Skip to content

Do Druids get chaotic commands?

Curious on this. Thanks

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yes
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    So what does cleric bring to the table that druid won't? Or vice versa. Or what of one of each in your 6 person party?

I thought druid did not get chaotic commands so I made my protagonist a cleric 12 -> mage. At this time I am not sure if that was useful considering the big Jaheira is in the party.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The major difference is that clerics bring buff spells: Draw Upon Holy Might, Holy Power are the ways to get a cleric hitting things. Also, Animate Dead. These skeletons are excellent due to their magical resistance.

Druids's magic is different. Ironskins is an option to resist to physical damage. Insect Plague, Creeping Doom and Nature's Beauty are amazing spells against groups of enemies. Fire Elementals are good summons.

Check @lunar 's post here: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/622072/#Comment_622072 and @elminster 's post in the same thread. Maybe my own analysis on druids here: http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/633368/#Comment_633368 can help.
  • NightRevanNightRevan Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2015
    Clerics are the only ones who (by BG2 anyway) can cast raise dead (and all the variations of that spell, resurrect, mass raise dead etc) and restoration spells, which is useful though I imagine druids can use scrolls of such spells. And Jaheria as a Harper gets Harper's call which gives her at least raise dead. I love insect plague, perfect spell against enemy spellcasters :smile: . Oh, clerics also get turn undead I guess which can become quite powerful (to the point of outright destroying allot of undead) to the druid shapechange or totemic summon ability which is good at first but decreases in usefulness and power as your druid gets more powerful spells and equipment (to some extent even the werewolf kit).
    Post edited by NightRevan on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Druids can still use Rods of Resurrection for raising the dead.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    elminster said:

Druids can still use Rods of Resurrection for raising the dead.

Do they also get mass raise dead hla? I think they do.
    And Jaheira can raise dead with her special Harper spell. Funny she does not use it on her husband., but when you question her choice she gets all angry and bitter.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited May 2015
    The most notable spells are:
    Clerics get:
    Draw upon Holy Might
    Holy Power
    Righteous magic
    Raise dead, Resurrection
    Animate dead
    Holy smite/Unholy blight
    Symbol: fear death stun
    Restoration

Druids get:
    Insect plague
    Creeping doom
    Nature beauty
    Fire elemental
    Dolorous Decay
    And they get as an HLA the summon elemental prince

Basically clerics are more fighter/defensive caster oriented while druids are more offensive caster oriented.

@lunar druids get Mass raise dead HLA but it is hardly a priority when you have elemental summonings to pick first.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Druids lack remove paralysis. Very unfortunate.

For restoration there are scrolls buyable in the game.
    Resurrection is possible via a wand you can find at some time in the game.
    Mages get summoning of skeletons and druids get nifty elementals and animals.
    The other spells i do not miss much.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Clerics are very strong at low levels, but other than a Fighter duals and multis, they are the weakest class at higher levels. Kits help too though, Lathander especially can be a total beast.