Skip to content

Are Caveliers Strictly Better Paladins?

LohengrammLohengramm Member Posts: 16
I get that they lose access to ranged weapons, but, if they are intended as one of my 2 main tanks does that matter at all?

Is that really the only drawback they suffer compared to vanilla Paladins?

Follow up question: How hard is it to get +1 strength from gear or level ups? Do you ever get stat ups from level ups?

The point being to get to 19 Str and not have to worry about not rolling 18/90+ ;o

Comments

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited June 2015
    Not really, though since the cavalier can cast spells, you can just buff yourself with DUHM once you can cast 2nd level spells (I forget when that is though since IWD gives spellcasting to pallies and rangers much earlier then they're supposed to get it normally). Gives +1 to str/dex/con per.....3 levels I think??? Capping around +6 at 18.

And any throwing weapon with a melee mode is usable by cavaliers, so you aren't even denied all ranged options.
  • LohengrammLohengramm Member Posts: 16

Not really, though since the cavalier can cast spells, you can just buff yourself with DUHM once you can cast 2nd level spells (I forget when that is though since IWD gives spellcasting to pallies and rangers much earlier then they're supposed to get it normally). Gives +1 to str/dex/con per.....3 levels I think??? Capping around +6 at 18.

And any throwing weapon with a melee mode is usable by cavaliers, so you aren't even denied all ranged options.

So they're both essentially just a better Paladin and can self buff themselves to 24 Strength? Wow.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    In the case of Icewind Dale, I'd say any kit is better than the average paladin. Cavaliers' bonuses against demons and dragons is not the most useful, but comes in handy with some of the harder enemies. Inquisitors can be a bit overkill, considering the way spellcasters work with defenses in Icewind Dale (Dispel Magic being one of the only mage disabling spells in vanilla) and Undead Hunters will use their bonuses the most. Choosing a plain paladin is probably a bad idea, IMO.

And Undead Hunters can get the DUHM bonus too, so that's also an option. Inquisitors, obviously, cannot.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

In the case of Icewind Dale, I'd say any kit is better than the average paladin. Cavaliers' bonuses against demons and dragons is not the most useful, but comes in handy with some of the harder enemies. Inquisitors can be a bit overkill, considering the way spellcasters work with defenses in Icewind Dale (Dispel Magic being one of the only mage disabling spells in vanilla) and Undead Hunters will use their bonuses the most. Choosing a plain paladin is probably a bad idea, IMO.

And Undead Hunters can get the DUHM bonus too, so that's also an option. Inquisitors, obviously, cannot.

Inquisitors are worse than a vanilla paladin in IWD. Undead Hunter and Cavalier are both very strong choices. In IWD you can't bypass the ranged weapon restriction with thrown weapons but you can cast Spiritual Hammer if you know you're doing a ranged fight later in the game.

Overall I couldn't even say whether Undead Hunter or Cavalier is stronger given the breadth of the game and identical spells which is the strongesterk of being a Paladin.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    All of the paladin kits are better than a vanilla paladin, hands down.

Also strength items are plentiful. In the dwarf run I just finished, my two defenders, fighter/cleric and fighter/thief had str19 and my berserker and fighter/mage had 18/00.

There is one girdle, some nice shields and gauntlets that all improve strength.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Wowo said:

Inquisitors are worse than a vanilla paladin in IWD. Undead Hunter and Cavalier are both very strong choices.

Yeah, I was worried I was making a statement that was more assumption than actual experience. Are they just not useful?
    elminster said:

The hold and charm immunity probably doesn't hurt. But the problem with them is more loss of priest spells and the fact that for Clerics and Mages Dispel Magic always dispels in IWD (compared to BG where whether or not your dispel succeeds is influenced by level differences).

This.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I disagree with those people saying vanilla paladin is worse than the kits. In fact, I'd actually argue that vanilla is better than any of the kits with the possible exception of undead hunter.

Inquisitor suffers badly in IWD for reasons already stated in this thread.

IMO, cavalier is made a bit redundant by the fact that all paladins now get immunity to fear, and the inability to use ranged weapons is felt much more strongly in a game where hoards of enemies are being tossed at you from all directions - though if you have a couple of exceptional sharpshooters in your party already, you can probably get away with at least one character not being able to use ranged weapons.

Vanilla vs. undead hunter is really a question of defense vs. offense IMO - do you prefer someone who can heal instantly and save you from having to use potions or cleric spells, or would you rather have someone who does extra damage during the intermittent battles with undead?
    @ SharGuidesMyHand

So you think it is that important to be able to use ranged weapons even on a main tank? I was going to go Sword + Board on them w/ the special Paladin long sword you get later on. What kind of ranged weapon would you give them?

What kind of ranged weapon would you give each class?

I'm using an Elf Archer w/ Longbows and I have an Assassin I was planning to also use up close and personal with 3E Sneak Attacks.
    Funny how we all forget to mention Blackguard.
    Well I figured I'd try an evil party some other time, be goody goods the first go.
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183

@ SharGuidesMyHand

So you think it is that important to be able to use ranged weapons even on a main tank? I was going to go Sword + Board on them w/ the special Paladin long sword you get later on. What kind of ranged weapon would you give them?

