Skip to content

Baldurs Gate 2 - Best item for each proficiency and what chapter its in (no plot spoilers plz)

Hello I have never played D and D or BG2. I had a super hard time in BG1 cause you choose a "proficiency" like bastard sword but then there was no good Bastard swords anywhere.

I really want to pick a good proficiency this time cause I couldnt use anything in bg1 and it was annoying.

I know there's a sweet 2h sword but dont u have to be chaotic evil to get it?

again no major spoilers just list the best item for each proficiency u can think of so I know which is best to pick as a new player needing an easier time (I bet all of us together can come up with a helpful list)

p.s. I wanna get this run through done so I can replay bg1 and get my party ready for seige of dragonspear (oh my god right ? where were these games when I was a kid my parents didnt let me use computers or the internet)

Comments

• doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    You want to give your fighters pips in swords. Preferably two handed but long swords too. Don't forget two handed weapon style and the others depending on your other choices.

There is a awesome sword for paladins. If you don't play one yourself someone else can wield it. You will meet that someone in BG 2.

I would definitely not put pips in bastard swords in either game. You have already found the lacking of good ones.

In my d&d world dwarfs only carries axes by the way. Yes I am prejudiced against dwarfs with swords. Just doesn't add up in my narrow world.

For your mage choose quarterstaff. Because twisted rune.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    As Watcher's Keep is available from Chapter 2 but too hard to complete at that moment I'll just say "watcher's Keep". By the way all of the Watcher's Keep weapon can be improved with special components once you are in Throne of Bhaal, and only then they become far stronger than about all other weapon. Before that they are just decent/good weapons. Chapter 8 to 10 are in Throne of Bhaal

Battle axe: Axe of the Unyielding, Watcher's Keep
    Club: Club of detonation, Watcher's Keep
    Mace: Storm Star, Watcher's Keep
    Quarterstaff: Staff of the Ram , watcher's Keep, or Staff of the Magi if playing as a mage, chapter 2 (tough fight)
    Warhammer: Crom Faeyr, chapter 6, or Runehammer, chapter 8
    Bastard sword: Foebane, Watcher's Keep , Purifier (paladin only)
    Long Sword: Angurvadal, Watcher's Keep, Black Razor, chapter 7
    Scimitar: Spectral Brand, Watcher's Keep
    Two handed sword: Gram the sword of Grief, chapter 9, Silver sword, chapter 6, Carsomyr (paladin only), chapter 2, Unholy Reaver (blackguard only) , Watcher's Keep
    Halberd: The Ravager, chapter 8
    Spear: Ixil's Spike, Watcher's Keep, The Impaler, Chapter 4
    Dagger: Dagger of the Stars, Watcher's Keep
    Short Sword: Short Sword of Mask, chapter 2
    Flail: Flail of Ages, chapter 2
    Longbow: Taralash, Watcher's Keep
    Short bow: Short bow of Gesen, chapter 6
    Crossbow: Firetooth, chapter 2
    Sling: Sling of Everad, chapter 2, Erinne Sling, Watcher's Keep

All of the watcher's keep item are rather hard (Impossible for a casual player, though powergamer might work something out) to get chapter two except foebane which you can get fairly easily (first floor of the watcher's keep)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I had a super hard time in BG1 cause you choose a "proficiency" like bastard sword but then there was no good Bastard swords anywhere.

That's not true, there are a couple of decent Bastard Swords in BG1ee. However, the best one (which is actually one of the very best weapons in the game) is
    called Albruin +1, which is available only by completing Dorn's quest, and therefore is
    easy to miss.

Furthermore, there's a particularly difficult opponent who is
    called Karoug, who is immune to most weapons, but not immune to Albruin +1 or Kondar +1, which are both Bastard Swords, and therefore he is
    much easier to beat with Bastard Sword proficiency.

Therefore I recommend that Bastard Sword is actually a very good proficiency to have in a BG1ee party, but only for one party member and only if you know where to find the right weapon(s).

I really want to pick a good proficiency this time cause I couldnt use anything in bg1 and it was annoying.

There are lots of good weapons in BG2ee, far more than in BG1ee. You can eventually find a pretty good weapon in almost any category, although some are definitely more plentiful than others.

