Skip to content

The Only Poll That Matters: Are You Buying SoD?

Comments

• Rulke55Rulke55 Member Posts: 32
    You know I once had idea for Pathfinder game based on Red Wizards rebuilding Ulcaster School, destroying Baldur's Gate completely ending it, thus making the are unstable power-wise. The Red Wizards found out a long dormant dragon rest deep under the ruins and it controlled them to do the deed. Of course it was going to screw them over. It was flight of fancy, but Ulcaster school always interest me.
  • ChrisisBChrisisB Member Posts: 5
    Not buying unless it works on my MacOS 10.6.8 (BG 1&2 and Icewind Dale works on that). Still hoping "10.8+" is a misprint for "10.6.8+". Of course might get it for my iPad.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Masks of the Betrayer takes in a trip to Thay (and other rarely seen corners of the realms).
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    How is this the only poll that matters? Don't a lot of other polls matter too?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited July 2015

Nope. :tongue:
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Will be pre-ordering for sure!
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I'll probably end up buying it no matter what, but I'll be waiting until I can see if it's worth the full price or if I should wait and buy it on sale. I love the games, but I waited until all of the currently released enhanced games were on sale before getting them (I couldn't justify spending 20 dollars to buy each of them for just a few new characters and some fancy features when I still have the original games). A completely new expansion may be worth the asking price though, but we'll see.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    This year is the year of expansions it seems, First SoD for BG, then Hearts of Stone for Witcher 3, then the White March for PoE and finally the last DAI DLC, the last might not be a full expansion, but I'm gonna replay DAI for it so it's on the list.

So many expansions, so many games to replay, so much time I'm going to be living off cup ramen noodles to pay for all of this. I'm going to buy all of these as soon as they are out, because I love the base games so how could having more of the games I love be a bad thing. Hell I got the Witcher covered already and can't wait till October for another playthrough.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    After it's available on GOG.com.

1. GOG.com treats their customers extremely well.

2. I only buy games if they're offer DRM free. I consider any retailer that mandates the exclusive use of a proprietary client to download and/or install the games that they sell a form of DRM. If a retailer or publisher expects me to pay to play their game then I feel that I should own it outright, I should never have to "ask for permission" to install or play a game for which I've already paid money. In light of this I only purchase games from GOG.com & once in a while from Humble Bundle if it's a non-Steam game not available on GOG.com. For this reason I have never played a MMORPG nor may I ever play Swordcoast Legends despite the fact that I was very interested in the game when I heard the initial announcement. If anyone is 100% sure that I'm incorrect about it being a Steam exclusive feel free to inform me of such.

3. I legally own the Linux, Windows & MacOS versions at one price; why should I have to pay more for the same program on separate platforms? I run Linux on all my computers and Windows on most of those.

4. See points 1, 2 & 3.

Even if it's not available on GOG.com at initial launch I have no problem waiting for more than a few months for it. It will give Beamdog a chance to patch any of the egregious bugs in the initial release and the mod community time to work on the Enhanced Edition Trilogy. https://github.com/K4thos/EET
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    FYI Beamdog doesn't mandate that you use the client.
    elminster said:

Not that it would make a difference in determining whether or not I purchase it from GOG.com, but Beandog no longer has their Beamdog client? When I read about the Enhanced Editions back in 2012 it lead me to believe that you would have to use Beamdog's client to download and install the games. That was one of the reasons why I didn't purchase either BG:EE or BG2:EE at launch, I waited until the end of last October when GOG.com started selling both those and IWD:EE.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    ill buy 3 copies at least. I'm so excited for this game. I was devastated as a kid when bg3 wasnt made. I seriously remember playing neverwinter nights and breaking shit on my desk. BREAKING SHIT. I've bought 2 of each release cept IWEE (1 copy)
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

elminster said:

Not that it would make a difference in determining whether or not I purchase it from GOG.com, but Beandog no longer has their Beamdog client? When I read about the Enhanced Editions back in 2012 it lead me to believe that you would have to use Beamdog's client to download and install the games. That was one of the reasons why I didn't purchase either BG:EE or BG2:EE at launch, I waited until the end of last October when GOG.com started selling both those and IWD:EE.
    Beamdog gives you the choice of using the client or downloading the game through a direct link. Also the client is only used for installing and updating the game. After they are installed you can play the games without the client running (just make a shortcut to the baldur.exe in the game folder to run it directly), and when a new patch comes out boot up the client to install it.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

elminster said:

You never needed to use the client to buy or play from Beamdog. The client is mearly a convenience.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I'm liying.
    You can't preorder iPad games, but if you could, I will :D
    elminster said:

So after purchasing the game directly from Beamdog one could download the install files and/or patches with a normal web browser, disconnect from the internet, tranfer those files on removable media to another computer that is not connected to the internet, install the game and/or patches & play without having to "phone home" to "ask for permission" like I can with all games that I purchase at GOG.com? If all this is actually true and I can purchase the Linux, Windows & MacOS versions at one price like I can at GOG.com I might be willing to consider purchasing Siege of Dragonspear from Beamdog at launch.
    cmk24 said:

Beamdog gives you the choice of using the client or downloading the game through a direct link. Also the client is only used for installing and updating the game. After they are installed you can play the games without the client running (just make a shortcut to the baldur.exe in the game folder to run it directly), and when a new patch comes out boot up the client to install it.

The "client is only used for installing and updating the game"? That sounds like having to "phone home" to "ask for permission"? That also seems to me to directly contradict what elminster posted above :
    elminster said:

Fardragon said:

You never needed to use the client to buy or play from Beamdog. The client is mearly a convenience.

I didn't post anything about using a client to make purchases, though I did mention "play". Specifically I posted "download and/or install" & "install or play", notice I mentioned "install" twice. In fact here it is in direct context :

I consider any retailer that mandates the exclusive use of a proprietary client to download and/or install the games that they sell a form of DRM. If a retailer or publisher expects me to pay to play their game then I feel that I should own it outright, I should never have to "ask for permission" to install or play a game for which I've already paid money.

Now I'm even more confused regarding this situation. I've received 2 directly contradicting statements regarding Beamdog's client, plus an additional response that doesn't directly address it. I originally had these concerns because I was lead to believe this was an issue before BG:EE was released based on the information that was available at that time on Bemdog's own website listing the use of the Beandog client to download and install the game. I recall other websites also listing this same information such as reclaimyourgame.com. http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/download/PRYG3-00038-01.pdf
    @Dee Thank you very much for that direct response. My confusion regarding the previous responses were due to differences in the install process and the terminology used to describe it. Thank you everyone for your patience regarding my questions.
    Dee said:

So if you bought BG:EE from GOG, you'll probably want to pick up SoD there as well, when it finds its way there.

Thank you again for the additional information, I'll do that. Thank you for "putting up" with me...
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I will pre-order the game. If only to get a new badge on the forum :smile:
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I voted "purchasing at launch" but really what I mean is "purchasing a few days AFTER launch, after the dust has settled and any launch day glitches have been ironed out"
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    I have no choice, the voices in my head said so.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Pre-order. Definitely looking forward to it.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386

Most of the other polls are silly petitions anyway
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    well given that previous releases have suffered from significant bugs and that the new content for bg2EE was underwhelming to say the least, I don't think I could ever purchase this on good faith. I'll wait and see based on feedback.

• ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    kaguana said:

I believe in them, I believe they learn from past mistake, and it seem like it will be great game.

Well, part of the problem was an impatient publisher and as far as I know IWD:EE was bug-free (didn't play
    it myself, I never really got into the original =/), so I trust their coding & debugging teams ^^.

The other thing is the quality of their writing and while I haven't seen the ToB content, the rest was
    something I mostly liked. - Didn't really like Dorn, but not because of bad writing bad because of his
    character, to evil for me, can't stomach him ^_^

So, yeah, I believe this is going to be great ^_^
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    I get my games from gog but I'll also get it here to support them
  • AnomalyAnomaly Member Posts: 62
    Pre-ordering of course... As long as I am sure I can get a Linux version with it.