Skip to content

Help me build a Spellsword!

Hello again!

So I've been browsing threads here and there. There are so many options here, it's hard for a newbie to (even after extensive reading) to come to a solid consensus. I've read up on dual-classing, multi-classing, and the various classes and kits.

I need experienced hands to temper what I have in mind into a solid build. It's my first play through, and I really don't want to begin an endless series of trying out a bunch of different characters.

What I want:
PC who is highly dangerous with a blade and magic. I want to be able to engage my enemies toe to toe, without flinching, or lay down the win with some high-powered magic. I'd love to be able to soften up a room of monsters with spells, then walk in and own with some serious slicing. Bonus if I can use magic to increase my combat effectiveness.

Bottom line is when I run out of magic, or don't have the magic options I need for the situation, or just want to save my spells for later, I want to be able to walk in and own.

How I'll be playing:
I will be using a party, possibly a full one. I've read so much praise for the story and the NPC's personalities, there's no way I'm going to run through this solo. The option to romance was a big selling point for me, and it looks like certain races won't be able to do that.

What I've considered:
I don't believe in showing up and expecting everyone to do the work for me, so this is on the drawing board.

Bard (Blade Kit)
-------------
Appeal: Looks interesting, the spinning abilities seem impressive. He's got a lot of style and flair to him. Very much seems a jack-of-all.
Concerns: Not as effective in melee without spinning, and magic. Spell selection seems narrow, as well as armor.

Druid (Perhaps Avenger?)
---------------------
Appeal: Large selection of spells here. Some real showstoppers, it seems. Changing form into creatures is nifty.
Concerns: Again not so great at melee without magic? Armor and weapon selection is too narrow?

Cleric (Don't know which kit)
-----------------------
Appeal: Fully armored, spells galore, and looks like a decent combatant. Healing is good. This is a strong contender.
Concerns: I'm not sure how it will perform toe to toe without magic. Can't use blades, but you know, bashing something is just as fun.

Ranger (No kit?)
-------------
Appeal: Fully armored if I want, some spell use. Ranged as well as melee. Sneaky too.
Concerns: Doesn't completely fit my concept, as the spells are limited.

Fighter/Mage
-----------
Appeal: This seems to be a spellsword, straight out of the box! He's got it all, lots of spells, and combat ready.
Concerns: I'm going to be in a party, maybe full. Might fall behind in levels and be second banana?

Fighter -> Mage
--------------
Appeal: Same deal. Spellsword.
Concerns: Dualling. You stop getting better as a fighter, so you become more of a wizard who can fight than a true spellsword.

Mage -> Fighter
--------------
Appeal: You continue getting martial prowess through your career.
Concerns: This is lopsided the other way. A warrior who can use some magic, but only some.

So folks, if you have a minutes, weigh in with your opinions please. Do you like an option I've presented, and why, or why not? Is there something even better I haven't considered, to get closer to my concept?

Thanks!

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I would go Fighter/Mage. The way levels are handled here you will be lagging maybe a level or two behind in each class, however you'll have two classes to compensate with.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Blade basically become a beast once you get improved haste. In fact, you can get 6-(8)attack per round (I ll call that APR afterwards) with improved haste and a weapon that increases APR which is quite huge, not to mention a bard will get all the spells he needs to protect himself from about everything, that is to say Spell immunity, Stoneskin and Protection from magical weapon. Not to mention that once you get high level abilities, the Mislead/improved bard song combo is quite insane. Basically he is just a little lower (really not that much) than a warrior in terms of damage output, but he is so much better defensively speaking, and a few damaging spell can always prove useful as well. Another couple of pros you may not know:
    He uses Thief Exp table which is the one that levels up the fastest. Thus his spells will be more powerful than a same exp mage since most of them are based on the caster level. Mostly useful for remove/dispel magic for example.
    As a high level ability he may get Use any item which enable him to use Scarlet Ninja to, the only +1 APR with a +3 enchantment and Gauntlet of extreme specialiazation which give even more APR.
    You can get very early in the game a bard only chainmail which gives you AC 2 and does not prevent you from casting spells
    Blade is overall a pleasure to play and a very strong pick that matches your criteria perfectly

Avenger is basically a caster, not a melee at all. It is just like a mage, with divine spells. You will find that though Shapechange is fun, it becomes useless fairly early in the game.

