Skip to content

All you wanted to know about Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear ("Adventure Y" previously)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited June 2015
    The Adventure Y will be a new game, i.e. a different exe. file, while ToB is a part of BG2EE game. Phillip Daigle on the page 79 of this thread uses the words "import your game from BG:EE" and "start a new game".

So I understand that the transition between BG1EE and the Adventure Y will be like the one between BG1 and BG2 is performed now.
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    i suppose , we forum members, get some info about adventure y a little bit earlier , right @PhillipDaigle ?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

to call the infinite wisdom of boo "no higher than semi-intelligence", shame on you! :wink: he knows so much about the universe, aside from, obviously, being magical. A nearly divine entity like him simply can not fit into the scheme of a standard spell. Much less at 1st level.

P. S. (now, don't take this comment too seriously. just because your heart is not beating, doesn't mean it can't be hurt)

Yeah.
    His stats are the following in my headcanon

Str: Infinite
    Dex: Infinite
    Con: Infinite
    Int: 3
    Wisdom: Infinite
    Cha: Infinite

So he has infinite wisdom but only semi-intelligence!
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    bengoshi said:

The Adventure Y will be a new game, i.e. a different exe. file, while ToB is a part of BG2EE game. Phillip Daigle on the page 79 of this thread uses the words "import your game from BG:EE" and "start a new game".

So I understand that the transition between BG1EE and the Adventure Y will be like the one between BG1 and BG2 is performed now.

But will I be able to "just keep going" from BG1 or will I have to use new NPC:s (i.e. will there be a limit on the number of playable NPC:s)? And importing is such a hassle... /J
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    wojtek said:

i suppose , we forum members, get some info about adventure y a little bit earlier ?

Because everything is written on this forum (except for the closed areas for moderators and beta-testers) is open and available in the google search, I think that the "information embargo" acts fully regarding this forum as well.

The other thing is that if you're a forum member, you'll most likely read about any news faster than those who only follow the process from time to time on videogames media sites and such. For example, I'm sure that the nature of how we've discussed all the tweets available shows that every bit of information is available on the forum as soon as it's available in principle.

The fact Beamdog used a newsletter last week shows the way they could use to announce about the Adventure Y.

I guess it will be a lauch of a new site, a newsletter and a forum announcement all made together.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    MrSexton said:

bengoshi said:

But will I be able to "just keep going" from BG1 or will I have to use new NPC:s (i.e. will there be a limit on the number of playable NPC:s)? And importing is such a hassle... /J
    The answer to this was previously posted by @PhillipDaigle

If you import your game from BG:EE, the party you had in that save will automatically be present at the start of Adventure Y.

If you start a new game you're given a starting party based on your alignment, and there is an option that allows you to remove those party members before starting the game if you would prefer to go solo.

There is one caveat: While your party WILL be present at the start of Adventure Y, the availability of all BG:EE companions throughout Adventure Y isn't guaranteed.

MrSexton said:

bengoshi said:

We just have wait and see, I guess. The only thing we know is that "your party WILL be present at the start of Adventure Y, but the availability of all BG:EE companions throughout Adventure Y isn't guaranteed." So it looks like any NPC presented in BGEE and thus in your particular party who defeated Sarevok, will be transferred to the Adventure Y when you import the save. But what will happen next, I guess, is the essential part of the Adventure Y plot, of which we know close to nothing. Whether or not Phillip Daigle used "BG:EE companions" phrase with the emphasis on "EE companions" (including Baeloth), or not (thus meaning every vanilla companion as well), remains to be seen.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited June 2015
    shawne said:

bob_veng said:

but having dorn instead of minsc seems like a no-brainer

Except that Dorn's been busy following Ur-Gothoz's increasingly dangerous commands - that's the trigger for his SoA quest. He couldn't have been doing all that if he's been stuck with you the whole time.
    i just thought a bit about it and have come to the conclusion that his writing can always be changed and/or his obligations to ur-gothoz can be presented in the form of character quests

we have been told that *not all* characters will follow you through the whole game - that means that *some certainly will*

so we can conclude that there will be a parting event in which those characters that are destined to leave definitely leave but those that are supposed to stay will stay

after the parting event, there will be available characters for you to have a full party

so for example, if your party was made of characters that later make it to amn and act there as non-joinable npc's, we can presume that, at that point, you will be left solo.
    then the game will make five characters available for you
    this will be done via some plot device - they have independently banded up in order to do something and stumbled upon you, they have banded up in order to seek your help etc

if you had one of those five characters already with you, four of the other ones will be made available

in order to prevent things from being absurdly rigid and forcing you to play a portion of the game with a predetermined party (the canon one), more than five characters will be available

these characters that will be available after the "parting event" could very well be the "new canon" (or "expanded canon") characters. you will be able to finish AdY with them.

those characters that you finish AdY with are those that are captured by irenicus.

so if they are different from the SoA canon characters, will you AGAIN not have continuity in BG2?

no way. then what's the point of adventure y? i seriously don't even want to see it if there's ZERO advancement on that front

something will have to be done to establish a larger (at least by a little bit) degree of bg:ee-bg2:ee continuity because that's what serious players have wanted for ages, especially the earlier generations of players that were disappointed with that aspect of bg2 upon it's release. many developers also belong to that generation of players and probably think likewise.

so i make the following prediction: dorn will be one of the characters that you can finish AdY with, he will be captured by irenicus, and he will then also be present at the start of BG2.

