Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2016
    @thedamages

Just because it has a counter, doesn't mean that it's not the best of them.
    Being the best in comparison, doesn't make it perfect. It just makes it better than anything else.

If you pit a Sorcerer against all the other classes in a 1v1, the Sorcerer would be able to defeat them all.
    Mainly because of Time Stop shenanigans.
    While the Mage also has access to Time Stop, the Sorcerer has access to more of them, while being able to use the other 9th level spells and HLAs too.

The only counter to a max level Sorcerer is: Time Stop and kill them before they chain Time Stop.
    Certain ToB bosses were made immune to Time Stop because it's that powerful.

There's a reason Time Stop was removed from Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights II, even though it's a Core spell.
    It simply is that powerful.
    I know, I played a Sorcerer in NwN1 where it existed.

(Anyway, let's leave class comparisons for another thread.)
    Post edited by Archaos on
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I used to think Sorcerer was the best, then I played a solo Cleric/Mage and Thief/Mage and never picked a Sorcerer ever again.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Spell immunity can block time stop and if a sorceror has access to it, so does every other arcane caster to counter. Bards and thieves can use the scrolls with UAI as well. But you're right we should leave it for another thread.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @thedamages: Spell Immunity can not block Time Stop. Time Stop immunity uses a special opcode, opcode 310.
    edited July 2016
    Really? huh
    *EDIT* But doesn't timestop belong to a school like any other spell? Shouldn't Immunity (Insert school here) provide pretection from it?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited July 2016
    I can't recall testing to see if spell immunity: alteration blocked time stop at one time but it doesn't now, I just verified for sure with charname casting SI and Imoen casting the time stop.

Really thinking about it now, doesn't make sense that spell immunity is only 5th level and so powerful.
    @mf2112 I thought it did at one point, but I haven't played a pure caster since TOB was a new release.
    Well here I am, still learning new things 15 or so years later.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

if the Cloak of Mirroring can stop you from hitting yourself with Magic Missile.

Just tried that, the cloak didn't block it when I cast MM on myself so I took normal damage. The cloak did block Imoen's MM cast at charname wearing the cloak though. It didn't reflect.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    IIRC when ToB was released it changed the Cloak of Mirroring from reflection to deflection. Those that were around during that time will remember it also replaced the animation with that horrible white sphere. I suppose EE must have kept it that way.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    IWD has higher replay value than BG2.
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    The Elder Scrolls Online is a fun game.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    God said:

Exploration in Skyrim is just pointless. All locations and NPCs in this game are basically no different from each other, so it makes little sense to even try exploring it all, unless you like hoarding items. Worse still, there are obnoxious quick escape routes everywhere which coerce you not to explore further but to go find another 'reward room', which is all there usually is to be found. And as for the guy who thought that placing a bloody singing wall in every major dungeon was a good idea... boy, I was surprised you didn't inscribe them with 'The princess is in another castle'.

I think my brother only plays that game without items just to keep things interesting, so yeah.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2016
    New Vegas is probably still the ''king'' for me among those games.

I haven't even completed skyrim..There's a been a number of times I've installed it..Played a few hours, then gotten disillusioned and just dropped the entire play-through.

The dialogue of the guards you meet all over the game world is so bad it's good, hence why that arrow in the knee meme started in the first place.
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    I remember in previous versions, not the EE, I was able to make a drow why has this option been removed.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Are you thinking of IWD2? That has racial subclasses for character creation, including drow. But AFAIK the BG series never had an option of race selection past human/elf/half-elf/half-orc/gnome/halfing/dwarf
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Mage/cleric is overrated.
    batoor said:

New Vegas is probably still the ''king'' for me among those games.

I haven't even completed skyrim..There's a been a number of times I've installed it..Played a few hours, then gotten disillusioned and just dropped the entire play-through.

The dialogue of the guards you meet all over the game world is so bad it's good, hence why that arrow in the knee meme started in the first place.

mods they are you best friend! You'd probably love the requiem mod, it basically delevels al of skyerim back to a classic rpg, abilities and all. Changes a ton of shit and put an overbearing amount of enemies in dungeons while upping the ai.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Vbibbi said:

Are you thinking of IWD2? That has racial subclasses for character creation, including drow. But AFAIK the BG series never had an option of race selection past human/elf/half-elf/half-orc/gnome/halfing/dwarf

In the original release of BG there was a "subrace"" field on the character sheet, so you could call yourself any race you wanted. It had no effect on gameplay.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Fardragon You are thinking of Neverwinter Nights, not Baldur's Gate.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Vbibbi said:

IWD2

I want that customizable interface in the EEs.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Gameplay-wise, Oblivion can be infinitely richer than Skyrim and there is one reason for this: modding freedom. Skyrim's core gameplay mechanics are, in principle, no different from that of a poor console FPS and, what is worse, everything is so hardcoded that very little can be fixed with mods.

In Skyrim, Bethesda strives to create a cinematic experience. And that feels like a radio broadcast company chairman leading their board in the lines of 'Duuude, we should totally print the radio waves in a book and then throw them at people'.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited July 2016
    @God

Mods can change everything. I was talking about the vanilla game when I first played it, almost when it came out so many years ago.

The more I played it, the more I hated it and grew tired of it. It simply felt so pointless, boring and non-challenging.

Sure, Temple of Elemental Evil with the Circle of Eight fan-patch is amazing a decade after.
    But that doesn't change the fact that the vanilla version without the fan-patch is an unplayable buggy mess with game-breaking bugs.

Still, Oblivion needs a TON of mods to make it decent.
    Something for the UI, something for the leveled nonsense, something for the ugly faces and hair, something for the bugs, something this something or that.

If the base game needs so many mods to make it good, it's an awful game with a great modding capability but still an awful game.
    At least Temple of Elemental Evil has the honor of being the most accurate DnD (3.5E) game ever made.

Any "freedom" Oblivion supposedly gives you has been done better by Morrowind, if not Daggerfall.
    About the modding, Morrowind was quite moddable in every important area, but I am not an expert on these differences.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @God
    except the fact that mods like requiem DOES INFACT change the core, and play of the game.

@Archaos
    If you chase after all the best weapons and all the best items without planning when or where you're going to go after them, that is more a personal problem. Believe it or not, but some people actually liked the fact that the world is leveled.
    I can't really get into the Elder Scrolls series. I feel like having the world leveled, with how leveling is handled is the biggest issue of the series.Without metagaming, you have what 4-5 individual skills leveled up, while the encounters get a flat boost across the whole board. It makes leveling feel useless to me, and it always made me feel weaker when I should be getting stronger.