Good Clubs and good Katanas both exist, but only a couple of good ones in each of those categories, and neither offers a weapon which is still really good when you reach the end-game, so you might want to avoid both of those proficiencies until you know what you're looking for. Any other category, I reckon you'll find a fairly decent weapon quite quickly, and a terrific weapon eventually. (Incidentally, for the avoidance of doubt, that includes Bastard Swords - there are good ones available, and eventually there's a couple of terrific ones.)

I know there's a sweet 2h sword but dont u have to be chaotic evil to get it?

There are several very good 2H swords in BG2ee, including one which you can find early in Chapter 2. There are none which specifically require Chaotic Evil, but there are a couple which require being Evil (not necessarily Chaotic) ... on the other hand, the best of all is one which requires being a Paladin (and therefore Lawful Good). But there are also other good ones which have no alignment restrictions.

again no major spoilers just list the best item for each proficiency u can think of so I know which is best to pick as a new player needing an easier time (I bet all of us together can come up with a helpful list)

You haven't said what class your character is! That makes a great difference to what weapon is most suitable.

In general, however, it's probably fair to say that there's a wider variety of interesting Long Swords than any other category, and several very good Axes as well. Choose either Long Sword or Axe, and you'll never have much trouble finding a fine weapon. However, you will also want someone in your party who is good with blunt weapons, because numerous enemies are resistant (and in some cases outright immune) to sharp weapons.

p.s. I wanna get this run through done so I can replay bg1 and get my party ready for seige of dragonspear

It'll take a while. Be aware that BG2ee is a significantly longer game than BG1ee ... YMMV, but IMO about double the length.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2015
    Personally, I don't like doing Watcher's Keep before Throne of Bhaal, so I'll give a version of Arunsun's list with the Watcher's Keep items replaced by their pre-expansion counterparts. Use whichever you prefer.

Note that a couple of these (axes in particular) have several roughly equal options. In such cases, I'm listing the easiest ones to find. Also note, however, that a lot of the chapter 2 items are extremely spread out, and you might not find them that early.

Battle axe: Stonefire, chapter 2
    Club: Gnasher, chapter 2
    Mace: Mace of Disruption (upgraded), chapter 2
    Quarterstaff: Staff of Rynn, chapter 2, or Staff of the Magi (mage/sorcerer only), chapter 2
    Warhammer: Crom Faeyr, chapter 6
    Bastard sword: Jhor the Bleeder, chapter 5
    Long Sword: Daystar, chapter 2
    Scimitar: Belm, chapter 2
    Two handed sword: Silver sword, chapter 6, or Carsomyr (paladin only), chapter 2
    Halberd: Dragon's Breath, chapter 5
    Spear: The Impaler, chapter 4
    Dagger: Pixie Prick, chapter 2
    Short Sword: Cutthroat, chapter 6
    Flail: Flail of Ages, chapter 2
    Longbow: Heartseeker, chapter 2, or Strong Arm (19 strength required), chapter 2
    Shortbow: Shortbow of Gesen, chapter 6
    Crossbow: Giant Hair Crossbow, chapter 2
    Sling: Sling of Everad, chapter 2

In Watcher's Keep/Throne of Bhaal, you can find better weapons of most types.
    @Jarrakul you can still buy Short Sword of Mask and Firetooth without actually entering the Watcher's Keep
    I would add Soul Reaver +4 (chapter 5) to your 2H Swords list, and 2 scimitars you can get temporarily (or definitively if you installed BG Tweaks to delete the most annoying character in BG2) in chapter 6
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Best proficiencies are probably Long Sword, Flail, and Short Bow. Most swords are Long Swords. One of the best Flails (and weapons in general) in the game can be acquired almost right away, as can one of the best Short Bows.

Axes are alright but imo unimpressive. Bastard Swords have a very good sword late in the game, but not much until that. Short Swords are not good, neither are Daggers. Scimitars are mediocre, as are Warhammers until you get the uber-hammer later in the game. Slings can be quite good if you use them right.

Katana is an interesting one. There is one extremely good katana early-ish (depending on how good you are) in the game, which will make mincemeat of most of SoA. However in ToB it's not that good anymore for various reasons (though still usable) and there aren't really any other interesting katana.

2h weapons I am not a huge fan of in general, with the noteable exception of the paladin Badassinator. This is a ludicrously OP weapon that skilled players can acquire fairly early. Still, requires a Paladin or a rogue with Use Any Item.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The simple answer is flails, the Flail of Ages, Chapter 2.

