Skip to content

Are only daggers usable as backstabable weapons?

Just thinking about whether or not to keep or sell daggers.

Although not really going to have a THIEF in party other than Hexxat.

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited June 2015
    I believe any melee thief weapon can be used. Those being daggers, short swords, long swords, and staffs.

Did I miss a weapon? Can't remember.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Also scimitars, wakizashis, ninja-tos, katanas, clubs, some magical weapons when shapeshifted (you can backstab as an Iron Golem, for instance), and I believe also your fists.

If you have Item Revisions, you can backstab with any weapon, even ranged weapons, though most weapons, even normal thief weapons, get pretty severe backstab penalties.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

If you have Item Revisions, you can backstab with any weapon, even ranged weapons

Now you just need a ballista :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZeTAfYoY4
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452

Also scimitars, wakizashis, ninja-tos, katanas, clubs....

However some specific ones do not seem to work for me, such as the scarlet ninja-to (for monks only, but usable when thief gets Use Any Item ability)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Yup. SCT can't backstab. Neither can Valygar's sword, even though backstabbing is his kit's whole concept.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    You can backstab with any melee weapon a single class thief could equip without UAI. For example, thieves can equip staves and they can backstab with staff of the ram but a mage thief, even though his class allows him to equip Staff of the magi without UAI cannot backstab with staff of the magi, for it is a mage weapon, and a single class thief would not be able to equip it without UAI
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You not only can backstab with the Staff of the Ram, it's arguably even the best weapon in the game to do it with. The extremely high static damage modifier gets multiplied by backstab, resulting in truly epic numbers when it hits (let alone critically hits).

But as @Arunsun said, the best rule to go with is "can a single class thief use this weapon (without UAI)?" if the answer is "yes", then you can backstab with it. Of course, you can only ever backstab with MELEE weapons, so no bows, crossbows, etc.