tried opening it. I'm no computer wizard so fixing that problem wasn't within my skillset. Thankfully, EE fixed that problem for me.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    My DVD version of EE says minimum standards: Windows Vista 7,8, processor 1 ghz, 512 GB ram memory, openGL 2.0 compatible graphics, 2,17 GB HD space on hard drive and sound: Windows compatible.

And I have no clue what the sound and graphics demands mean seeing I am a computer illiterate.

And it's running smoothly on my ordinary and rather cheap HP laptop that is no gaming computer in any way.

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I have a nearly decade-old Dell Vostro 1500 with Core2 Duo processor, and it runs the EE games perfectly fine.
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    hornash said:

has anyone here had any experience with the enhanced editions on a laptop with integrated graphics? what would the community recommend in terms of hardware? the sites i have looked at have all pointed me towards dedicated graphics but i was playing bg2 when it came out on a computer less powerful than my phone so i think they aren't quite with it.

What other games do you want to play on it? For IE games, it doesn't matter what you got nowadays, but if there are any other side-games you want to roll on a laptop, then..

but even then, laptop integrated gfx is pretty ok for typical non-taxing games anyhow. It won't handle The Witcher 3, but that's alright when it's not its purpose.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    EE graphics are quite a lot more demanding than the original game. Even so, modern integrated graphics are completely fine running EE.

A great site to evaluate graphics processors is Passmark:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

I have two older computers with sub-par graphics cards, but above average processors.

My work computer has an Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 2Gb. This gets a passmark score of 115. It is perfectly able to run EE.

I also set up an old box with a linux/XP dual boot, linux so the kids could browse the internet, and XP to run old games. It has a Gigabyte Geforce 7200 256Mb, which gets a passmark score of 40. EE is too laggy on this, however the original game thinks it's brilliant.

@Hornash the lower spec laptop you listed, the HP 255 G3 Quad Core, has an Amd Radeon HD 8330 video processor, which gets a passmark score of 344. Go wild :D

• fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    The current batch of AMD chips are really are slow, because they tried something new with multithreading. The cheap one you linked to might have the same speed as an ATOM.
    This one should be enough: http://www.ebuyer.com/660261-lenovo-thinkpad-e555-laptop-20dh000tuk
    Also some of those laptops did not come with Windows.