As a Cleric, surely if you want to play melee go for Priest of Lathander, the extra APR from Lathander's boon is all that you need to be a melee beast with all your strength buffs. You can be an insane tank as well

Ranger is decent as a melee, but so many classes are better than him that I would not pick him. His spellcasting is not very good. Stalker can be decent though, with his backstab to quickly kill an enemy and then deal with the rest of them.

Mage -> Fighter: you may forget that one, no interest at all.

Fighter -> Mage is quite insane since you can get Grandmastery, not to mention that warrior level past the 13th bring very little compared to mage level. Plus you can get a kit. Berzerker is my favourite, but Kensai is good as well and fits well your roleplay concerns. I can assure you that a Fighter-> mage is a melee beast, not just a mage that can fight.

Fighter/Mage seems less interesting than Fighter -> mage in my opinion since fighter high level abilities are not so interesting for a F/M, but it is a good pick as well.

You might as well want to consider a fighter -> Cleric which is very strong as well, or even a Fighter/cleric, which is a little less offensive than the former, but a lot stronger defensively thanks to hardiness. Both are very good picks and will fit your criteria.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595

Bard (Blade Kit)
    -------------
    Appeal: Looks interesting, the spinning abilities seem impressive. He's got a lot of style and flair to him. Very much seems a jack-of-all.
    Concerns: Not as effective in melee without spinning, and magic. Spell selection seems narrow, as well as armor.

Bards stop their spell-progression to lvl 6 spells. This really doesn't really bother with the blade, since all needed combat spells are at lvl 6 or below. On the higher tiers there are spells that are for the archetypical wizard. There are AC bracers that are easily acquired, so the armor part isn't a problem.

Druid (Perhaps Avenger?)
    ---------------------
    Appeal: Large selection of spells here. Some real showstoppers, it seems. Changing form into creatures is nifty.
    Concerns: Again not so great at melee without magic? Armor and weapon selection is too narrow?

Druids are not very good in melee. They are better as backline slingers and spellcasters. Avengers actually trade away their physical attributes to become better spellcasters, and it really does work out. Avenger is the best of the druid kits.

Cleric (Don't know which kit)
    -----------------------
    Appeal: Fully armored, spells galore, and looks like a decent combatant. Healing is good. This is a strong contender.
    Concerns: I'm not sure how it will perform toe to toe without magic. Can't use blades, but you know, bashing something is just as fun.

Clerics CAN hold their own in melee, but they are not very good at dealing damage in melee. In the end-game, it becomes really hard to hit the tougher opponents, and they usually tend to hang back as highly armoured spellcasters.

Ranger (No kit?)
    -------------
    Appeal: Fully armored if I want, some spell use. Ranged as well as melee. Sneaky too.
    Concerns: Doesn't completely fit my concept, as the spells are limited.

Archer is probably the best kitted ranger, the standard ranger isn't too shabby either, though from a powergaming perspective, rangers are underwhelming.

Fighter/Mage
    -----------
    Appeal: This seems to be a spellsword, straight out of the box! He's got it all, lots of spells, and combat ready.
    Concerns: I'm going to be in a party, maybe full. Might fall behind in levels and be second banana?

I think you would really enjoy this one. F/M actually gains levels faster initially but starts falling behind at some point. It really doesn't hurt you that much, though. Once you gain access to level 6 spells, you become unbeatable. This pretty applies to the Blade as well.

Fighter -> Mage
    --------------
    Appeal: Same deal. Spellsword.
    Concerns: Dualling. You stop getting better as a fighter, so you become more of a wizard who can fight than a true spellsword.

If you do this, I suggest a Kensai -> Mage. Kensai gets remarkable bonuses to all melee weapons, and as a mage that can protect himself with spells, armor is redundant anyway. One of the most powerful class combos in the game.

Mage -> Fighter
    --------------
    Appeal: You continue getting martial prowess through your career.
    Concerns: This is lopsided the other way. A warrior who can use some magic, but only some.

