Skip to content

Advent Calendar with SoD-Screenshots, yes please? :3

As people all around the internet (or mainly this forum) have noticed: It's high time for some news/eye candy. :smile: I can understand that you guys are probably working hard on the game even as I write this, I've had an idea (kinda late, sry):
Why not keep people happy with an advent calendar, showing us a new screenshot (or voice acting line, that'd be awesome, too!) each day and maybe, maybe something special on the twenty-fourth. It'll have bigger impact than releasing them in one swoop. Christmas is the time when dreams come true, right Beamdog? :wink: After all, grownups love a nice calendar just as much as kids do! :grin:
GallowglassAbelSam_rorikonWithinAmnesiaDanathionFaydarkteenpartyArunsuncmk24GemHoundDetectiveMittensButtercheeseAnduinwubbleNonnahswriterthe_spyderSkatanCrevsDaak[Deleted User]

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

After all, grownups love a nice calendar just as much as kids do! :grin:

When the calendar is about BG, I love it more than any kid would love any calendar.
    justfeelinathome[Deleted User]
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I'm more than happy with this! :smiley: Didn't expect anything, actual to show up in here.
    You're a saleswoman, too: Now I'd definitely want to get the magazine (and will). Thank you for sharing, everything is appreciated. :grin:
    JuliusBorisovButtercheese[Deleted User]
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    Can we add some Christmass thing non-related to SoD ? Just to set the mood. Maybe we could all make something till 24th.
    justfeelinathomeJuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    edited December 2015
    @Amber_Scott It's not just in line with your humor. I loved that bit in BG1 to a great extent! The way the quest is presented (panicking merchant and all) and especially the dialogue options on first encountering Melicamp make it just memorable. Also, with a (tiny) chicken quest present in BG2 it only serves the sake of continuity. :joy:

Should the hypothetical day ever come that I'll forget all about BG (it won't), I will certainly think, when spotting it in a classics collection: "Oooh, wasn't that the game with the talking chicken in it?" :smile:
    JuliusBorisovAmber_Scott[Deleted User]
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    That's fascinating! Thanks very much, @Amber_Scott!

But ... it's an unnerving precedent to draw inspiration from The 13th Warrior. Obviously you and Mad love it, but you do realise that it was the worst commercial failure in the whole history of movies, don't you? There again, if your efforts now inspire gamers to watch the movie, maybe you can suddenly transform it from "notorious flop" to "cult classic" ... and Touchstone Pictures might owe you a favour. And a commission.
    AbelJuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    To be fair, many reviews of the 13th Warrior did say that the sets were best part of the movie. :wink:
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513

There again, if your efforts now inspire gamers to watch the movie, maybe you can suddenly transform it from "notorious flop" to "cult classic" ... and Touchstone Pictures might owe you a favour. And a commission.

I like the way you think...
    NonnahswriterGallowglass[Deleted User]
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

On the First day of Christmas,
    My Beamdog sent to me
    ... (etc., etc.) ...

On the Twelfth day of Christmas,
    My Beamdog sent to me
    Twelve portraits picting
    Eleven screenshots teasing
    Ten gazebos attacking
    Nine backstories arcing
    Eight clips a-streaming
    Seven rings enhancing
    Six sounds a-playing
    Five magic spells
    Four joining bods
    Three fixed bugs
    Two subquest chickens
    And a short story in Dragon+

yir right..

pics or it didn't happen.......
    ButtercheeseGallowglass
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

It's been a long week and I'm blanking on any stories I can tell. I'll try to come up with a few more before Christmas, though. :)

The office here closes up on the 19th so that will be our "final" day before the holiday break.

Ok here's a minor fact, not SoD related, but... Last year I wanted to do a "Twelve Days of Midwinter" calendar featuring Alveus Malcanter doing a bunch of winter activities tied to Forgotten Realms holidays, but it never got off the ground. Boo.

I haven't followed SoD that closely, but is there a reason for Glint Gardnersonsons name? The two 'son' after each other? Coming from a Nordic country, it's a bit of an eye sore, unless there is a specific meaning behind it? :smile:
    brus[Deleted User]
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I liked 'The 13th Warrior' :smile:
    Amber_Scott
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    SionIV said:

It's been a long week and I'm blanking on any stories I can tell. I'll try to come up with a few more before Christmas, though. :)

The office here closes up on the 19th so that will be our "final" day before the holiday break.

Ok here's a minor fact, not SoD related, but... Last year I wanted to do a "Twelve Days of Midwinter" calendar featuring Alveus Malcanter doing a bunch of winter activities tied to Forgotten Realms holidays, but it never got off the ground. Boo.

I haven't followed SoD that closely, but is there a reason for Glint Gardnersonsons name? The two 'son' after each other? Coming from a Nordic country, it's a bit of an eye sore, unless there is a specific meaning behind it? :smile:
    No no no, don't tell, I want to find out in game!
    [Deleted User]
    edited December 2015

SionIV said:

No no no, don't tell, I want to find out in game!
    Carl Campbellbell.

Or

James Johnsensen

Or

Jan Jansensen

Doesn't that seem strange to you?
    Well, yes, of course, but I bet there is an hilarious story behind it which we will find out about once we actually get to play SoD ;)
    JuliusBorisov[Deleted User]
    edited December 2015

Well, yes, of course, but I bet there is an hilarious story behind it which we will find out about once we actually get to play SoD ;)

Or it's a typo that no one noticed yet? :worried:

And a joke is only fun for so long, while annoyance builds up.
    Notabarbiegirl
    He's a gnome, I think that's the point.
    NotabarbiegirlDanacmAndrewFoley[Deleted User]
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @SionIV - I'll have a guess, although I have no inside knowledge on this issue.

Glint's grandfather was a gardener by trade. He and his wife were unimaginative and couldn't think of a name for their son, so his son was known as Gardnerson (as a substitute for a given name, not as his patronymic). Therefore when Glint came along, his patronymic became Gardnersonson.

(That'd be in accordance with Nordic patronymic customs, wouldn't it?)
    SionIV
    edited December 2015

@SionIV - I'll have a guess, although I have no inside knowledge on this issue.

Glint's grandfather was a gardener by trade. He and his wife were unimaginative and couldn't think of a name for their son, so his son was known as Gardnerson (as a substitute for a given name, not as his patronymic). Therefore when Glint came along, his patronymic became Gardnersonson.

(That'd be in accordance with Nordic patronymic customs, wouldn't it?)

It's almost unheard of to have a Nordic name with 'sonson' at the ending. I haven't heard of a single one myself. This way of naming your children are mostly used in Iceland, and I'm quite sure that there are certain names that aren't 'legal' to use, at least it used to be like this.

When choosing a name, the parents have to stick to a list of legal first and middle names. Currently there are about 1,712 male names and 1,853 female given names on the list.

You also wouldn't use a name that ends with son, or this situation would arise. If we followed Noridc customs, then the correct name would be Gardner, and his child would be Gardnerson.

What if Glints father had a daughter?

Gloria Gardersondaughter

See how it gets really obscure?

It could be interesting to see how this is explained in the game, but if you compare it to real names, it really is an eye sore.
    justfeelinathome[Deleted User]
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    To me, @SionIV , the name of Glint Gardnersonson is a tribute to Terry Pratchett, who died in 2015. This is just the kind of a name Pratchett would use for one of his characters. Can't explain, but this name has felt very Pratchett-ty for me since the very first time I had read it.
    SionIVButtercheeselolienVallmyr