Skip to content

[Fixed] Game returning to desktop after update to Windows 10

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited August 2015 in Troubleshooting
@Gate70
I recently bought a new notebook with a full HD display and have been faced with a problem where all the EE games return to desktop with a notification about the game not being in the ideal resolution. Sorry I don't know the exact message as I use a localized version of Windows.

Here's the .ini file section concerning Graphics and Drivers. I'm also attaching a Dump file from BGEE.

'Graphics', 'version', '4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 0 - build XXXX',
'Graphics', 'renderer', 'AMD Radeon R7 M260',
'Graphics', 'vendor', 'ATI Technologies Inc.',

The problem also happens if I revert to the Intel HD 5500.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could you attach a complete ini file please @mlnevese in case that helps. I'll have a look around and see if there have been similar reports before.

In the meantime you might want to check your graphics card settings. Compatibility profile context 0 sounds as if it might be a configuration setting. e.g. what colour depth is being used, are there settings that force certain options etc.
    Thanks
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2015
    @Gate70 Ini file attached. I'll check the profiles.

The indicated profile is the default AMD Gaming Profile, basically set anti-aliasing, etc. No Color restriction or compatibility modes involved.

The resolution warning was from the Intel HD Driver. Turned it off, still returning to desktop.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2015
    @Gate70 Found a solution. In compatibility mode if you tick "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" you're no longer forced back to the desktop. Looks like the problem is the way Windows 10 deals with scaling in a 1080p resolution...
    Post edited by mlnevese on