Skip to content

Any chance Half Orcs will finally be done justice?

124»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Maybe. Then again, chances are that the creators simply forgot about already established bits 'n pieces and instead wrote something just for the heck of it. Even if that meant they'd contradicted themselves in the process. Wouldn't be the first time it happened within the early history of OD&D/AD&D. This is pretty clear here given that mongrelmen were around ever since 1983, predating the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook and this particular rule by six years.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I usually simplify it to this: As long as a lineage exhibits traits from both species, it remains a half-elf, no matter how many generations down the line it is. If the lineage procreates with only human to the point that the Elven traits are washed out to the point of statistical* insignificance, the lineage becomes human. The equivalent is of course also true for a lineage that interbreeds only with elves until all human traits are lost. The same obviously goes for the majority of the half-whatever races.

*The reason I specify statistically is that from a gameplay/rule perspective the only relevant part of the difference between the races is the stats, not any of the fluff. For example, if somebody wanted to play a human who looks like a half-elf because some elven blood up in his ancestry, I'd have no problem with that, as long as the understanding is that gameplay-wise it is a human, and will not receive any of the half-elven benefits.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Speaking of half orcs, am finishing up an NPC/Quest mod that revolves around a half orc character and some associated FR lore surrounding the orc race. So they will get a bit of justice, depending on your perspective :)

So anyway, quick question I can't seem to find an "official" answer to. Half elf + half elf = half elf and half orc + half orc = another half orc right? seems to make sense...
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    Green skin is beautiful!
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714