Put a couple pips in flails and go talk to the girl named Nalia in the Copper Coronet. You'll end up with a solid +3 weapon that you will find useful in almost every situation, all the way to the end of Throne of Bhaal. There are other weapons you might like, but you'll never kick yourself for choosing the Flail of Ages.
    Not to mention that the fully upgraded FoA+5 is arguably the best weapon in the game (assuming you circumvent the FA for Haste benefit). Even FoA+3 is already VERY good and better than most of the SoA weapons, even late ones.
    @Lord_Tansheron if he completes at least the first floor of the Watcher's Keep which is not that hard even with a low level party, he can get Foebane+3 right away and even if it is not the best SoA weapon, it is still a very decent one you can keep for the entire game and upgrade as soon as you are in ToB into a top-3 weapon (it is IMO the very best weapon but some disagree). Bastard swords are, thanks to this sword, not such a bad proficiency.
    @Arunsun Pretty sure that while Foebane is absolutely a very good weapon, it deals both less damage than FoA, and lacks a relevant special effect (FoA has a no-save slow on hit which is VERY good). Not to mention FoA is also a blunt weapon, the best weapon type.

Anyway, it's absolutely feasible to go to WK quickly for Foebane (I do it regularly). However, players that aren't that well-versed in the game may find even the first level difficult if they go there too early. FoA on the other hand is very easy to get, even for a starting party.

All that being said, you can very well just go for BOTH. You do after all tend to have multiple party members, who can use multiple weapons ;)
    @Lord_Tansheron I totally agree with you about the fact that Foebane is less strong than FoA (at least when comparing +3 versions) but I just meant that bastard swords are not THAT bad as a proficiency.
    Why all this disdain for Bastard Swords? You can get Kondar at the beginning of Chapter 2, and that's good enough to keep your character useful in the early stages. Once you get to Chapter 5, you can find both Jhor the Bleeder and the Blade of Searing, which are quite decent mid-game weapons. Then in WK you soon find Foebane, which is already decent when you first find it and upgrades to a terrific end-game weapon in ToB, and (if you are, or have, a Paladin) there's also the Purifier in WK, which also upgrades into a terrific end-game weapon for ToB.

Bastard Sword is a perfectly good weapon option. I'd think carefully before having two members of the same party both relying on finding good Bastard Swords, but for one member it's no problem. The only NPCs who come with this proficiency already chosen are Keldorn and Dorn (and not even either of them if you recruit them early, before they hit level 9), so your protagonist can often arrange to have no competition for the use of what Bastard Swords there are.

Truly, the only weapon proficiencies in BG2ee against which I'd warn a new player are Clubs and Katanas. In every other category, you'll soon enough find yourself a good weapon for each phase of the game.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2015
    I read all the replies thank you. I have a fighter/thief Dual Classed thief 7/ fighter 8 with two-weapon style
    this has opened up the game to me a little more.
    I've had a hard time letting a single weapon go unused. Like if i get a better magic weapon from another category I am so worried if I cant use it. Seems like I can relax a little more than I was.
    do i have to use 2 daggers to backstab?

Why all this disdain for Bastard Swords?

As with axes, the category isn't bad per se, it's just that there are so many better alternatives. Every one of those weapons you mentioned is quite alright, but there is usually an alternative at the respective point in the game that is simply better, and often the options are more plentiful in general. If you have better options, why wouldn't you go there? Unless it's for personal reasons, which of course is perfectly alright and trumps raw efficiency anyway.

Of course, simply going for bastard with the expressed intent of simply rushing to Foebane is a perfectly valid reason. Same goes for katana and Celestial Fury, another category with one stellar weapon and a whole lot of unimpressive meh...

Note: if you want some more balanced weapon variety (and more weapon balance in general) I can greatly recommend the Item Revisions mod. It does a good job at homogenizing weapon choices a bit more so you have a better selection at various points in the game, and it also tones down some of the admittedly ludicrously powerful weapons like FoA and Carsomyr.

As with axes, the category isn't bad per se, it's just that there are so many better alternatives.

I can't agree about Axes either. Not only are there excellent Axes available early which are still good all the way through SoA - think Azuredge, Stonefire, Frostreaver - but then in ToB you've got the upgraded Axe of the Unyielding, a vorpal blade with other benefits on top (and without the crippling Free Action nerf suffered by the Flail of Ages!), one of the very best weapons in the game. Axes are one of the best proficiencies for both abundance and excellence, especially when dual-wielding.

do i have to use 2 daggers to backstab?