An interesting idea, although I don't recommend this for a first playthrough. The dualing point is also hard to determine.
    @Yannir I also love the Berzerker-> mage because even if you get dispelled or whatever, you still have your immunities to status which prevents a lot of unfortunate outcome. Not to mention a Raging Berzerker and a Kensai only have a 1 Thac0/damage difference. Kensai's main asset would be Kai, which is quite insane with Black blade of disaster, but once you get to that point, the difference is that you will need 1.5 sec to chunk an enemy as a Kensai and 2 sec as a berzerker. By the way, Berzerker offers protection from all nasty effect that bypass your protections unless you hide behind 5 spell immunities which I find really cheesy.
    @Arunsun You are right, and a Berserker -> Mage is actually a lot more beginner-friendly as well.
  • GammaPhaseGammaPhase Member Posts: 27
    Thanks much, so at this point the suggested choices are:

Kensai > Mage
    Berserker > Mage
    Fighter / Mage
    Bard
    Fighter > Cleric, Fighter / Cleric

I'm not sure how to narrow it down further. It looks like there are quite a few threads, here and elsewhere, discussing the merits of these (including VS threads, matching them up). I'll see what I can dig up!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    As you are a new player I would definitely recommend the Fighter/Mage multiclass. If you want to add some flavour, I recommend adding a kit through EEKeeper rather than dualing.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Arunsun said:

Blade basically become a beast once you get improved haste. In fact, you can get 6-(8)attack per round

Doesn't APR max out at 5? AFAIK even Whirlwind HLA only gives you 5APR, it simply makes "round" last half as long(3 seconds instead of 6).

@GammaPhase: Fighter/Mage is commonly considered the single most powerful class combination in the game... if you have spells ready. Since you don't seem keen on abusing the rest system(cheers), your next best pick is probably Fighter/Cleric multiclass. Either Half-Orc or Dwarf will make a beastly F/C.

Forget about dualing, it's hard to do, makes half of your game a chore, and isn't even the best option anymore after ToB introduced HLAs.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I don't like Fighter/Mages, but I think the general consensus is that they're the best spellswords... largely because mage spells (Mirror Image, Stoneskin, PFMW) are the most effective ways to stop melee attacks. I'm afraid the game is a bit unbalanced that way.

A Fighter/Mage would be the most powerful option, though the other classes are quite fun as well.
    @blackchimes you can get up to 5APR without spells, and more with spells, up to 10 with Improved haste or whirlwind. I don't believe whirlwind works this way in BG2 (maybe it is the case in IWD, never played it though) since you still won't be able to cast two spells in less than 6 sec which would be the case if round lasted 3sec. Plus it is explicitly written in your character sheet 10APR when you cast it.
    Definitely with IH you can get more than 5.

By the way, I consider Cavalier and Blackguard to be just as strong as a F/M because of how tanky and unkillable they may become while still having a very good offensive potential. But that's my personal opinion

@Gammaphase both your first choices are better than multiclass Fighter/mage, in my humble opinion, but dual-classing may prove to be a problem for a first-timer. Among these two, Berzerker/mage is definitely more beginner friendly.
    Fighter/Cleric is nice because it is powerful from the beginning of the game and very beginner-friendly, you won't have that downtime. You will get as many Cleric spells as you possibly can in the end as well.
    Fighter -> Cleric is nice because you can get a kit (Berzerker being the most appropriated there) but I would leave that to a second playthrough since downtime is pretty annoying (and the result is definitely less powerful than a Fighter/Mage).

I would pick Blade or Fighter/mage if I were you, since they match your spellsword thing better than fighter cleric (which can't wield any sword, actually, but can still fight and cast spells), and both these are more beginner friendly than dual-classing.
    My choice would be blade because you are gonna play a full party (Mislead+Bard song is quite interesting even before high level abilities), which is even more beginner-friendly since you will get more spells than a fighter/mage at least early on because exp won't be divided.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited July 2015

I don't like Fighter/Mages, but I think the general consensus is that they're the best spellswords... largely because mage spells (Mirror Image, Stoneskin, PFMW) are the most effective ways to stop melee attacks. I'm afraid the game is a bit unbalanced that way.

A Fighter/Mage would be the most powerful option, though the other classes are quite fun as well.

I don't like F/M for kind of monotonic replayability. It's almost always makes sense to go dual-wielding and Celestial Fury and so on, and one game is similar to another. It makes sense power-wise, after all. And it's just too cheesy. In my experience, for example, thief/mage is a lot more fun to play and it somehow corresponds to my notion of 'spellsword' (YMMV).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited July 2015
    Elf Fighter/Mage or even better I think is a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist. Gnomes get really nice racial perks (bonuses to saves is really strong) and the illusionist kit gives extra Mage spells so often you'll have as many spells as a pure Mage (though not as high a level ones).

