Skip to content

Dragonspear Screenshot Analysis

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2015
    What bugs me about that quote is that "...give Dynaheir and I some time..." is grammatically incorrect! It should be "...give Dynaheir and me some time...". I know it's Minsc-like to make grammatical errors in speech, but that *particular* error doesn't seem very Minsc-like to me. I don't think the Minsc character messed it up at the decision of the writer, I think *the writer* messed it up through carelessness, and that's not cool.

I don't know, it's just one of my pet peeves how often people mess up their cases in compound subjects and objects. This one is the indirect object of the verb "to give", and so should be in objective case.

BTW - I hope Dynaheir gets her Elizabethan archaic English right this time. But I guess that's too much to ask. :)
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2015
    actually Dynaheir and I is grammatically correct

-edit nevermind no it isnt in this context
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    'Dynaheir and myself' may be more accurate. *shrugs* I'm no grammar nazi, though, so I'm not bothered by it.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

I just noticed.

"I long to see fresh air again, and give Dynaheir and I some time to rest! Even mighty berserkers can tire of adventuring..."

Way to rub the salt in the wound, Beamdog, and remind us all that Minsc isn't actually a berserker. D:

Maybe he is if you put him in hide armor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBUGQkpk3RE
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Nimran said:

'Dynaheir and myself' may be more accurate. *shrugs* I'm no grammar nazi, though, so I'm not bothered by it.

That's actually the only grammatically correct choice; you need a reflexive pronoun to convey the intended meaning. Minsc is giving himself something (in this case, some time to rest).
  • Scottfree9000Scottfree9000 Member Posts: 18
    Wow! Today the 13 year old died in me. pfft bear skins
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    rorikon said:

So, can we comment on those Adventure Y pictures posted last year? They make a lot more sense now given what's been revealed since. I'm somewhat surprised no one else has brought it up...

This image is still in the main thread, alongside a few others.

Now we know that the goblin character selected IS a playable npc, and that the weird dancing icon is probably to toggle the stationary summoning mode on and off. Also she can detect traps, which seems to discredit the theory that the shaman class is just a glorified druid kit like barbarian, since it's clearly got radically different abilities from druids, and it can even use different weapons (she's wielding axes).

Of course the shaman class could have changed radically since this was posted 8-9 months ago, but it's still interesting I think.

This saddens me.. It is way to true and thus we will not get a dance ability =/

Anyways, good catch, I completly forgot about that, thanks for shedding news on shaman =)
    (You might want to mention that in the Shaman thread btw..)

But detecting traps does make sense in a way.. it is hard to hide stuff from the spirits who ann.. guide
    a shaman. ^^
  • ExileExile Member Posts: 21
    Many people in this thread already said that Glint's portrait doesn't fit. I agree and I'll add to that: It looks more like actual photo of someone then portrait. :D

I hope it's only beta portrait, but I hardly think so.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

I just noticed.

"I long to see fresh air again, and give Dynaheir and I some time to rest! Even mighty berserkers can tire of adventuring..."

Way to rub the salt in the wound, Beamdog, and remind us all that Minsc isn't actually a berserker. D:

@Nonnahswriter Actually, Beamdog doesn't put anything new here. We shouldn't forget the Minsc's words from the start of BG2:

"You... have brushed me aside with your words. You won't help... Boo can see it now! You do not intend to cut my chains! You only intend to yank them! I will make sure that you do not live long enough to abandon more friends! I will... I will... I will do all of this as soon as I get these bars open! RRAAAARRGH!!! The bars! They bend and twist with my berserker strength! Minsc and Boo are free! Now you will... nuh... now... Ooooh! Ohhh hoho... you are a smart one. I understand now! You said what you did just to get me mad! Mad enough to break free! Haha! You are as smart as Boo sometimes! Now we can resume our adventures together! There are friends to avenge and villains to smack about the face and neck! Right Boo?

So, it's absolutely valid for Minsc to call himself a berserker.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yes that is the most likely cause (I actually encountered it a few days ago during testing and wondered what the heck was causing it).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Picture quality in that screenshot is poor. The actual screen of a game is clearer.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Ardanis said:

Unless something changes or there's something I am blissfully unaware of, there will be XP cap instead of the level cap. So you can get level 12th thieves, but not level 1th fighters.

Could we get verification of the Fighter level typo please? Level 10th, Level 11th, Level 12th...?

Or are Fighters really going to be restricted to first-th level? ;)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Nimran , you're right, it should be the reflexive "myself" in that Minsc quote, because the whole sentence is "I long to see fresh air again, and (to) give Dynaheir and myself some time to rest."

The secret to getting compound subjects and objects right is to take out the other subject or object. "I long to give myself some time to rest."

So I didn't get it right the first time, either. Shame on me. It's embarrassing to correct an incorrect usage with another incorrect usage. I guess the potential for embarrassment is why most people refuse to bother with it. But I still think it makes a writer look very unprofessional to have unintended incorrect usage, which is why we have proofreaders and editors.

Part of the trouble with this particular one is that you could argue that Minsc is uneducated, and wouldn't get it right any way. I still think it's actually careless writing in this case, and they should change it to be correct. It definitely jars my immersion to see dialogue in a game that contains misspellings and non-dialect based incorrect grammar. It's usually pretty obvious when the writer has made the mistake and not the character, even when a writer is having the character speak with an accent.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Interesting... A bonebat serves a powerful undead, much like a familiar...

*Gasp*

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/batbone.php

I want a battlebat! I WANT A BATTLEBAT ! ! !
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    bengoshi said:

Here we see a "Bonebat" as a most powerful enemy defeated. A Bonebat? @Anduin should look at this!

It's just a typo. That's actually Bo Nebat, a half-orc bandit players encounter on one of the new maps.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    NO! GIVE ME POWA! I WILL HAVE A BATTLEBAT ! ! !
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    RAM021 said:

Ardanis said:

Unless something changes or there's something I am blissfully unaware of, there will be XP cap instead of the level cap. So you can get level 12th thieves, but not level 1th fighters.

Could we get verification of the Fighter level typo please? Level 10th, Level 11th, Level 12th...?

Or are Fighters really going to be restricted to first-th level? ;)
    The typo lies in the "Fighter" and this is actually the confirmation of the "Malcanters student" kit for mages u_u
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Are there any clearer screenshots floating around somewhere? I just wanted to try and compare them with current screenshots of BGEE to see the improvements in the sprite rendering/smoothing in SoD :)
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    Madrict said:

Are there any clearer screenshots floating around somewhere? I just wanted to try and compare them with current screenshots of BGEE to see the improvements in the sprite rendering/smoothing in SoD :)

siegeofdragonspear.com
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    Parys said:

Madrict said:

siegeofdragonspear.com
    Ah thanks, cool I will have a look now and see if I can spot a difference lol

• billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361

Nice catch on the Glyph of Warding Jaheira isn't supposed to have.

@Avenger_teambg It's not a bug; it's a feature!