No. You can back-stab with any melee weapon which a single-class Thief can use. (And you only need one of whatever-it-is, having a weapon in each hand is actually a disadvantage when you're trying to back-stab.)
    @Gallowglass Azuredge I'll give you, since it's supremely useful to the point of cheese. The rest though? What would I need a vorpal axe for? Aren't all the relevant enemies immune anyway? I mean sure you can vorpal through random stuff, but when has that ever been a threat. And against everything that IS a threat, you do less damage than with alternatives. Can't remember exactly how it is in the unmodded game, but iirc AotU isn't even in the top5 for raw damage output (more like 7-8th or something? tied with lots of generic 1d8+5 stuff). Considering you get it midway through ToB, I remain utterly unconvinced.

Anyway, we better not derail this discussion too far...
    @Lord_Tansheron: "Aren't all the relevant enemies immune anyway?"

No.

Sendai and the Ravager are immune to vorpal hits. So are ToB dragons. But Balors and Ka'rashur are vulnerable.

So are liches and beholders and mind flayers.

And giants and golems and drow.

And demons and mages. And almost everything else.

The critters that a vorpal strike will take down are not just mephits and gibberlings. They also include some of the most ridiculously powerful monsters in the saga.

There aren't any truly bad weapon types. Every weapon type has at least one marvelous pre-ToB option. And most of those weapons can be found as early as Chapter 2.

Well, except longbows.

Longbows really do suck.
    @semiticgod I know those types are vulnerable, but where do you actually face them after you get the axe? And are they any threat at all at that point? Most of the difficult ToB encounters are boss fights; lots of them. Against those I'd rather have a damaging weapon than a vorpal one.

"Bad" of course is a relative term. It's not a matter of absolutes, only of relative power values. Lots of contingencies, lots of variables. Not so much "this weapon type is bad" but rather "this other type is better".

Except longbows.
    @Lord_Tansheron: I meant vorpal strikes in general; I didn't mention the Axe of the Unyielding. The Silver Sword would be an example, or a Planetar's vorpal strikes. The Axe of the Unyielding is strong, but its late arrival means almost all of its power is wasted.

@semiticgod I know those types are vulnerable, but where do you actually face them after you get the axe?

You need to defeat Yaga-Shura's army at the Siege Camp as soon as you get the Axe. Then Sendai's Enclave is stuffed full of hundreds of enemies. Then there are quite a few in Abazigal's Lair too. And then there are the hordes of Balthazar's mercenaries to defeat when you get back to Amkethran. All in all, a lot of enemies to mow down, and all except the bosses are vulnerable to vorpal hits.

And are they any threat at all at that point?

Well heck yes, @Lord_Tansheron, any of them can kill you if you're careless.

For example, Balthazar's mercenaries are pretty tough and they keep on coming for a long time, you have to kill loads before they give up. They can be quite a serious threat if your AC is even slightly dodgy (who the heck ever said that AC "doesn't matter" in ToB?), but the vorpal axe carves through them pretty efficiently. The vorpal axe is highly effective in most other places mentioned above too, such as Sendai's Enclave. (And unlike the FoA, it doesn't have that terrible Free Action nerf to block IH ... yes, I know there's an exploit to dodge the nerf, but that's cheating in my book.)

Most of the difficult ToB encounters are boss fights; lots of them. Against those I'd rather have a damaging weapon than a vorpal one.

I'm typically dual-wielding the AotU with CF in the off-hand, which makes the Axe pretty damaging. Yes, 25 STR makes any melee weapon pretty damaging, but there's not much better than the Axe. When I need blunt (or negative plane protection), I'll switch to Runehammer (since I've already got Hammer proficiencies for CF). (Note that since I don't cheat my way around the Free Action on FoA, that'd be a dumb choice for end-game dual-wielding blunt.) Sometimes Foebane can be better, but that depends who we're fighting. And the Axe isn't just vorpal, it's +1 CON and +1 AC and +1 HP/round, all of which add up to a useful bonus to durability in long end-game battles. I reckon you're seriously under-estimating what a good weapon it is.
    edited July 2015

there's not much better than the Axe.