Dual classing is often tedious and the pay offs aren't as much as I would like compared to a multiclass which can get the warrior epic level abilities as well as the Mage ones and still get level 9 spells.

Edit: romances for gnomes is limited but Aerie and the 4 new NPCs will romance a gnome (and what gnome wouldn't want a lesbian vampire girlfriend?).
    For the record, I disagree with @Arunsun on FM duals being more powerful than a FM multiclass. Multiclassed characters keep on progressing with both classes instead of just one, and gain HLA's on both classes. The dualed characters end up becoming more spellcaster-like the further you progress them. While that is strong as well, it wasn't really what was looked for here, and not necessarily more powerful either.
    @Yannir on the other hand, dualed FM have access to grandmastery, which is not neglectable due to the extra 1/2 attack, and they get mage spells much faster (if we are talking about a F(9)->M, past 500 000 exp they have more mage level). I mean, reaching 6m to get level 9 spells is achieved lategame (and BBoD), during mid to late ToB in a full party, while 3,25m is what you should get by the end of SoA.
    There are four reasons for which you might want to get more fighter level past level 9:
    Thac0: the best Thac0 you need to hit someone on every hit except one in SoA and ToB is -11 I believe. You won't meet anyone with an AC lower than -12 in SoA/ToB (though we can't say the same for BP2, the Winged has up to -26 against melee weapon). With a base 12 Thac0, gauntlet (-2) +5 weapon (-5) GM (-3) STR (With 21 STR, -4), Helmet of the Balduran (-1) permanent invisibility bonus (mislead, -4), that's a -7 Thac0, which is decent enough in my experience, and you can slightly boost is with a full team and buffs that come along. Plus at later levels your base thac0 will be even lower thanks to BBoD and its Thac0 based on warrior of half the wizard level Thac0.
    Proficiency point: Fair point, though F->M will be using BBoD early enough, and it has grandmastery no matter your class. You might say that Grandmastery argument thus fall off, but F/M will get it very late. As a F/M though you won't need anything except your main weapon and possibly a second, situationnal weapon (Mace of Disruption comes to mind)
    HLA: A full build, dual-wielding, improve-hasted F->M will have permanent 9 APR. Hardiness is pointless due to mage protections. Critical strike is not so useful since most enemies are immune to it, and with a F/M you will have a good enough Thac0 to always hit your enemies. Other abilities are irrelevant.
    Hit points: Fairly irrelevant since you shouldn't be hit whatsoever with all your protections.
    Wow, great discussion everyone.

I'm starting to second-guess my decision, after looking at the spells themselves. There's a strong learning curve here, regarding which spells to even learn, let alone use. And how to use them to good effect, alone or in conjunction.

Now I'm wondering if I should forego magic altogether and just let the people in my team handle that, is that even viable? Some games have pretty good handling of computer controlled characters.

I mean, if so, I might just try to build a melee powerhouse I can while they handle the spells, as it might be over my head to learn the best way to apply spells.

I don't mind deliberating over decisions, but I wasn't expecting this much depth and complexity to the system honestly.
    edited July 2015
    You will control every member in your team just like your own character. The available mage scripts are not so good, so you really should control them yourself.
    And if you have any question about which spells are good to use, just come here. The system is at the same time fairly complex and quite easy. What I mean is that, if you really wanna understand how everything works, it is quite a piece of work, but you can still play and complete the game with low knowledge of the rules. I completed the first BG when I was 7, I just knew how to read, and you can easily understand I really did not pay attention to all the Thac0 thing etc... at that time. I did not even know what saving throws etc... were.
    @GammaPhase even if you don't learn the spells for your character, you will have to learn them for your party members... either way you'll have to learn them. Spells can be changed whenever you want(unless you're a Sorcerer, but you aren't) and for the most part what is good and what is not is pretty obvious from the descriptions.

If you start with BG, it will be a LONG time before you get all the spells, both arcane and divine, so you'll have plenty of time to get to know all of them.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2015
    I think the F/M multiclass is going to be much easier to learn the game with for the first time player than a Blade. That's because Blades can't wear any better than chain armor during the early, squishy levels, while F/M's can wear full plate and use large shields to keep themselves alive while they strengthen their magic.

Remember how easy it is to die during the first few levels of the game, where anybody with "mage" in their job description has it even harder than the other classes. The great thing about the F/M multiclass is that you can start out as a nice, tough fighter until you get mastery of the spells you need to protect yourself without armor.