BG2 will get a DLC to enable this.

edit: same goes for neera, rasaad and possibly baeloth
    the same might go for *some but certainly not all* of the following: Alora, Branwen, Eldoth, Kagain, Kivan, Shar-Teel, Skie, Xan, and Yeslick (because they don't feature in bg2:ee in any way)
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    bengoshi said:

wojtek said:

i suppose , we forum members, get some info about adventure y a little bit earlier ?

Because everything is written on this forum (except for the closed areas for moderators and beta-testers) is open and available in the google search, I think that the "information embargo" acts fully regarding this forum as well.

The other thing is that if you're a forum member, you'll most likely read about any news faster than those who only follow the process from time to time on videogames media sites and such. For example, I'm sure that the nature of how we've discussed all the tweets available shows that every bit of information is available on the forum as soon as it's available in principle.

The fact Beamdog used a newsletter last week shows the way they could use to announce about the Adventure Y.

I guess it will be a lauch of a new site, a newsletter and a forum announcement all made together.
    and maybe something more , because they said this release will be something bigger they have ever done :)
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

bengoshi said:

The question is: how the situations when you don't import a save into the Adventure Y will be dealt? I guess there will be some sort of a ToB-like operation to summon NPCs from BG1 pool for this adventure.

If you import your game from BG:EE, the party you had in that save will automatically be present at the start of Adventure Y.

If you start a new game you're given a starting party based on your alignment, and there is an option that allows you to remove those party members before starting the game if you would prefer to go solo.

So if I finish BGEE using Elminster from the Easter egg trick, I'll be able to start Adventure Y using Elminster? Sweet!
    Elminster in Adventure Y confirmed!
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    bengoshi said:

Congratulations, you found out RX Racing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    procco said:

So if I finish BGEE using Elminster from the Easter egg trick

Huh?
    i suppose ctrl+q'd characters won't be imported
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    elminster said:

procco said:

Huh?
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/4564/easter-eggs-in-baldurs-gate-spoiler/p9
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Adul said:

The evil alternative canon party idea sounds fun. Maybe Dorn and Viconia instead of Minsc and Jaheira. Imoen doesn't seem like she's replacable without breaking the BG2 plot, though.

Last i seen this, there are more than 2 combos, not just a simple evil alternative.

Last i seen this, there are more than 2 combos, not just a simple evil alternative.

awesome!

sooo
    - you can finish the game with a party assembled from a pool of available characters and not just predetermined selections of characters
    - that party will get captured by irenicus (with some characters potentially dying in the process)
    - will this carry over to bg2:ee on import? dlc?

edited June 2015
    procco said:

elminster said:

procco said:

Huh?
    http://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/4564/easter-eggs-in-baldurs-gate-spoiler/p9
    Except for maybe @Mystra

That easter egg got me thinking.

Could it be that Elminster is best friends with Alora?!

@elminster confirm/deny?!
    I'm referring to Elminster (the well known imposter) of course. elminster is still working on Adventure Y. :)

*Goes back to work*
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited June 2015
    cmk24 said:

bengoshi said:

I remember people making predictions about the final word count;) I think nobody guessed it right, though;) But, for the sake of the contest, could the exact figure be revealed? 500 001 is already more than 500k. Or maybe 500 500?;)
    Well it looks like my guess of 422,424 was too low... At least I was within an order of magnitude :P
    Pessimist:).

• WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    MrSexton said:

Do we know if the transistion från BG1 to Adventure Y will be seamless the way it is from SoA to ToB or will we have to import/start anew? /John

@MrSexton Wha.. whu wh.. wuuh wa? *confused* what does /John mean? *googly eyes*

bengoshi said:

Congratulations, you found out RX Racing.
    As long as I found something like this, I'm fine.

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    *Thinks about digging up the potatoes and roasting the next sacrificial offerings, after skinning them alive of course.*
    edited June 2015
    Anduin said:

*Thinks about digging up the potatoes and roasting the next sacrificial offerings, after skinning them alive of course.*

Potatoes: Laddie, ye cannot be spectin us to just get roasted into a bunch of wee little spuds. We will not stand fer such a thing!
    Post edited by elminster on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Hmm... maybe a sacrificial 'stew' might work... carmelized garlic and onions, in a beef and potatoe stew seasoned liberally with fresh basil and parsely is quite convincing. Add tomatoe, broth, and bkack pepper to taste.

This is one of those recipes were you pre-fry the garlic, onions, and beef. Its more work, but its what seperates the 'really convincing' sacrifice from the 'how many children do you want me to sign over to you?' type sacrifice.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Yeah, would sure be nice to finally have a unified set of portraits and soundsets across all BG games. One can only hope. And complain.
    "I'll attend to it in a Trice."

That foppish snobby noble-like soundset I think they introduced in BG:EE? That's literally how I always imagined Val'myr to sound like. Would be great to have that soundset in default BG2:EE.