Skip to content

Petition for Dual Class and Multiclass Shaman

13»

Comments

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2015
    I don't thnk it would take anywhere near 6 months to add Dual Class and Multiclass options. But yes developers will prioritize as they may. The problem is that post release features are unlikely.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Why would anyone vote against this.

because i couldn't live with the sorcerer being unable to multi. it'd just look ugly. either both or nothing.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    billbisco said:

I don't thnk it would take anywhere near 6 months to add Dual Class and Multiclass options. But yes developers will prioritize as they may. The problem is that post release features are unlikely.

Beamdog has proven is willingness to listen to the forum. The patchnotes are not only about bugfixes..
    So yeah, I believe feature requests are actually better suited for the post-release time ^^

Also, i think not *every* class has to be multi-able. The (official) goal of Baldurs Gate is to enjoy the ride,
    (the areas, the battle, the banter, the story) and *not* to create the ultimate munchkin.
    Dual-classing has create monsters. Monstrous characters that can easily play through the entire saga solo.
    A saga of actually difficulty games that is balanced for a group.
    We don't need more of that imho.
    And this actually has made me vote after all ^^
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    @Arcanis Even if Beamdog chose to implement a feature post release, they would want to plan for that pre-release. It makes no sense to wait to make requests.

You can solo the game as any class. Multi and Dual classes have never been necessary to solo.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    billbisco said:

@Arcanis Even if Beamdog chose to implement a feature post release, they would want to plan for that pre-release. It makes no sense to wait to make requests.

You can solo the game as any class. Multi and Dual classes have never been necessary to solo.

It makes sense. I'm no programmer, but If I'm in the finishing stage of a paper I would be more than
    annoyed if I would be getting ideas to expand on it, because my mind is busy finishing the paper.
    give me the ideas earlier (if I ask) or after I'm done sorting and proofreading and stuff.
    (Also, I would prefer it if people read my paper first, before giving me ideas, looking at single pages and
    the table of contents is not nearly enough).

So, ideas are fine for the concept stage and improvements can be named after testing the game.

Also, I know that you can play through the game with everyone class solo, I was refering to it being easy.
    Then again, I'm constantly baffled by everyone who plays the game solo/with custom group.
    it may be understandable for BG1 but BG2 *lives* from the banter. It is a Bioware game and -in my
    opinion- Biowares strength always was in their characters, so for me you would weaken BG2 with
    cutting out the other party members.
    And yes, I think Beamdog can follow this trend.. (though I have higher hopes for the overall narrative.)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    billbisco said:

I didn't say it would take 6 months to implement just multi-class shamans. I specifically said "and other posted petitions".

Why are post-release features unlikely? We've gotten plenty of post-release features in BGEE and BG2EE so far (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34086/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-update-v1-3-2053/p1). The SoD engine update will bring even more post-release features to BGEE and BG2EE (and maybe IWDEE in the future).

As long as SoD sells well, I don't see this as the swan song of the Infinity Engine.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Make it possible to mod, so everybody can be happy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

That would actually be more work. Multi and dual classes are treated as separate classes by the Infinity Engine (e.g., FIGHTER_THIEF is a class). So, that would require externalizing class definitions.

I'm not against such an externalization in principle, but if It's not in development for SoD already, then it's a feature that should wait until after the release.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

That would actually be more work. Multi and dual classes are treated as separate classes by the Infinity Engine (e.g., FIGHTER_THIEF is a class). So, that would require externalizing class definitions.

I'm not against such an externalization in principle, but if It's not in development for SoD already, then it's a feature that should wait until after the release.
    Maybe, though it is noteworthy that there is already a "FIGHTER_DRUID" entry in class.ids. It depends partly on wherever there is a separate SHAMAN entry, like the sorcerer, or if it's just counted as a druid kit, like the barbarian counts as a fighter kit.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Maybe, though it is noteworthy that there is already a "FIGHTER_DRUID" entry in class.ids. It depends partly on wherever there is a separate SHAMAN entry, like the sorcerer, or if it's just counted as a druid kit, like the barbarian counts as a fighter kit.
    Given that the screenshots show a unique Shaman UI, with toggle buttons for summoning and find traps, we can deduce that it isn't implemented as a druid kit. Ergo each SHAMAN_ multi would have to be implemented as a new class.

Unless they went back to basics an implemented a more flexable multi-classing system, similar to IWD2, which would certainly be a welcome addition, but would add a lot more than six months to the development time.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Fardragon said:

Unless they went back to basics an implemented a more flexable multi-classing system, similar to IWD2, which would certainly be a welcome addition, but would add a lot more than six months to the development time.

Well, even if that were viable, I think it would go against what Beamdog has been doing with the BG games so far. As Trent Oster likes to point out in presentations and interviews, showing respect towards the original material is one of their principles. And changing such fundamental rules wouldn't likely fit that mold.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    As a mod? Please bring it. Officialy? No.

Be this possible in PnP or not, the adapt to the PC game isn't on the same terms. A Kensai/shaman would be stupidly strong, same as an Kensai/sorcerer that this community so long wish.

By the way, if now is possible to mod dual class for sorcerers PLZ do it (as mods)!!