Skip to content

Wand of Spell Striking

So I'm wondering around Watchers Keep with my level 12 solo sorcerer, and picked up the Wand of Spell Striking. My sorc has not picked Breach or Pierce Magic yet, and I'm wondering if I even need to now?

The spell description of Pierce Magic is more detailed, saying target loses 1% of magic resistance per level of the caster (vs a flat 20% of the wand) and removes one spell protection of 8th level or lower (wand doesn't list a level limit). Other than the percent difference, are the two the same? Does it work on liches?

Recharging the wand is cheap, which is a plus, but not being a spell means no triggers or Improved Alacrity abuse. There are higher spell protection removing spells at higher levels I could pick if I really need to.

What do you think?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The Wand of Spell Striking is a powerful resource. This wand replicates the effects of the Breach or Pierce Magic spells, exactly, without any difference. So this wand will help you to safe spell slots for other spells when soloing.

It is not treated as a 5th level spell, so it should work on Liches and Rakshasas.

Also, Breaching charges from The Wand of Spell Striking should penetrate though the Improved Invisibility.

Check http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31031/wand-of-spell-striking for other information about this wonderful wand.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Also, the Wand of Spell Striking will lower more magic resistance than your mage's Pierce Magic will, until level 20. The Pierce Magic spell at your level will only lower 12% MR, but will max out at 20% at level 20. So the wand has the advantage in lowering MR.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    But I still can not imagine a proper sorcerer without the breach spell. It is mandatory for being a serious spellcaster in bg2, IMHO. Pierce magic can be subsituted by many other spells, but breach is golden.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2015
    bengoshi said:

It is not treated as a 5th level spell, so it should work on Liches and Rakshasas.

Actually it is treated like a level 5 spell in BG2EE :)

(well as far as liches and Rakshasas are concerned at least. Its not using any spl files)
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Very informative.
    lunar said:

But I still can not imagine a proper sorcerer without the breach spell. It is mandatory for being a serious spellcaster in bg2, IMHO. Pierce magic can be subsituted by many other spells, but breach is golden.

Other than for my summons, would a solo sorc really benefit much from using Breach? I was thinking of picking it later (level 15 or 28) if I'm using it all the time just to avoid the hassle of always charging it.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    For a solo sorc, I would think removing spell protections would be more important than removing combat protections. That said, I would also recommend making use of summons as a solo sorc, so Breach could be quite handy.