Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2015
    Adul said:

I've avoided watching a lot of the gameplay footage in order to avoid spoilers, so I'm not very clear on this. Does anyone know how the new UI differs from the old one? I've seen the new journal and character record screens, and the new color picker. Anything else worth of noting?

If you start watching from 2:22:50 (2 hours, 22 minutes, 50 seconds) to 2:31:30 you should avoid all of the gameplay footage and get a good idea of a good chunk of the new UI. Not everything but you'll be able to see the new spellbook, inventory screen, and character record page as well as some extra goodies :) All without seeing any gameplay.

Direct link that place on the stream is here.

• wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311

wojtek said:

3 time i am asking, please answer me, if Kivan shows up in the new game with the new dialogues? #nooberstyle

I could be wrong, but I'm *pretty* sure that, outside of Minsc, we aren't officially revealing exactly which characters and actors are returning for Siege of Dragonspear for awhile yet. I'm reasonably sure a fair amount could be gleaned from the trailer and demos last night, but the official cast list is To Be Announced. I think. It's been a loooong week.
    thanks for answer, i reaally hope that Kivan is coming back, he is so cool , i think he is very baldursgate'y, and think that it would be cruel to not have him again in expansion with the new dialogues

• LordInsaneLordInsane Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2015

wojtek said:

3 time i am asking, please answer me, if Kivan shows up in the new game with the new dialogues? #nooberstyle

I could be wrong, but I'm *pretty* sure that, outside of Minsc, we aren't officially revealing exactly which characters and actors are returning for Siege of Dragonspear for awhile yet. I'm reasonably sure a fair amount could be gleaned from the trailer and demos last night, but the official cast list is To Be Announced. I think. It's been a loooong week.
    Technically I'm not sure you have officially revealed if Minsc and actor is returning (showing up amongst the Six on the Right being a reveal would official reveal a more few returning characters if not actors), though it is implied, there were, if I recall correctly, previous pre-title-reveal hints, and I might have missed something during the stream.
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    it's obvious he's coming back, minsc is even in the trailer, don't let me down with Kivan :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @elminster Thank you for the link, that was very interesting.

To offer my own feedback to whom it may concern, I think I would prefer to keep the current inventory, spell book, and character record layouts, as right now they have all the information available in a simple, dense, concise manner, which might not be easy for new players to get used to, but it seems like it is easier to access for people who are already very familiar with these games.

E.g. I would rather see all my spells as just icons in one screen instead of having to scroll through a list to find them. Similarly, I prefer having all my character information in one scrolling text field instead of in many different tabs.

And I really like the EE-exclusive feature of being able to see how each piece of equipment affects my stats (including more obscure ones like APR) right from the inventory screen. I think I would miss that if it were gone.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    @Delvarian I'm so happy to see all our shorty dreams are coming true QQ
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    Wow, excellent - very excited and thankyou to the Beamdog team for superb hard work.
    UI/useability improvements, so much new stuff plus cool new Imoen portrait. win! (Am I greedy if I ask any chance of AOE spell radius indicator, in the spirit of useability-for-newbies?)
    Will onscreen character health bars show up while holding TAB if they are otherwise set to off?
    The leader, the Shining Lady, is reminiscent of Melissan - I wonder if people may confuse them.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    "I'll give you once chance, monster: Cast aside your false prophet and run, now, or die by my hand."

"Forgive me, dragon. I misspoke. What I meant was, you don't want to fight ME."

Sweet! :smiley:
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    +1 to the general ambience of congratulations! It's looking good, Beamdog!
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    edited July 2015
    Quartz said:

Vallmyr said:

TINY ADORABLE GOBLIN GIRL AND GNOME GUY!? HNNNNGGG TOO CUTE. /loves shorties

You have no idea. I am so so so proud of those characters, I can't wait for you to meet them.

Hell, three shorties. I dig that. I'm just worried… On a scale of Hexxat (sucks really bad) to Jaheira (really good writing), how is their dialogue?
    I hope he takes another scale since I think hexxat is not really bad.. and Jaheira is NO WAY that good..
    Meh, I guess it comes down to personal preference =P

@AndrewFoley Well.. technicly you guys announced the return of every character, you just didn't say
    anything about voice actors and little about additional banter.. (But I'm pretty sure you will give new
    banter to everyone and not just one or two) ^^

And lastly, I'm looking forward to SoD more than ever.. thank you for your hard work till now =^_^=

Have a nice weekend =)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    all that cool stuff man... I wish it could get transferred over to BG2:EE... maybe some day.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I get you guys aren't going to give details on a release date yet as you likely don't know at this point and totally understand you don't want to commit to anything.

However do you have a forecast for expected release at all? Q3 of this year? Q4? Next year? Before 2020?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Given their track record of releasing things in the late autumn or winter, I'd say they will continue the trend.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2015

Did I read that right? The Shaman is a "Class"? Not a "Kit"? Really?! I sure hope so. Because that would open for a *lot* more custom kit possibilities than currently possible. The more true to its AD&D counterpart it remains, the better. Especially when it differiate between spirits of the dead, animal spirits and spirits of nature. That would be sweet~

The Shaman class is basically a divine sorcerer. All the rest is moddable.
    Ah-ha, so it is based on the 3.5 edition class!

Which presumably would make Favoured Soul moddable too.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

kaguana said:

Great job can't wait to play it, tho I do wonder with this new expansion coming up is the graphic quality of BGEE gonna be improve ?

Yes. All of the rendering upgrades we've made to Dragonspear will be applied to BG:EE, since Dragonspear is an extension of the base game. The base artwork of BG:EE will not change, but how we render sprites is vastly improved.
    Do you plan to update/patch BG:EE with the new IE improvements *before* DoS? Or will this update come with the expansion?

A.k.a: should I hold off starting a new game and wait for the next patch (and still be able to finish in time for DoS release date), or should I just start a new game now?
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    Speaking of the new portraits, some of those faces look familiar. :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    decado said:

I get you guys aren't going to give details on a release date yet as you likely don't know at this point and totally understand you don't want to commit to anything.

However do you have a forecast for expected release at all? Q3 of this year? Q4? Next year? Before 2020?

At the start of his QA on Twitch just after the initial announcement, Trent said their aim was to release Dragonspear this year, but they will take the time necessary to finish the game. So I think they're currently aiming for Q4 2015.
  • ZarugalZarugal Member Posts: 51
    I know you guys at Beamdog are very proud of the new UI, and a lot of people (new and old alike) are also impressed, but for us luddites who like the BG:EE and BG2:EE UI will there be the option to run using the current (old) UI, or is it going to be a forced update?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So, the Adventure Y turned out to be the new expansion for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. That's awesome, having something new in fresh in our Baldur's Gate. It will feel awkward, thought, playing a whole expansion in English when the rest of my game is Polish.