In the mean time, you can still use wands for spells, and you can fill your first two or three first-level spell slots with identify spells, for identifying magic items.

@GammaPhase , every player has to learn the spell system to succeed at the game, regardless of which class the main character is.

For BG1:EE, there are only a few spells that work reliably or are needed, though. They are:

1st level spells: Sleep (that's really the only mage spell you need at early levels), magic missile (especially after level 3 when you get at least two of them), and some people like blindness, spook, and chromatic orb. You can pretty much ignore the rest. Identify can be useful, and Armor if you want to lose your plate mail early and start being a true spellsword, but that's risky, as the Armor spell is much flimsier than plate. Identify is always handy, as there are many magic items that need to be identified, and some of them are dangerously cursed.

2nd level spells: Web for offense, Mirror Image and Invisibility for defense. Some people like Melf's Acid Arrows, but they don't do much damage at BG1 levels. Very brave spellswords might take off their armor and try to rely on Mirror Image, but you'll only have one or two castings of it at first.

3rd level spells: Things get more interesting here. Fireball is the most popular, but you have to learn how to not hurt your own party with it. Flame Arrow is safe but less useful. Melf's Minute Meteors are good, but they replace your sword until you use them all. A lot of people like Skull Trap. Spirit Armor for defense. You can lose the fighter armor and function as a spellsword if you're careful.

4th level spells: Here's where you can finally be a true spellsword without missing your armor, because of one big, huge, game-changing defensive spell: Stoneskin. Minor Sequencer is good if you can find it, but you may have to wait until BG2. By the time you have access to this spell level, BG1 will be almost over.

5th level spells: You will be unlikely to reach this spell level during BG1 as a multiclass. There are very few copies of 5th level spells in BG1. About the only useful one you can find easily is Cloudkill, a great offensive spell, but again, you have to learn how to not kill your own party with it.

The various spell protections and spell-protection-penetration spells such as Minor Globe of Invulnerability, Protection from Normal Missiles, Secret Word, and such don't really become that important until BG2. There will be a magical arms race in BG2 that will necessitate learning at least a little bit about what protections enemy mages are using and how to dispel them, but you can play BG1 without worrying about it too much.

If you get specific questions as you play, lots of people here will be glad to answer them.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2015
    @GammaPhase
    1.) I'd prioritize Dex, Con, and Int. You can add strength if you get a good roll, but there are plenty of ways to augment your strength through items, potions, or spells.

2.) As an elf, you'll get a bonus to attack with long swords and short swords, so you may as well start with one of those. You'll also have access to some pretty good ones early on in BG1. It's also advisable to be proficient in a ranged weapon (elves also have bonuses to longbows and shortbows) early on so that you can hit enemies before they hit you. You'll eventually transition to using primarily melee weapons, but a bow can really help at low levels.

3.) As @BelgarathMTH mentioned, play like you're a fighter early on. Put on the best armor you can get. It will prevent you from casting spells, but it will help keep you alive. (Note that you cannot switch in/out of armor during combat.) For the first couple of levels, you may want to memorize spells that you can use outside of combat (like identify or friends) and just use wands/scrolls for in-combat casting. Once you get a decent armor class without armor (from robes or bracers + other items) and can cast mirror image, you can switch your memorized spells to ones that are more useful in combat. BelgarathMTH's list is a good start - I'd also recommend trying grease (1st lvl), glitterdust (2nd), strength (2nd, if you didn't max it when rolling your character), and haste/slow (3rd).

Also, you may want to consider taking find familiar with one of your initial spell choices. You only have to cast it once (ever), but it gives you some bonus HP which can really help early on. However, they are pretty fragile (and some bad stuff happens if they die), so you'll probably just want to stow it in your pack and leave it there most of the time.
    Post edited by Vakarian on
    Vakarian said:

Also, you may want to consider taking find familiar with one of your initial spell choices. You only have to cast it once (ever), but it gives you some bonus HP which can really help early on. However, they are pretty fragile (and some bad stuff happens if they die), so you'll probably just want to stow it in your pack and leave it there most of the time.

That's not a 100% true.. You have to cast it twice, once in BG and the second time in BG2. And to stow the familiar in your backpack, you need to talk to it.