I'm using an Elf Archer w/ Longbows and I have an Assassin I was planning to also use up close and personal with 3E Sneak Attacks.

For the Paladins I've used, I've found that Throwing Axes aren't bad. Once you get to the end of Dragon's Eye and get the boomeraxe, you don't have to worry about buying ammo anymore.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

@ SharGuidesMyHand

Speaking personally, I like to have as many of my party members as possible using ranged weapons - in IWD, you're constantly getting attacked by all sorts of enemies from all different directions, and it's very convenient for your members (especially your lead ones) to be able to switch between melee and ranged modes as necessary.

But like I said, if everyone else in your party has ranged weapons with one or two standout sharpshooters, you can probably get away with at least one member not using ranged weapons.

If you do decide to create a vanilla paladin tank, I would recommend using one-handed melee and ranged weapons (like a long sword and a sling), so that you can also carry a shield. You'll want your lead-most tank(s) to carry shields - save the two-handed weapons for your archers, flankers, and sneak-attackers.
  • Nothing_to_see_hereNothing_to_see_here Member Posts: 31

I was going to go Sword + Board on them w/ the special Paladin long sword you get later on.

If you are talking about that sword you can get from that surprise under ground (trying to stay clear of spoilers), I'm not sure it's there anymore. I couldn't find it at least.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

If you are talking about that sword you can get from that surprise under ground (trying to stay clear of spoilers), I'm not sure it's there anymore. I couldn't find it at least.

It's there, but there are certain prerequisites before the thing happens.

As for the debate, it's almost a wash. There is an argument to be made for ranged weapons, but personally I find that you quickly reach a point where it's problematic to maintain ammo on everyone. Also you can tank exceedingly well in IWD, meaning melees are actually fairly safe. Then there's the fact that there are several very good melee weapons, including the aforementioned Paladin-only one. All that considered, I personally find either Cavalier or Undead Hunter to be better overall than an unkitted Paladin; but by a fairly small margin. Small enough, in fact, that personal preference can push it either way.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The way I see it is, perhaps the ranged weapons that cavaliers can't use aren't that good and maybe cavaliers are overall better than basic paladins. However, as long as basic paladins can do something that cavaliers can't, I have a hard time seeing cavaliers as strictly better. I define "strictly better" as "better in every way," not just "better overall."
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's a mistake to deem any of the kits distinctly better than the others. The drawbacks are about equal to the bonuses in all cases.

Cavaliers have nice resistances, but lose access to ranged weapons, which are terribly powerful in IWD. Undead Hunters have great combat bonuses, but are made more vulnerable by the absence of Lay on Hands (healing potions aren't quite as strong or plentiful in IWD as they are in BG2 or IWD2). Inquisitors are strong as always, but IWD has so few mages that the Dispel Magic ability, however strong, doesn't get as many places to shine. Poison Weapon is terribly powerful, but a lot of IWD critters are undead and therefore immune.

Missile weapons, Lay on Hands, paladin spells, bonus THAC0 and damage vs. undead, and Dispel Magic all have good uses throughout Icewind Dale.

Also note that paladin spells are cast at 8 levels below their actual level, so Armor of Faith and DUHM won't be as strong as a cleric's. Plus, in IWD, a +1 bonus to STR won't get you from 18 to 19 like it does in the other IE games: it will only get you from 18 to 18/01, or 18/00 to 19. A level 18 Paladin is not going to have 24 STR by casting DUHM. He or she will more likely have 19, assuming he or she has a base STR of 18/51 to 18/75 (roughly the average for a high roll in my experience).
  • solomonhumesolomonhume Member Posts: 10

Correction: DUHM is capped at +6 for BG2, because caster level is capped at 20. There is no such cap in IWD. You can get +7 at level 21. ( I never have a chance to test if I can get better, because +7 get me to the hard cap of 25, but there is no reason not so)
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Blackgaurd is simply better
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    T2av said:

Sure that's true for BG, but in Icewind I don't know if I would take a Blackguard over a Cavelier. Poison weapon is really good at screwing over mages and there are hardly any mages in icewind. It's the same reason that Cavelier is better that Inquisitor in IWD.

Blackquard is still a solid choice, but you would lose out on the Paladin specific dialogue or at least you should lose the paladin specific dialogue.

Meh I think it's a fair pick between Blackguard, Cavelier and Undead Hunter for IWD. I would probably lean toward Undead Hunter myself.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202

T2av said:

Sure that's true for BG, but in Icewind I don't know if I would take a Blackguard over a Cavelier. Poison weapon is really good at screwing over mages and there are hardly any mages in icewind. It's the same reason that Cavelier is better that Inquisitor in IWD.

Blackquard is still a solid choice, but you would lose out on the Paladin specific dialogue or at least you should lose the paladin specific dialogue.

Meh I think it's a fair pick between Blackguard, Cavelier and Undead Hunter for IWD. I would probably lean toward Undead Hunter myself.
    As a Blackgaurd you will never fall & poison still tears up alot of stuff. While bringing hordes of undead under your control to send after your enemies; or have them fight amongst themselves for enjoyment.

I guess it comes down to how you want to play. I'm neutral Evil type player, while you or whomever maybe like a pious “I'll save thou" type.