This thread is for official facts ONLY.
New posts will be added with every news available. For discussion, go to http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26673/all-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-adventure-y-the-unofficial-thread-for-this-project
1. This year, the eagerly anticipated Adventure Y will finally navigate the dark underground caverns of development and venture out into the Sword Coast. We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Keep an eye on the Beamblog in late spring for announcements regarding the content and release date of Adventure Y. We have an exciting release planned for this game, something bigger than we’ve ever done before.http://www.baldursgate.com/
The closest thing we have to a release date is (hopefully) sometime in the 2nd half of 2015.
2. The scope of the Adventure Y.
"Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition DLC Content, English: 396,359 words
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: 573,247 words
Adventure Y will come in well above the BGII:EE DLC Content, and somewhere below IWD:EE."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/618298/#Comment_618298 An update from April, 21: "We were so close to beating out IWD in terms of game text. Oh well, I suppose we'll have to settle for almost 500,000 words." http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/632898/#Comment_632898
3. Who will be the main character of this Adventure?
It is CHARNAME from the BG line.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm780aq
4. There will be NPCs in the Adventure Y. The ones we can take into a party.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm7810d
Adventure Y will have at least one new NPC whose name starts with "Gl". Also, there can be more: "There are a few characters in Adventure Y I'm just in love with. One in particular I plan to use as my next PC if I ever find time to get involved in a p&p game again" (Andrew Foley). Maybe in the future this or these NPC (s) will appear in BG2EE.
5. Will the Adventure Y be dubbed?
Yes, we are going to record English voices for the major characters. As for other languages, we'll have to wait and see and the costs are very high for the quality we demand.
We're going to use the BG1 method you reference as our model.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm79l8h
6. Will the Adventure Y be released as a standalone game?
We are still talking this through with everyone involved. So far we are still leaning in the expansion direction.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2msl96/we_are_beamdog_developers_of_baldurs_gate_i_ii/cm77yin
7. The plot.
There’s an idea that the Adventure Y takes place after Sarevok's defeat and shreds some light on those “circumstances much darker than anyone would have thought” under which the Bhaalspawn left for Amn. So this adventure would probably take place between the two games and end with the Bhaalspawn getting captured by Irenicus.
It’s interesting to take into account that TrentOster - after looking (6 September 2013) at a feature request of an interlude chapter that narrates the happenings between Sarevok's ending and the capture of the Bhaalspawn by Irenicus - said “Sounds kind of adventurey. Could be a fun concept.” (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/350159/#Comment_350159)
One can interpret “adventurey” as “adventure y”.
8. The writers busy with the Adventure Y.
"Trent laid down the basis for the Adventure Y campaign. I (i.e. Phillip Daigle) am directing Adventure Y, and in doing so provide oversight for game plot and text. Andrew and Amber are the lead writers. Liam has done some writing for Adventure Y, but he's not a full time writer on the project and has other responsibilities.
Most of the development team has contributed to the game text in some way, and after release I'm sure they'll come by to tell you about all the easter eggs they hid in the game."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/614871/#Comment_614871
9. Importing and exporting of your BG saves and the Adventure Y.
"You'll import your BG:EE save, and then you can export from Adventure Y to BG2:EE."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/610307/#Comment_610307
10. Your XP and the Adventure Y.
"We had a lot of talks about how big is too big, how small is too small, and in the end I think people will be pleased with the direction we took.
Early on we had discussions about how we would make it work if you can gain a couple more levels than SoA expects. We've put in some work on that front and we're predicting it won't be an issue.
As for the size of the adventure, Adventure Y has shaped up to be larger than ToTSC but not quite the size of ToB.
From a chronological perspective it happens over a quite limited period of time, so it should fit in nicely with the other games."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/608099/#Comment_608099
11. There will be a shorty NPC or two in the Adventure Y.
"I wouldn't be surprised if CHARNAME encountered a shorty or two hanging around on their journey through Adventure Y."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/605034/#Comment_605034
12. Fan gets to name/design a character
Fan's character will not be a gnome and will be of a playable race (with the hope that someday he is made into an NPC mod).http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/594870/#Comment_594870
13. Its not BG3
14. New music by Sam Hulick
15. Jennifer Hale was talked to at one point about another project (Providing voicework for Dynaheir perhaps?)
16. VO work is being done in both Edmonton and LA.http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/598459/#Comment_598459http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/598441/#Comment_598441
17. BG2EE related reveals.
-Rasaad mentions Jaheira and Khalid being separated at Bridgefort (a stronghold near Boareskyr Bridge)
-Neera mentions Khalid making her soup when they were in Bridgefort
-Neera's ToB quest refers to Charname as the Victor of the Dragonspear Crusadehttp://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/607695/#Comment_607695
18. Adventure Y will use the same ruleset as BG:EE and BGII:EE i.e. you can play all three parts with the same character.
- The Bhaalspawn left Baldur's Gate and travelled to the south. Why? Why did he have to leave?
- This will indeed be explained. One more thing, Bioware kept notes on what happened after BG1 and why the characters ended up where they appear at the start of BG2. Just saying, we're not exactly guessing here.http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/beamdogs-adventure-y-interquel-set-between-bg1-and-bg2.96369/page-2#post-3684770
19. David Warner (Irenicus's voice) comes back.http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/492571/#Comment_492571
20. Trent Oster talked again about the domain buying habit after an idea that the main quest in the Adventure Y will be the Siege of the Dragonspear Castle - the same thing happened with the IWDEE domain.http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/607695/#Comment_607695 http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/607871/#Comment_607871http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/608551/#Comment_608551
21. A hint that the Dynaheir's quest about the Bhaalspawn will be in the Adventure Y.
"You'll note that this doesn't preclude her from searching for Bhaalspawn other than the PC or Sarevok."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/599446/#Comment_599446
22. The period between BG1 and BG2: it's one year.
BG1 starts on the 1st of Mirtul, 1368. BG2 SoA starts on the 1st of Mirtul, 1369. This means that BG1 (and adventure Y) is supposed to take a year (according to the games chronology).
Given that the Bhaalspawn crisis is supposed to be over in 1369 I think if anything there is more leeway in terms of having a game set between the two games, compared to having it set between Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal."http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/607846/#Comment_607846
23. The UI in Adventure Y will be previoosly unseen one, but will include all the enhancements Beamdog made to BGEE and IWDEE.
It comes from the leaked screenshots (now edited out)http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/565436/#Comment_565436
24. There will be both absolutely new locations and remastered and repainted areas from BG1 in Adventure Y.
It again comes from the leaked screenshots (now edited out)
25. There will be new abilities for characters (at least one that looks like a transformation into a goblin) and/or a goblin companion.
It again comes from the leaked screenshots (now edited out)
26. Developers think that a price of 17 USD at least would be fair
27. How about a SoA->ToB expansion?
If Adventure Y is a success I would like to do a SoA->ToB expansion. This isn't a guarantee or promise, but rather something I'd (Phillip Daigle) personally like to do.http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/598652/#Comment_598652