Skip to content

My favourite pub on the Sword Coast is...

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I have a dream where I make my fortune selling a book entitled "Oooh! That looks like a nice little pub!" Inside would be references to lots of little pubs I had visited, with reasons why I liked it past the obvious 'it is a place that sells beer...'

I loved BG for the fact that as soon as the poo hit the fan, and Gorion died, the first thing you think of is going to the pub to find friends!

I also enjoyed the realism of the pubs. Not only would you find drunks, but you would find shady characters trying to sell you stuff, people giving you jobs to do and occasionally someone trying to kill you, just as you would in my own local... So for your enjoyment a Poll to find the best pub on the sword coast...
  1. My favourite pub on the Sword Coast is...150 votes
    1. Nashkel Inn
        3.33%
    2. The Belching Dragon
        1.33%
    3. The Red Sheaf
        1.33%
    4. The Burning Wizard
        2.00%
    5. Fieldpost Inn
      10.00%
    6. The Jovial Juggler
      15.33%
    7. Friendly Arm Inn
      36.00%
    8. Candlekeep Inn
      10.00%
    9. The Elfsong Tavern
      16.00%
    10. The Splurging Sturgeon
        4.67%
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I am aware that a few Taverns and Inns have not made it onto the list, The Three Old Kegs for instance. If you feel that I have done an injustice to your favourite Baldur's Gate pub, let me know!
    In the day the Friendly Arm Inn is like any other tavern. But on the night it turns into a cattle market :P
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Home sweet home, inn sweet inn.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I've always been partial to Feldpost's. "You tell 'im, Marl!"
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Undercellar! BG's most distinguished gentleman's club.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    The Helm and Cloak
  • brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    @space_hamster "Hey sexy, do you want to take a look at me ditties?"
  • brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    Love the theme music from the friendly arm in!
    The Splurging Sturgeon always seemed wrong to me... It was if there was always an euphemism right under my nose whenever I went in...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Like them all, but the FAI being a fortress has a kind of special feel to it for me.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Fieldpost= Feldepost's Inn. I'll have to go with the Friendly Arm, myself. Rest *and* Clerical attention all in one place!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    LadyRhian said:

Fieldpost= Feldepost's Inn. I'll have to go with the Friendly Arm, myself. Rest *and* Clerical attention all in one place!

It's the Super 8 of Faerun!

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    The Elfsong Tavern sound so melodic...
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Nice poll :)!
    I have to admit that I have more sweet memories of the taverns in bg2, like the Five Dragons Inn or the Copper Coronet
    But in bg1 Feldpost's inn is my favourite ("Hey, don't click on me, I don't want any trouble" by Dunkin)
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    What about the Low Lantern?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Phoenix Tail Tavern in Neverwinter.

What? The bards sing an actual song! :)
    Not surprised about the Friendly Arm being a popular choice... Ever since they put the 80's music and cheese on level 2 and made that level 3 into a ravers mosh pit, it was going to be a hit with everyone!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2012
    The Three Old Kegs, though I always forget it's name. It's such a nice, big luxurious place full of people. I especially like the feeling there's more than adventuring going on in Baldur's Gate, if you're they're. There's a peasant telling you adventurer's are smelly, and that it's a safer life to stink from manure than from dragon's blood (forgot his exact wording, but it's really giving you the feel some people don't give a shit about what you're doing and that's a nice way to put yourself in perspective).
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    Fieldpost Inn. There's Marl and he dosen't like your type in there.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Elfsong simply because I felt that it had enormous potential for future quests or plotlines. It just... seemed so interesting!

Also, it has the best name..
  • unfortunate_oneunfortunate_one Member Posts: 44
    Xzar said:

Where is Blushing Mermaid?

I believe that is the inn in Baldur's Gate where you whip up on an ogre and get some fancy gauntlets.

I love the Jovial Juggler. I find that big room over the kitchen the best place to sty the night, and it's a steal at 8 gold a night!
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I love them all, but the Friendly Arm Inn just beats the others for its sheer size. If the inns in Baldur's Gate had been more graphically distinct, though (following the descriptions in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast), I'd have choosen one of them.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Because if the Iron Crisis and the war with Amn goes down, I'd hole up in there and use it as a base of operations.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    My favourite pub on the Sword Coast is... not on this list.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Cloutier said:

What about the Low Lantern?

This. Low Lantern was my fav. :P
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I'm commander Sheppard and this is my favorite inn on the sword coast.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I had to go with the Bleching Dragon. One of the few true "Pubs" (ie not an inn) you can't sleep there unless you pass out drunk on the floor. It's also where you get to meet Volthamp Geddarm who was the only cameo character in the game that didn't irk me by his inclusion. Elminster and Drizzt should have been left out in my opinion.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Best pub in the series is definitely the copper corronet.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited September 2012
    The Candlekeep Inn. I picked my first lock there. And got to say "Up yours, you uppity bald virgin" to the guard who caught me at it.