One thing that I want to point out is that the same spells that work wonders in BG1, don't necessarily work at all in BG2. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

@GammaPhase Thank you for the acknowledgement. :smile: I've noticed that generally the people in this forum are more mature than in most forums, even though the arguments do get heated sometimes. All in good humor, ofc.

I'm really impressed with the members here at beamdog. You guys are incredibly helpful and you always answer questions I didn't even know I had! I want you to know I really appreciate the time and kindness you offer here so freely.

I don't want to keep this thread going forever, and go off topic into questions about magic.

@BelgarathMTH @Arunsun @blackchimes @Vakarian @Yannir and everyone, thanks.

I have decided on FIGHTER / MAGE multiclass! As an Elf, because I think elves are cool.

If you're bored and want to know why, I explain at the end of the post.

But now, some more questions on topic please gentlemen:

Fighter / Mage Creation
    --------------------

1. What should be my priorities for rolling the abilities like strength, dexterity, and etc?

2. What weapons would you recommend I work on for the proficiencies? I would like to be the best I can in one kind of sword, which kind is recommended, and what other weapons should I consider?

3. Can you share any general adventuring tips, without spoiling too much? I will be starting in Baldur's Gate.

Thanks!

Why I chose F/M

The dual-classing, as you guys pointed out, is for an advanced player who knows the game and how to deal with that downtime. Also, it doesn't feel right to me. Starting in one profession, and then switching into an opposite one. I know this is more RP thinking, but I'm kind of a "soft" player and don't care about powergaming.

The F/M is closest to what I want, using magic when I can. And once I'm out of it, throwing on armor and clean up any stragglers.

I WILL be starting in BG1, so I will have plenty of time to learn the spells. @BelgarathMTH gave me a great introduction to some of the useful ones, and thanks for that! If I must learn them, as it seems I must, then I might as well get my feet wet from the beginning.

And the F/M will forgive my bad decisions when it comes to magic (hopefully) so when I misuse or otherwise pull a rookie mistake using it I have strong combat ability to save my ass.

You made the right choice.

1. You should aim to maximize Str, Dex, Con and Int. Wis and Cha are "dump stats" for this build.

2. Start with longbows and longswords for BG1.

3. Early game do not try to melee. Use ranged weapons and disabling spells to overcome enemies. It is not shameful to skip difficult encounters and come back later.
    edited July 2015
    @GammaPhase :
    1) Elves are annoying when you roll a multiclass because of their min charisma.
    For a F/M playthrough I usually pick half elf and try to roll as follows:
    18 Str/con/dex/int 13+Wis and 3 charisma. If you go for elf, you might want to go for
    18Str/int 16 con/dex 12 wis 8 charisma. That's a 88 roll which you can get fairly easily (5min of reroll or so...). If you get a better roll, take a couple more points in con or dex. I know there are many ways to increase your strength in the game, but 18 base STR is just a lot more reliabld and convenient

2) Longswords, Bastard sword maybe, hammer a quite nice as well. I believe you will have 4 proficiency points at level 1, I'd grab longsword ** and longbow **

3) General tip: do NOT rush the story. When you get into a new zone, explore it, don't go straight for your objective.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited July 2015
    @GammaPhase

> 1. What should be my priorities for rolling the abilities like strength, dexterity, and etc?

Strength, dexterity, intelligence and constitution are the most important ones for F/M from mechanics point of view. Maxing dexterity gives you good armor. High strength is nice, though you can overcome the lack of it with items (keep in mind though that strength-boosting items are limited and some of your team mates may want them desperately). Warrior-types can benefit from high CON, it gives them more HP with each level-up, and more health you have the better. Difficulties with INT, WIS, CHA can be solved with potions/items to some degree, but you'll find it more convenient to have high INT and (depending on your playstyle, might matter a bit later in the game) WIS. For Fighter/Mage I would personally max DEX and INT first, then CON and STR, but you may have other priorities.

> 2. What weapons would you recommend I work on for the proficiencies? I would like to be the best I can in one kind of sword, which kind is recommended, and what other weapons should I consider?

Almost all options are good. Flails and long swords are pretty safe choices. A few pips in katanas might be also useful later.

> 3. Can you share any general adventuring tips, without spoiling too much? I will be starting in Baldur's Gate.

Well, have fun!

