Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Yeah...that's the difference between now and then. At the time we the people just thought it funny, to have someone physically strong, but not the brightest in the bulp department. We enjoyed him being sympathetic to his small comrade and liked him for his honesty/sincerity. End of story.

Nowadays he is abused as "comic relief" and misreprensation of mentally disabled people or so. Way to overinterpret everything. (He just got too many hits on his head; ever listened to some soccerplayer from that time?)

And no, you do not have to drag him along, you can just ignore him and waltz along.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

The uneven priorities given to the various romances is unforgivable. My God, who was responsible for that?!

• HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
    edited July 2016
    God said:

The uneven priorities given to the various romances is unforgivable. My God, who was responsible for that?!

There is a joke in there somewhere, I am certain of it. Can't see it, though. Sorry.

Yeah...that's the difference between now and then. At the time we the people just thought it funny, to have someone physically strong, but not the brightest in the bulp department. We enjoyed him being sympathetic to his small comrade and liked him for his honesty/sincerity. End of story.

Nowadays he is abused as "comic relief" and misreprensation of mentally disabled people or so. Way to overinterpret everything. (He just got too many hits on his head; ever listened to some soccerplayer from that time?)

And no, you do not have to drag him along, you can just ignore him and waltz along.

Ahem. Three things.
    1. While I don't begrudge you your right to like Minsc if he is your cup of tea (he isn't mine, as you can see), this is the Unpopular opinions thread, so you're bound to run into some you don't agree with. I spied three I didn't agree with on the very first page.
    2. Yeah, see, therein lies the rub. Minsc is more or less a one-trick pony. Okay, I'll be fair - a two-trick pony ("buttkicking" and "hamsters"). And the problem with one-trick ponies (and their two-trick cousins) is that they can only do one (or two) trick(s). And if you don't like their tricks, for whatever reason, their presence is inevitably going to get really grating. And me? I don't like Minsc's tricks. There were and are characters who did and do the same thing he did without the crazy, and I'm grateful for their inclusion.
    3. Are we talking about the same game? Because I know he's completely optional in the first game, but in the second? They rather ham-fistedly tell you that he was in your party whether you like it or not, and the prologue is leagues harder if you don't take him and Jaheira along. I know this as someone who has tried.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @HalfOrcBeastmaster I completely agree with you about the romances.

@HalfOrcBeastmaster I completely agree with you about the romances.

Nice to hear. I used to think I was the only one.
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Crazy shit, right here!
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I've long since stopped bothering with the prologue in favor of Dungeon Be Gone, so I feel no particular compunction to even approach Minsc and Jaheira. They'll just have to starve, I guess.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

Yeah, as HalfOrcBeastmaster, this is the unpopular opinions thread, so I'm not exactly looking for a debate against people who hold the majority opinion. And I'm actually pretty aware of the fact that I don't have to drag him around. I've played this game for over ten years.

If you really want to delve into Minsc's character and how it relates to the mentally handicapped, I would suggest the recent D&D comic series as a good summary of how seriously he's taken. He is basically reanimated centuries after everyone he knows has died (except Coran) and mistakes contemporary people as people he knew in his former life. No one is actually able to make him realize that he's been dead for decades and that he's in a new world, it's all played for laughs. The whole point of his character in this comic series is to get people to buy it. There's no actual reason why Minsc needs to be involved other than the publishers knew he was popular and it was easy to write him.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    LordVem said:

Goodberries and Barkskin are useful.

I agree on barkskin, but what use are goodberries?
    Grum said:

LordVem said:

If you are one of those players that kinda efficiency crazy and hate to over heal, they are good to top off those few hitpoints or get in range of a larger heal to top them off.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Grum said:

LordVem said:

If you are one of those players that kinda efficiency crazy and hate to over heal, they are good to top off those few hitpoints or get in range of a larger heal to top them off.
    Ah, I see.

