Skip to content

SCS mod questions

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
People keep suggesting I install the SCS mod for SoA, to see what improved AI opponents are like. Indeed, I'll admit that some scenarios have unrealistic and weak critter AI responses. Apparently some of the combats involving quests for the new EE NPCs have programming resembling SCS. Those combats were hard, but not exactly unwinnable, so it seems fair enough. I'd be curious to see what this is like.

One of my questions is what this entails mechanically. I went to a site that offered a download for SCS, which explained most of the modifications that would be made. If I download this, would the installation involve opening up and altering game files myself? I would not feel comfortable doing that.

Assuming that the files install themselves, can I then choose which modifications will go into effect, or is it a package deal? For example, I don't see any reason to change the Melf's Meteor spell, and why shouldn't the Adventure Mart special merchandise be available? That didn't appear until chapter 6 when MC hit level 20. Hardly a game breaker there. Another change is cosmetic; it removes the color change that occurs when a wizard casts stoneskin. I rather like this; it's a visual confirmation that the spell is still in effect. Can I choose to leave things like that unchanged?

Blackraven

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    It's quite easy actually. Download SCS and extract the downloaded RAR-file in your game directory. You'll then find a file called setup-scs.exe. Run it. An installer will appear. I'd recommend you to go for a customized installation, i.e. having the installer ask you for each component whether or not you want to install it. Keep the readme at hand, to help you decide on each component.
    JoshBGJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessDexter
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    Blackraven covered it. SCS is awesome in what it does and how customizable it is.

Take note, though, that some of the components, like "Smarter mages" with pre-buffing, or "Smarter Beholders/Vampires", will murder a player who doesn't know what to expect. The same goes for the various "Tactical Challenges". SoA isn't BG1.

But then again, SCS is highly customizable. You can always remove/add a component if thing are too hard/too easy.
    JuliusBorisovDexterSmilingSword
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    It is very user friendly. When you run the exe in the mod, a window opens, choose custom install and it will ask you what to do with each and every component. Open readme for detailed explanations.

I suggest trying it out after your first succesful virgin game, however. It can be a little...tense. (But fun!)
    JuliusBorisovDexter
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Just an advance warning: installing SCS can take quite a lot of time ;) Don't freak out if the installer runs for 30+ minutes, it can definitely happen. But other than that, it's very straightforward. Most of the options are quite self-explanatory, but it'll probably be a good idea to have the readme file open alongside it to check for details on things you are unsure about.

As for the difficulty level, I always advise people to be bold and challenge themselves. Even the most hardcore settings in SCS are not unbeatable, and you learn a lot about the game trying to overcome the things SCS throws at you. The mod is quite fair for the most part, but it does require attention and an eye for detail in some places. Don't let that discourage you - on the contrary, let it excite you!
    semiticgoddessDexterArdulBlackraven
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    I went to a couple of sites that reviewed BG2 mods. Some of them said that these could cause the game to run slowly. My computer is pretty old; a laptop with 1.3 MgHz processor speed, which can't handle a lot of the more modern games. Will that be a problem?
  • JoshBGJoshBG Member Posts: 91
    FrdNwsm said:

I went to a couple of sites that reviewed BG2 mods. Some of them said that these could cause the game to run slowly. My computer is pretty old; a laptop with 1.3 MgHz processor speed, which can't handle a lot of the more modern games. Will that be a problem?

You MAY experience a 1-2 sec. stutter when you first enter the certain areas, but that's about it.
    semiticgoddess
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    semiticgoddesslunarJuliusBorisovGirewan
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Hey @subtledoctor, which other mods are compatible with SCS (playing EE version as well) as planning to use this great mod shortly and want to implement more adventure mods.
    Also how come I keep hearing AI "tougher mages" and "vampires" are so tough or maybe better I find out for myself and no spoilers lol...just want it to be doable as understand how tough it can be
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    brunardo
    lunarthe_sexteinsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited May 2015
    I agree with semiticgod, usually if you have some basic buffs up before you go into battle, things like stoneskin and you start peeling away the enemy mage's protections from the start of the battle you won't have much to worry about. If the enemy mage manages to get off a timestop he will spend most of it trying to tear down your defenses or raise his own.

