Skip to content

Mage main pc for bg trilogy

d00der82d00der82 Member Posts: 21
So after a lot of consideration, and minor power gamey single class playthroughs I think I'm going to do a trilogy run (dragonspear included).

I realize there are ideal pc classes that can aquire super low thaco and ac plus spell immunities, but I crave a run through with more arcane spells but without the exploits of a mage multi class or sorceror cheese.

Would a party with 2 tanks, 2 divine casters and 2 arcane casters (main pc and npc) be a fun playthrough?

I'm planning a good playthroug with:

Bg1:
PC conjurer
Minsc
Jaheira
Khalid
Brawhen
Imoen (thief till max traps then dual mage).

Bg2:
PC stI'll conjurer no dual
Minsc
Jaheira
Anomen
Keldorn
Nalia >>> Imoen.

I always waneed to do a playthrough with more magic and any other playthrough would lead inevitably to more power gaming. I just wanna know if the following playthrough is plausible on normal and fun without power gaming stats like an invincible fighter mage or a suoer low thaco kensai etc etc

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Mages are powerful without cheese. Restrict whatever tactics you want; the mage is probably still going to have enough options left. Mages don't necessarily lead to powergaming, and your playthrough is definitely plausible.

Whether it is fun is a different question, mostly dependent on your preferences. I have found that the most entertaining stuff in BG2 tends to either be very new, or fairly hard. Seek out new tactics, new playstyles, or new mods. Sword Coast Stratagems brings a lot of novelty and variety to the table, and you can tweak the settings if it's too hard (depending on your install options, it can be either moderately tougher than the original game, or extremely challenging). If EE versions are available, you might also consider Spell Revisions, Item Revisions, or maybe the upcoming Kit Revisions mod, all by @Demivrgvs. All of those mods do a lot of intelligent nerfing and buffing, removing some "cheesy" stuff while adding in lots of new content (SR and IR take away a lot, but they give a lot more than they take).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    A pure mage is always more than plausible on any difficulty. Don't worry.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm currently playing a vanilla mage from BG1 on my way to ToB, too - and I'm lovin' it!

Your party seems balanced and I believe that two arcane spellcasters is a must , so you can have some backup .Good job!

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Wild mages are the truth!
  • RagnarrRagnarr Member Posts: 24
    I am doing mostly the same thing! Except that I will drop Khalid for Ajantis instead. Let's keep in touch because I am just starting up! Btw, I am Pure mage!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Just remember...Keldorn will dispel your protective spells as well. My fighter/mage certainly found that to be annoying. You've got your stoneskins and mirror image up...and then boom! Your standing there in your robes with sharp pointy objects pointed at you.

Always cast immunity to abjuration before Keldorn unleashes his dispel.

Also watch out for Anomen making Keldorn run away in fear when he turns undead. It's a bug, but in my last playthrough it was still there.

So I suppose...you may want to switch Keldorn for someone else. Mazzy perhaps? She's kinda like a paladin...
  • d00der82d00der82 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2015
    Ragnarr said:

I am doing mostly the same thing! Except that I will drop Khalid for Ajantis instead. Let's keep in touch because I am just starting up! Btw, I am Pure mage!

Well so far I'm level 5 and the sleep, horror, spook, magic missle and skull trap spells have paid huge dividends.

I turned imoen into a mage very early (when traps was maxed) and she has been my backup mage for identify, knock, detect illusion, and stuff like that. I will also give her haste so my main can hurl fireballs aND such. Lpoking forward to magic missing things to death with two Mages in the late game of bg1 ;-)

Also just scribed dire charm which I'm sure will be quite useful.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm in ToB now with my mage character, and I'm investing spells slots in contingencies, spell sequencer and spell triggers , so looks like he actually premeditates the upcoming battles and charges multiple spells to guarantee victory. I'm lovin' it.
  • d00der82d00der82 Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2015
    DJKajuru said:

I'm in ToB now with my mage character, and I'm investing spells slots in contingencies, spell sequencer and spell triggers , so looks like he actually premeditates the upcoming battles and charges multiple spells to guarantee victory. I'm lovin' it.

Man I can't wait! It's going to be awhile though since I'm waiting for Dragonspear before I proceed to bg2. Also juggling new games with the classics (mgs 5, fallout 4 as far as new releases go). Owning ps4 and pc had been an embarrassment of riches in the gaming department as someone who likes AAA as well as old school titles.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited August 2015
    DJKajuru said:

Contingencies are fantastic to use on the fly as well. That gives you great versatility and allows you to target people you otherwise couldn't with a spell. If that opposing mage goes improved invisibility, protection from energy, immunity to divination and immunity to abjuration (see SCS) then using a chain contingency with some ruby rays of reversal and a powerword blind or some other combination can help neutralize that opposing wizard quickly. Surrounded by a group of people hacking at you? Chain PfMW, stoneskin and improved invisibility with the trigger on sight of enemy or go the other way and chain sunfirex3. Outnumbered and on the run from a red dragon? Chain summon some mordy swords and protection from magical fire. Etc. I love the contingency spells!