In BG2 I swap around a ring of regeneration for that. But I can see how that could be useful in BG1.
  • LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28
    Grum said:

LordVem said:

Basically, its 5 hp healing out of combat. Now thats less than Cure Light Wounds, but the berries are permanent, so if you go through a rest cycle without using them, then it adds up.

Also theres not a lot going on for druids 2nd level spells, so I like at least getting some healing out of it. I can see why most people don't like having to click 30 times for 30 health though, it just doesn't bother me for some reason.

Haven't got my druid to SoA yet though; I imagine they'll become less appealing once I get a ways through that.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    @HalfOrcBeastmaster I completely agree with you about Minsc and the romances.

For nostalgia's sake, I just played through BG2 with a very typical party: Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie and Imoen (picked up after Yoshimo drops out).

Minsc is a pain to manage. I don't really enjoy all the extra work to keep him alive an useful.

Jaheir is actually better than Minsc melee wise, but not hugely useful. She was easier to keep alive and does get a useful item from her quest...

Aerie is pretty powerful but also very fragile.

Of the four Imoen is the most effective since I'm not playing a mage. She is pretty good one.
    I think pillars of eternity has better writing in general than the Baldur's Gate series.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Raduziel said:

I am unable to understand why people like to overlook those two free pipes in two weapon style. And his racial enemy (vampire) plus his pipes in maces makes me dream about getting the Mace of Disruption ASAP.

In my runs I seldom use Minsc, but everytime I do I give him Daystar and the Mace of Disruption. He goes in stealth to the middle of the vampires and BOOM! Good morning, Vietnam!

And before he gets the mace, his bezerk ability makes him immune to level drain.

I like to have him dual wield a mace and foebane (he need some kind of big sword at least). The bummer is that it takes so long to gain proficiency point.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    @Sinaherib

I agree with your assessment generally. I'm not sure if BG2's main story is one of its higher praised elements, though. It's not a highlight for me, specifically for the reasons you state, even though Irenicus as a character is chilling. It's mostly the voice acting and some of the dialogue, as he's cliche in many respects.

The strength of BG2 for me is the gameplay, the characters, and the fun side quests. The main plot really isn't a strength of the game. Is that an unpopular opinion?
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Vbibbi said:

The strength of BG2 for me is the gameplay, the characters, and the fun side quests. The main plot really isn't a strength of the game. Is that an unpopular opinion?

That seems fair. Of course, it comes up rather a lot, to be honest, so I'm not sure it's unpopular, at least these days. That said, I also am not sure it makes that much of a difference, in part for the reasons you list. I mean, what's more important, to have an intriguing plot, or to have good characters to interact with? I'd say the latter is probably going to provide more replay value, since let's be honest, a good plot may be able to hook you more than once, but it won't surprise you more than once. So when it comes down to it, Baldur's Gate 2's superior NPCs are going to draw me back more often than Baldur's Gate's iron crisis, every time.
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    Vbibbi said:

@Sinaherib

I agree with your assessment generally. I'm not sure if BG2's main story is one of its higher praised elements, though. It's not a highlight for me, specifically for the reasons you state, even though Irenicus as a character is chilling. It's mostly the voice acting and some of the dialogue, as he's cliche in many respects.

My opinion is the same - the gameplay, the characters and the sidequests are the highlight of BG2.

Yet I saw (and still see) very many people praising the "epic", "incredible", "fantastic", "deep", "engrossing", "perfectly paced" storyline (not to mention hype around Irenicus), which they call superior to almost all other RPGs. I understand that nostalgic emotions play significant role here, however it always confuses me.
    Archaos said:

3) I like Aerie. She undergoes a huge character development from fragile and pathetic, to strong and badass (at least when you romance her), with a ton of spells at her disposal.
    She also has a pretty tragic background that left a mark on her, literally, emotionally and psychologically.
    Watching her get over that and becoming more confident and more powerful is great, to say the least.

My "crime" is even "worse". Not only I adore Aerie, but I also don't like Viconia.