Post edited by woowoovoodoo on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Gnome is the answer.
  • ErstarrungErstarrung Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2015

1. What should be my priorities for rolling the abilities like strength, dexterity, and etc?

You should max out strength, dexterity, constitution, and intelligence. You can leave wisdom and charisma at their minimum (3 and 8). To achieve this, you require a total roll of 83, which is doable in about 30 seconds. If you have the patience, go for a total of 93, give your fighter/mage a charisma of 18 and make him/her the group's face character (the one in the topmost spot).

As a fighter/mage, there's only a single incident (in BG2) where wisdom is relevant, and you should simply grab a Potion of Insight (gives you a wisdom of 18 for 6 hours) for that incident.

As a fighter/mage, you'll get exceptional strength, if you set your strength to 18 (indicated by a percentage number; 00 is best as it means 100). A good total roll (83 or 93) is much more important than that exceptional strength; I would strongly advise you to just ignore that exceptional strength score, as
    you will find tomes which raise your attributes permanently in BG1, and your strength will be 19 after using the strength-increasing tome regardless what 18/xx strength you had.

2. What weapons would you recommend I work on for the proficiencies? I would like to be the best I can in one kind of sword, which kind is recommended, and what other weapons should I consider?

For a fighter/mage, I would recommend longswords. They're good from the start of BG1 right to the end of ToB (throne of Bhaal). Shortbows are decent ranged weapons (in BG1 longbows are better than shortbows; in BG2, the best bow is IMHO a shortbow).

While you may not cast spells while wearing armour, you absolutely can cast spells while using a shield, so you might consider in investing two points in the sword and shield style as well.

3. Can you share any general adventuring tips, without spoiling too much? I will be starting in Baldur's Gate.

1. For the main story, go to the Friendly Arm Inn first and then travel south to Nashkel. It should be pretty obvious from that point onward where to go and what to do to follow the main story.

2. Explore every map. Note as well that the game won't send you to all maps, so you'll miss most of the game if you don't explore of your own. Make sure to leave every map in every cardinal direction, as different areas become available depending on where you leave the map (so if you leave a map to the south, the area south of where you are will become accessible, but not the areas to the north, west, and east).

3. If fighting larger groups of different enemies, eliminate them in this order: Mages, clerics, ranged fighters, melee fighters.

4. If you're thorough, you'll come across a bastard sword +1 / +3 vs shapeshifters. Keep it. It's advisable to have someone in your group who is proficient with bastard swords. See the next point as well.

5. The expansion to BG1 (Tales of the Sword Coast) is integrated somewhat clumsily in BG1 (that's not the fault of Beamdog; it was done so by BioWare). So don't travel to Durlag's Tower before you've been to Ulgoth's Beard, even if the area becomes available really soon. The best point to travel to Ulgoth's Beard would be (I won't reveal much about the plot in the spoiler, but if you want to know really nothing about the plot: just travel to Ulgoth's Beard quite late in the game, at level 8+):
    You'll have to infiltrate a big, sinister organisation for a big wig in the city of Baldur's Gate. Right before turning in some very revealing letters to said big wig, stash them in a chest and travel to Ulgoth#s Beard. After finishing everything there, return to the chest, grab the letters and resume the main plot.
    In Ulgoth's Beard, I'd do the quests in this order:
    a) A quest given to you by a mage,
    b) A quest where you have to go by boat to reach the quest location,
    c) Everything else.
    IMPORTANT: Before actually boarding the boat from quest b), make sure you have that bastard sword from 4. with you. The game won't give any hint at all that you need that bastard sword, but you may well get stuck forever if you don't take it with you. It's advisable to have a group member with you who knows how to wield daggers, as well.
    Vakarian said:

Actually at the very beginning of BG the familiar is a killing machine, and definitely much stronger than your character. They vary depending on alignment but generally have about 0AC and 2 attacks per round(plus they can have some spells like Blur) which is more than you'll get for quite some time.
    @blackchimes @Erstarrung @woowoovoodoo @Arunsun @Yannir @FinneousPJ @Vakarian

If I missed anyone sorry.

Thanks, I'll be starting my game today. We'll see how things go, but I'm ahead of the game now with your wonderful advice.

I wish I could take you on the adventure with me, it would be classic: the veterans coming out of retirement for one last adventure. Waiting for the rookie mistakes.

"Oh no, he's about to get his ass handed to him."

"Well I saw that coming. I've done that before. Nice knowing you kid."

Haha. See you next thread guys.
    If you have the time to write a journal, we love reading about the adventures of newcomers. Or maybe you prefer to vlog or something.