If you walk into battle with no protection and you start attacking without bringing down the enemy mage's protections then he might start blasting on you with heavy offensive spells but it would be easy to avoid.

Really all you need to do is throw a spell thrust followed by a secret word and then breach while your theif is using his detect illusion skill. After that they will fall. Maybe a handful of TOB casters will have spell immunity and might require some summons or AOE spells to weaken them up a bit but they are not that hard once you get into the habit of dealing with them. Once you have spell sequencers it becomes a quick 1 round procedure to bring an enemy caster's defense down and pummel them so hard with melee that they won't even get any other spells off.

That isn't to say that they are not challenging, just that they are not that bad if you spend a little time to understand them. I went from the vanilla game on insane to SCS on insane with all the hardest options and I struggled a little but I felt it was a fantastic and fun challenge.

Subledoctor may be correct that it may be more of a challenge then you want. It's not for everyone but I felt that subledoctor exaggerated a little much when explaining the harder bits of SCS. They are tough but anyone could beat them given a little time to study the spells that are being cast. If you don't want to do that sort of thing then you should tone down the pre-buffs but enemy casters are not super hard unless you have never faced them before. After a few reloads you will figure it out and then they are simply challenging but no big deal really.

I don't remember the thread but someone made an SCS spell guide and bengoshi has linked to it in the past. It really helped me out and I realized that SCS mages are only hard because you don't understand the the spell system entirely. After a little study of the after-mentioned guide every thing became easier to deal with. Challenging but not too much to handle.

EDIT:
    subledoctor must have replied before I posted what I wrote. I agree with both of ya.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

I don't remember the thread but someone made an SCS spell guide and bengoshi has linked to it in the past. It really helped me out and I realized that SCS mages are only hard because you don't understand the the spell system entirely. After a little study of the after-mentioned guide every thing became easier to deal with. Challenging but not too much to handle.

http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36604/bg2-solo-scs-spell-guide/p1 A must read really it is!
    the_sextein
    semiticgoddessArdulthe_sextein
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited May 2015
    I agree but I would include the spell revisions even as a first time user. The SCS readme does mention that the improved AI relies on the spell revisions to work properly so if you don't alter the spells then the AI will be doing things that does not make sense sometimes which will make the game easier than intended and could break immersion at times. I would recommend the spell revisions and the AI improvements for someone who wants to get their feet wet. If you want more enemies and more tactics after that then pile on the high level mobs and the tactics battles.

Pre-buffs and improved enemies should probably be added last. The improved enemies will give monsters like dragons and demons more hit points and make them higher level so the challenge can leap up pretty drastic with these options enabled. After all that you will have some tweaks to items and ease of use options and economy options which are more about individual preference than actual difficulty. The battles won't be harder with these last options enabled but they can put a strain on your equipment which will effect the way you battle and can make the game harder in the long run.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
    Thanks everyone for the great tips, Yeah those SCS mages might be a pain but I am looking for a challenge as Insane isnt enough anymore and thnk u @bengoshi for the link as helped grasp some little things I was missing for "mage chess" when I go SCS!
    JuliusBorisov
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2015
    brunardo said:

I am looking for a challenge as Insane isnt enough anymore

Really? Have you done the final encounter on level 5 of WK? They kicked my posterior the first time I encountered them. OK, once you know what you're dealing with you can devise a strategy but off the cuff, the first time? I was feeling pretty cocky up until then, having defeated the first two waves fairly handily. Ouch! They didn't need any SCS; I was left sitting there afterward saying "what the heck just happened?"

Musigny
    first time for sure that was crazy, think this is my 4th-5th playthrough so know what to expect from that fight....that one is still one of the tougher battles for sure and dreading SCS on that one
    Dexter
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Mods are exactly there for that purpose: to add replayability. Barring some glaring problems that need to be fixed by mods, you rarely see people modding the game the first time through (or often even the second and third times). It's when you've gotten used to things and want to delve deeper that mods come into play, because naturally many games were not designed with, uh, "power users" in mind. That is why we have things like SCS to spice things up, and that is why BG2 has lasted a decade and still provides people with fun, challenging experiences.
    Dexter[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovSmilingSword