Skip to content

You should seriously reconsider extending level cap.

Sophiel777Sophiel777 Member Posts: 54
Why?

Some people prefer full parties. For them, achieving max level with all characters is unlikely even if they pick them all up right at the start of the game.

However, some of us prefer smaller parties. Or even going solo. I'm one of those players who prefers to "do everything, go everywhere" in any game I play. When I achieve max level, the rest of the game becomes an unnecessary grind. The only thing left for me to do is to collect items and advance with the story. I feel like collecting experience had been taken away for me.

For me, experience rewards have always been too big. But there's no way to change it now. The only solution is to install an option to remove (or seriously extend) level cap. I know there are mods for this, but i was hoping for a more official response.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    First of all, there won't be a level cap in SoD, there will be an XP cap in SoD.

We've been told that the Devs had discussions about how they would make it work if you can gain a couple more levels than SoA expects. They've put in some work on that front and they're expecting it won't be an issue.

There will be an XP can in SoD, so that we'll be able to get the 12th level for out thieves. This requires 440 000 XP. If it's a character with another class, the exact maximum level will differ.

So, the XP cap in SoD will be significantly higher than the XP of BG1 with TotSC (160 000 XP).

Check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40963/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-previously-known-as-the-adventure-y-project#latest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Hm I almost always play with full parties and never had any trouble getting to the TOTSC XP cap as a completitonist. 161K is easy to reach in BG1.

The fact we're running into a cap isnt a party size issue its just what the design required to balance BG2's early game.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    dunbar said:
    As was mentioned in a different thread, this mod will still work/only need minor changes to work in SoD.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The XP you earn beyond the 161k cap in BG1 isn't wasted. The game still keeps track of the excess, and you'll get the benefit of the extra you accumulate when you move on to BG2. So, my guess is that in SoD you'll get the benefit of what you've gathered, as well.

I've heard conflicting reports about how much gets carried over. In my own testing it seems to keep track of all of it. I created a level 1 PC in BGEE, used the console to give him 1 million XP, then saved and imported the character into BG2EE. The character had the entire 1 mill I had given him in the first game.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I did not know that, thanks!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Thank you, @Faydark . It has finally answered one of the most interesting questions for me. Back in the day, elminster, I and several others while discussing the totemic druid solo run, couldn't find the answer.

Now, it is basically clear.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Here's some more info that may or may not be helpful:

1) I have a BG:EE quick-save made during the final battle with Sarevok. All characters had hit the XP cap well before entering the temple.

I loaded that save, exported my main char and imported it to BG2:EE. It starts the game with exactly 161,000 XP.

In conclusion: even if BG:EE is keeping track of XP gained over the level cap, this information is either not imported onto or not used by BG2:EE.

2) I also have the Final-Save from this game. I used it to import my char onto BG2:EE and on this case, his XP is 167,884.

Opening this Final-save on EEKeeper shows that all 6 chars have this exact amount of experience.

I can upload those saves in case anyone wants it.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    @bengoshi why thieves though? Druids reach level 12 at 300k, well before the thief (440k), and a 300k cap would mean all classes get one extra level over bg1ee/totsc.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Iroumen in dev interviews and posts they mention "several" and "some" classes will reach level 12. So, unless that's just "generic dev speak", or they change their minds, we can assume that some number of classes with the lowest XP requirements to reach level 12 will do so.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    There are developer quotes that specifically mention thieves reaching level 12 (i.e not just druids).

Also quotes that state no class will reach level 13.

So we can pin the xp cap within a fairly narrow range.

Look at the discussions from just after SoD was anounced.
    lroumen said:

@bengoshi why thieves though? Druids reach level 12 at 300k, well before the thief (440k), and a 300k cap would mean all classes get one extra level over bg1ee/totsc.

@lroumen I've written about thieves because @elminster confirmed specifically that thieves/bards won't be able to go over level 12.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/656013/#Comment_656013
    Ah, but strict by the letter that does not necessarily mean they will be able to reach level 12 at all ;).
    @lroumen Another blue post does mean that.

"There will be XP cap instead of the level cap. So you can get level 12th thieves."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/656330/#Comment_656330
    @bengoshi I always read from my mobile phone so I cannot see blue backgrounds. Good to know.