I guess we figured out where the issue lies. There are in fact several weapons more damaging than the axe, that you have access to at that point. You mentioned Foebane being "sometimes" better - that's just wrong. Foebane already has a base damage of 2d4+5 not counting any extras (like the life drain), which is more damage than the 1d8+5 of the axe. Crom Faeyr has 2d4+3+5, not counting the STR bonus. Angurvadal has 1d8+4+1 un-upgraded, a LOT more upgraded. Etc.

I suppose the one concession I could make to the Axe is Nightmare Mode. Given the higher HP of everything, the axe could translate into enough added virtual damage via vorpal hits that it would be worth using. I say that with some reservations though, as extra HP on bosses also means that more damage against them is more valuable, too.

Perhaps it all comes down to how difficult you find hordes of trash mobs. Personally I've always just more or less plowed through them semi-afk. The Yaga-Shura camp or Balthazar's mercenaries have never really been a challenge, nor have the trash mobs in places like Sendai's Enclave or Abazigal's Lair. YMMV on that I suppose, and if you find it more difficult to get through that, then the axe would increase in value.

OT: does anyone know of a decent database for all the weapon stats in some easily readable form? I used to have a spreadsheet comparing the average damage values of all available weapons, but now that's tainted by my extensive modding and doesn't really work for most vanilla-based discussions.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    In the case of AotU, I find the defensive bonuses much more valuable than the vorpal hits. I like to stack regen-items to a single character, and that makes AotU the most valuable weapon in the game for me along with Foebane. Mainhand Foebane, offhand AotU, Rings of Regen and Gaxx, Wong Fei's Ioun Stone and Silver Dragon Armor. Not to mention regen provided by increased CON.
    I understand that multiple regeneration items don't stack if they aren't equivalent. AotU heals 1 HP per 2 seconds, while the Ring of the Gaxx heals 1 HP per 3, and so they don't stack. Two Rings of Regeneration will stack, however.
    I never really found regeneration to be useful. If you've got way over 100 HP, healing 1 HP every 2 seconds isn't spectacular. Doubly so when there is high damage flying around all the time, that you need to deal with by either avoiding it (making regeneration fairly useless) or by healing it up quickly before you get hit again (no 30 second pauses between hits usually to get back the HP).
    @Lord_Tansheron: actually, when playing a tank (barbarian or paladin) with hardiness and defender of easthaven, in the end, healing 2HP per round is much like healing half the damage you re dealt.
    But if you're dealt that little damage, wouldn't it be better to go more for more offense? You can afford it.
    Generally, defensive bonuses give exponential benefits up until immunity. The difference between 25% resistance and 50% resistance is greater than the difference between 0% and 25%, but damage resistance above 100% won't heal you in EE, and even in vanilla it won't give more than your maximum HP.

Damage bonuses give linear benefits. A 50% increase in the damage you deal is equal to a 50% reduction in the damage you take. But damage bonuses are set as integers rather than percent increases or decreases. You get a +5 to damage, not a +25% to damage, and so stacking damage bonuses gives linear benefits.

It's different in 3E, when resistance is replaced by DR, and the damage you take and deal is modified in a linear fashion, but in 2E at least, defensive bonuses give more benefits than offensive ones. Your character is better off dealing 10 damage per round for 100 rounds (thanks to high resistances) than 20 damage per round for 10 rounds (thanks to high damage bonuses).

But Hardiness doesn't last forever, so the offensive option during Hardiness has less opportunity cost. If you don't have Hardiness active, Defender of Easthaven is probably stronger than Namarra. But if you do have Hardiness active, it's better to hold onto your best offensive option, since maximizing your defenses will only last so long.
    Unless I am mistaken Hardiness last 1 round per 2 level, which means 1 to 2 turns which is quite long, and with 3 or 4 hardiness you can probably be under permanent hardiness for any fight in the game. By the way, it is true indeed that as damage are taken as integers it is useless to get very high damage resistance if you can't get 100%. A blow dealing ten theorical damage will deal two to both a 80 and a 85% damage reduction even though the latter should suffer 1.5.
    Stacking defense higher than 80% is irrelevant indeed considering how low an amount of damage that will allow you to tank.
    Just to be clear though, I'm not talking about diminishing returns on defensive stats, but rather about simply not caring past the point of not dying, and going for offense instead. Of course the definition of "not dying" is negotiable - but it has always been my philosophy to do the minimum necessary in terms of defense, and maximize the offense past that. That includes room for variance, naturally.

Anyway, we are drifting off topic here.