Skip to content

since goblins are a playable race, replace bg2 goblins with goblin enemies that have a class & level

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
that's it basically. goblins in the first dungeon (and many other places) don't have tho be the bottom-rung, they can be distinguished goblin mercenaries.

Comments

• xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    SHOULD be. I mean, why would one of the greatest elven sorcerers have a few dozen goblins hanging around?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Maybe they are just goblin commoners trying to do their job desperately in order to feed their families? Even monsters aren't immune to the global job crisis after all. :(
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i don't mind them being there aesthetically, but it will be strange if the only capable goblin character will be either the new npc or the pc

to make things consistent some "hero" goblin enemies should be created. either a party of those, or a leader of goblin party ("goblin warrior" maybe) could be an actual fighter for example. or a shaman ("goblin shaman")
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    Did I miss a message where someone confirmed them as a playable race? I thought it was just the npc like haer'dalis is a tiefling.
    i remember reading playable race somewhere...maybe i got it wrong
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Tomarctus We've been told that a shaman will be a playable class. So, not only there will be a shaman NPC in SoD, you'll be able to make a shaman charname.

Trent Oster said that people would be "buckets of pissed" if they found out they couldn't play a shaman through the series.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/665663#Comment_665663

So, there will be a patch that will bring the shaman class to BGEE (so that it could be imported to SoD) and there will be a similar patch for BG2EE.

During the QA it was revealved BG2EE will be updated so that shaman charnames can be imported.

According to Avenger_teambg, "the druid grove could be used. The shaman is most close to the druid (spells, hit points) so, it would be the natural choice."

Because there's a talk about a stronghold, it's clear your charname will be able to be a shaman.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/663767/#Comment_663767
    i googled now and i don't see an official statement about goblins being a playable race.

sooo..maybe this thread should get a new title. i still think that the point stands even if only m'khiin will be in the "player character" mold.

as a level 10 shaman she will be a god to the rest of the goblins.
  • TomarctusTomarctus Member Posts: 49
    @bengoshi

I asked about goblins (race), not shamans (class). I read that bit already thanks to your excellent stickypost =p.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Sure ok.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    bob_veng said:

that's it basically. goblins in the first dungeon (and many other places) don't have tho be the bottom-rung, they can be distinguished goblin mercenaries.

And they should be named Kevin, Stuart, and Bob. :smile:
    edited August 2015
    yeah, sure :smile:

edit: or maybe goblinized to k'heviin, stugh'ryt and obbo
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2015
    That would probably require a lot of rewriting, it would be odd doing a solo-goblin run with all those commoners running to you and asking for help.

"Greetings, noble goblin, would you help me in my fight to free the fair Dynaheir from the clutches of some foul monsters?"

But yeah, a few shamans or interesting goblins as enemies could be a nice touch.