Skip to content

Spell memorizing and Journal suggestions

NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
I just wanted to suggest a few tweaks/suggestions if possible:

For one, regarding the new UI for Spells, it seems that when you click on them you get the description and then you have to click on the memorize button to get the spell memorized. Personally, this is a bit slower than it used to be.

I like the idea of the spell names and descriptions showing easily, but I think they should follow the same convention as the spell list on the character creator and show the description when you hover over the spell. That way, both spell lists would work the same and the clicking could be used for memorizing as it was before.

Also, I have a little request that I don't think many people would care much about. When you receive a Quest on the journal, you will get updates and then once the quest is completed, all those updates are overwritten with the quest result entry. From a role-playing stand point this is not good since it overwrites previous entries on the journal, thus losing entries as you complete quests. I know this is the normal behaviour, but it will be nice to have an option to maintain all previous entries so that nothing gets deleted. And since we are on the subject, a printing jorunal to TXT option with all the entries ordered by date (including user entries) would also be great. I'll love to role-play and have a complete jorunal in game that I could write and print to file anytime I wanted.

Finally, adding some character from the expansion to Baldurs Gate 2 would help a lot on maintaining all 3 games joined together. As it is right now, I don't think anyone would mention the events of the expansion, which makes the expansion irrelevant. The character/s don't even need to be party members, just someone that mentions what happened and gets some additional lines from party members that atually were on the expansion would be great.

I really look forward to play this expansion. I have never played Baldur's Gate 2 beyond the first dungeon, and I think this is the best opportunity to replay the first game, play the expansion, and finally play Baldur's Gate 2.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Moved to the Feature Requests section.

Maintaining all previous entries in the journal after the quest is comleted is a good idea.
    Natreg
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I actually tried doing a mod for maintaining the journal entries, but the problem is that just removing the EraseJournalEntry() functions is not enough because after completing a quest, you have a complete quest entry as well as the uncomplete ones, thus quests are not removed from the quest list....

The ideal thing would be to move all quest entries related to a quest to the Done Quests along with the Quest Result maintaining all the dates.

I hope the developers would try do give us an option for this. I'm sure a lot of people would prefer deleting the entries so that the journal is better organized, but maintaining them, specially for role playing reasons, would be a good addition.

JuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Yes, please! The game already has the journal entries grouped by quest in BGEE.SQL. It could automatically close open quests when a "QUEST_DONE" journal entry is added (and shift them all over to the Done Quests section).

This would make modding existing game quests *so* much easier. :smile:
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I checked on it by overriding the conversations on Icewind Dale, and it works perfectly when changing Quests to Done Quests, However, as it works right now, they use the EraseJournalEntry on all the journal entries on the quest itself, thus deleting all those entries even if you don't have them on the journal.

I think the best way would be using some function to check if the entry exists on the journal, and then if it does, just change it's status to Quest Done.

Just deleting the EraseJournalEntries or changing them to done quests is not enough.

I really hope the developers give this a chance.

Also an option to show all entries chronogically, and adding a button to export to txt, pdf or whatever other format would be greatly appreciated.

Having everything organized for quests is great, but sometimes I just want to check things in chronological order.