Skip to content

Whats the most amount of time you have spent rolling a character's stats?

brynbryn Member Posts: 36
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
  1. Whats the most amount of time you have spent rolling a character's stats?170 votes
    1. 5 to 10 mins
      15.29%
    2. 30 mins
      20.59%
    3. 1 hour
      32.94%
    4. Half a day
      22.94%
    5. A day or longer
        5.88%
    6. I take the first roll
        2.35%

Comments

• brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    What are the best stats you have rolled?
    str - 18
    dex - 18
    con - 16
    int - 18
    wis - 14
    cha - 10
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    tbh i think i spend more time picking a class, then changing my mind and picking something else, then switching race, then deciding, you know what, im gonna do a mage
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Having always played a Paladin some of the min stats are set and therefore seemingly able to get a higher set of scores, I tend to wait until I get a 95 at least (current stats 18/84,18,18,7,16,18). I'm sure I could get higher if I could be bothered but 95 seems to be a reasonably achievable roll...
    Funny as it sounds I've spent days looking for the right portrait picture online and that influences my whole character choice
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Hm.. I've probably spent somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes, but I doubt I've spent more than that. The need to have multiple rolls of 18 baffles me. I was surprised when I first checked out other players of BG via the Internet and observed how powergame-y a lot of them seem to be. I just assign my stats as I feel suits my character.
    Also, yeah, I can empathise with @bryn, although I never really download portraits, except the celebrity-based ones from the old site 'The Portrait Portal'.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It can take me up to 2 hours... Many times I will actually ragequit the game because of it though, so I guess half a day is a good estimate :P
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    10-30 mins. I try to make every stat 10 and have 28 or more points to spend.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Just because I can spend up to an hour doesn't mean I min/max which I absolutely despise. I spend a long time rolling because I want a 'flavoursome' set of stats for my PC, which includes putting points into things that can be totally useless to certain classes. I remember a sorcerer I rolled with incredible Wisdom and abysmal Constitution just because.

Edit: I know Wisdom can be useful to arcane classes but that wasn't my intention.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    first click female them searc picture for about 2hours or so then pick half-elf then somekind or bard or assassin then roll till me eyes bleed. best roll so far was my first assassin with 18 18 18 18 10 18. normally 18 18 18 10 10 10 would be fine for me but as a bard i need int and charisma
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    The most time I spend rolling is, sigh .... 2 hours , usually not more that 30 minutes , but more than 15 minutes , unless I got really good roll early .
    Best stat , fighter / mage
    Str 18
    Dex 16
    Cons 15
    Wis 13
    Int 18
    Cha 15

Uh well ...
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I always try to at least get 18 DEX and 16 CON (unless I'm a fighter) for my characters regardless. Of course, those numbers can change depending on what race I decide to play. As for the rest, I really just have to hope I'm getting good rolls for my specific class. It can and has taken a lot of my time before.
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    I typically run around 5-10 minutes. I don't need uberstats to enjoy the game. I prefer the challenge to be a little closer to the pen/paper world...plus I would rather play the game than sit there rerolling stats forever.

I would say I do spending more time thinking of a look and feel for a character though, when working on someone new. like some, I will scour the net till I find something that fits or I will just go ahead and draw up my own (see avatar for example). The flavor of a character is more important to me than the mechanics under the hood. ~
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I guess longest I spent rolling was close to 2 hours so I picked the first option above 1 hour :).
    Yeah sorry @koson I wanted to change that option to more than 1 hour but the site doesn't provide said editing feature
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Half a bloody day...

Then I discovered CLUA Console and bruised my head knutting the table.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    How is it that according to the poll results Elminster took the first roll? I smell Mystra's influence all over that one...
    Ah but @anduin that is technically cheating, however sitting there for half a day sort of felt like you earned it! lol
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2012
    I spend more time picking a class, deciding I don't really want it, and starting over than I do rolling stats. I generally reach a point where I get annoyed w/ myself, just ctrl+8 it, and then drop some stats down to a reasonable level.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    My highest roll ever was a grand total of 104 on a Wizard.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @bryn You need stats that will keep you alive... I must admit, I see stats as more of role play or quasi difficulty setting. Wanna play it Hardcore? Roll once. Wanna role play an idiot wizard? Change you stats to 18 str 12 int. I like Ctrl-8 because it stops you wasting half a day... Must admit though. First play completed it on my first roll... So stats not that important (My first roll was pretty good for a mage that I played, I lucked out 17 and 16 on my roll for int and con)
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    I rarely roll for more than 5 minutes. The only time I rolled for half an hour was when I was determined to make a "movie-esque" Bhaalspawn (so, of course, relatively invincible). I chose an Elven F/M (for some reason, I always pictured this as CHARNAME's "real" class) and rolled until I got 18/19/17/18/16/don't remember my CHA but it was pretty high (and of course tomes made that into 19/20/18/19/18 (skipped Durlag's))

Of course, I learned that F/Ms aren't all that they're cracked up to be as the M part levels too slowly to be helpful. I started in Candlekeep but by Amkethran I was just reaching level 7 spells
  • eainterplayeainterplay Member Posts: 55
    I usually tire after about 20 minutes, and the highest (I can remember) was 89 total points.
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    I guess I never really cared about Min/Max'ing that much. I wanted my character to be more realistic but mostly I just wanted to play the game, knowing full well that I could improve the lower stats throughout the game with items/tomes.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    In all my years playing BG, I always wanted this roll...

18/00 str
    18 dext
    18 const
    3 int
    13 wisd
    18 char

...for my paladin (my fave class). I'd roll after roll after roll, but I always seemed to fall short, and would usually end up settling for an 18/80s or 18/90s in str, because I could never get an 18/00 with enough points to get the other stats maxed.

A few months back, I happened to be messing around with the char creator without any intention of actually playing the game, and on my second or third roll I rolled the above combo. My head almost exploded, LOL.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I've only done 30 minutes a couple of times or so. For a Bard and a Druid I believe.

Anyway my best roll only took like 5 minutes. It was
    18/00 Str - 18 Dex - 18 Con - 10 Int - 18 Wis - 10 Cha
    For a Cleric/Ranger.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I've probably actually spent a couple hours, but 1 is more average.
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    I usually use about 2 hours. Highest total I've ever got was about 94-95 which is pretty low considering I've propably rolled about 100 characters in my lifetime.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    It's not unheard of for me to spend over 5 hours rolling a party, and I'm not even talking about all the time I pass just thinking about my party build on my "Xth playthrough".
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Well, since I cheat to get 18 in all stats it's painless. ;D
  • ArchaonArchaon Member Posts: 24
    The problem is just with the 18/00 Strength, which is so rare!!!