Skip to content

Shadow Armor - Not just for Thieves

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Other characters would like to wear this, such as Bards, Druids and Rangers.

It makes little sense for Bards or Druids to wear the armor, since it provides stealth bonus, but it is a +3 Armor here.

Rangers definitely could benefit from wearing this armor as well, with the Stealth bonus too.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I do feel your pain.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Can a multiclass fighter/thief use the Shadow Armour?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Yes, any multiclass thief should be able to use the armor.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2012
    3rd Edition blended Thief and Ranger closer together with the use of shared sneak and hide skills, so people associate them as a similar type of class. When you time travel back to 2nd Edition, Thief and Ranger were much further apart.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yeah I agree with @Edvin. It's not restricted to thieves just because they thought no one else would have use for it. It's like a bard not being able to wear mage robes; sure they could get great use out of them, but they can't for the sake of balance/lore/whatever.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    I'm with Boaster. Sure the armor was made for a thief, but can anyone name an actual logical reason that someone shouldn't be able to wear it for the AC only bonus?

The ranger bonus does remain debatable though.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    mars0124 said:

I'm with Boaster. Sure the armor was made for a thief, but can anyone name an actual logical reason that someone shouldn't be able to wear it for the AC only bonus?

Isn't it obvious?

The Shadow Armor comes with a hoodie. Only a Thief would wear a hoodie, as everyone knows.

...That turned out just a bit more politically sensitive than intended...
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    just for thieves for me.

the name itself makes it a thief-only item.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Aosaw said:

mars0124 said:

Isn't it obvious?

The Shadow Armor comes with a hoodie. Only a Thief would wear a hoodie, as everyone knows.

Even moreso considering the color of the armor.

BUT I DIGRESS

Just because it was designed for a thief doesn't mean that it's magically limited to thieves only. That's silly. Plate armor is designed for fighters, and yet paladins can wear them just fine. It's really good leather armor, and if someone is capable of wearing leather armor, they should be allowed to wear the Shadow Armor.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    In PnP D&D, many magic items have powers that require certain skills or abilities in order to function to their full potential. Example: anyone can use a holy sword as a +2 weapon but, in the hands of a holy warrior (paladin), its true powers manifest.

Programing items in games to function differently for different characters is problematic. Restricting their use based on class flags is much easier. If the shadow armor appeared in a normal PnP game, it would likely function as magical studded leather for most but its other abilities would be unlocked for a thief. Since we can't program that easily, it's just restricted to thief use for simplicity.

Again, but in short: can't program different functions for different classes easy so just restrict use to intended class instead.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Kithrixx said:

Aosaw said:

mars0124 said:

Isn't it obvious?

Even moreso considering the color of the armor.

BUT I DIGRESS

Just because it was designed for a thief doesn't mean that it's magically limited to thieves only. That's silly. Plate armor is designed for fighters, and yet paladins can wear them just fine. It's really good leather armor, and if someone is capable of wearing leather armor, they should be allowed to wear the Shadow Armor.
    I'm not sure what makes you say plate armour is designed for fighters. Also, the game is full of items like this, items that would be useful to other classes, but are limited to one class or another simply because that class is the one that the item's bonuses apply to and that the item was designed for.
    I think the main fact is - Shadow armor - made for hiding in the shadows of a dark night, in a dark alleyway, in a dark city.
    Rangers hide in shadows is more like a... chameleon hide in shadows... you know, tree hugging, mud loving, bonsai working kind of TLC, not a dark alleyway, dark night, dark city kind of TLC that the thieves have.

Also, in a world which items that are magically designed and restricted... why would the shadow armor be the one exception? Why can't my psychopathic barbarian use the Staff of the Magi? Just because it's called a Staff of the Magi, doesn't mean it has to be used JUST BY MAGES, right? :P
  • lolthlolth Member Posts: 39
    Shadow armor for thief

New armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armorNew armor
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    the thief class needs its own items to make it an interesting pick, as with all the classes, luckily in baldurs gate 2, thieves get 'Use any Item' *troll face*

Seriously though each class has its own items and I just think making the shadow Armour available to other classes like ranger, druid and bard is a bit unfair. Then that breaks the barrier for other questions like, why can't bards sneak? or Druids turn undead? or rangers sneak attack? things are just the way they are, don't fix it if isn't broken :P
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Why you actually want that armor available for all ?

If you are mage, you can´t use any lather armor.
    If you are thief you can use it, so it is ok.
    If you are bard you can use Drizzt armor ( is even better )

All other professions can use many same good or even better armors.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Rangers can even use Drizzle's armizzle and can still stealth.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited October 2012
    i like some items remaining special and having restrictions. but shadow-armor should be available for STALKER also :)
    Post edited by trinit on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Edvin said:

If you are mage, you can´t use any lather armor.

I realise it was just a typo but I like the idea of lather armor. Protects you while you are having a bath?

Boaster said:

Rangers can even use Drizzle's armizzle and can still stealth.

That should be the name of a OG Rapper, like really XD
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Permidion_Stark Shaving Cream! So nice and clean! Shave every day and you'll always be clean! ;)
  • simonesimone Member Posts: 41
    I don't understand one things?
    Could a stalker wears this armor?And the others ranger classes
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 632
    I think it's only fair that it's tied to Thief only, and imo, should be single class thief only. Why? Well compared to any other melee'ish class (Barb, Pal, Fighter, Ranger, Bard, Cleric, Druid) thieves are rather gimped. Suuure they can backstabb, but that really doesn't compare to the other classes in a long fight of attrition. Let the thieves have their one redeeming item for themselves.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Khyron said:

I think it's only fair that it's tied to Thief only, and imo, should be single class thief only. Why? Well compared to any other melee'ish class (Barb, Pal, Fighter, Ranger, Bard, Cleric, Druid) thieves are rather gimped. Suuure they can backstabb, but that really doesn't compare to the other classes in a long fight of attrition. Let the thieves have their one redeeming item for themselves.

A +3 Short Sword or Dagger of venom? That's not something the Thieves benefit from?