Skip to content

Preparing for BG EE: Team building

odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)

Hey all!

I am preparing for the enhanced edition, and looking over the guides here to remember all I can. I'm preparing for my team building, and wanted to run ideas by the board. Mostly, I am looking for ideas for my main characters, as I'm so rusty I'm tempted to retry all of them! Plus never having done BG2, I don't know much about the kits. So my MC's are very much in flux.

Plus, any guessed to what alignments the three new NPC's will be? I'd like to try them out, but hard to plan for them at the moment...

Good Team

MC - I am mostly debating a Cleric (see sixth slot) but not sure if I should hold off for Yeslick. If I do, what fits better here?
Imoen - Thief (Thief/Mage? I hear a lot of good about this, but I usually just use her as my kick butt thief)
Ajantis - Paladin. A personal fave.
Mincs and boo! - Ranger How could anyone NOT use them?
Dynaheir - Mage/Invoker. See above.
Sixth slot is open. Yeslik for healer? Or Coran/Kivan for archer? New NPC?

Neutral Team

MC - I rarely use Neutral teams, so not my strong point. Likely a Fighter, as this team seems to need it.
Xan Mage/Enchanter
Branwen - Cleric
Jaheira - Fighter/Druid
Safana - Thief
Garrick? New NPC?

Evil Team
MC - I keep debating a thief, but not sure whether to be a pure thief or not.
Edwin - Mage/conjurer
Vicona - Cleric
Kagain - Fighter
Shar Teel - Fighter
Montaron/Xzar - I keep debating these two vs the new NPC, Kagain and Shar Teel.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments? Additions? Fire away!

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't form teams by good or bad, so I can't offer any help. In the good team use Yeslick, you need a cleric. In the neutral team go fighter and use Garrick. In the bad team use Montaron, you don't need Xzar and Edwin.
  • AdaramAdaram Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for posting this. I have always kind of played by the seat of my pants, but you've given me something to think about. Here's a link to an interesting discussion on the BSN. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/181/index/4756179/1
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'm making assumptions regarding the alignments of the three new NPCs (namely that Rasaad is Good, Neera is Neutral and Dorn is Evil), but:

Good Team: If your MC is a cleric, you don't need Yeslick or any other healer. Imoen can be dual-classed to mage in order to offset Dynaheir's limitations (as an Invoker, she can't use any summoning or charm spells). You could use the sixth slot for Rasaad.

Neutral Team: I recommend using Neera to shore up Xan's barred schools, but other than that this team is rather solid.

Evil Team: If your MC has the party's primary thieving needs covered, you can ditch Montaron for Dorn; Xzar is obsolete if you have Edwin anyway. Having Kagain, Dorn and Shar-Teel on the front lines will give you a lot of offensive power, so that's a good team to have...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited September 2012
    Your teams seem pretty well balanced if you ask me. Although I would have more of the new content in my teams.

I'll probably building my first team around neutrality or mix between good and evil. New party members obviously, then either one good one evil NPC, or one neutral one and one good one, or one neutral and one evil.

PC - Healer/Tank (fighter/cleric or fighter/druid)
    Dorn - Main Damager
    Rasaad - Alternative damager/backliner (the guy that protects the casters)
    Neera - Alternative caster
    Imoen - Trap/Lock disabler, Archer
    Xzar - Main caster

Sounds balanced enough, if a bit painful in the backlines. Imoen can handle a sword as well though.
    It won't be my first playthrough though, as my first one will be a MP playthrough. That's just my single player idea :)
    edited September 2012
    ME: Fighter
    Viconia Devir: Cleric
    Dynaheir/Xzar/Edwin: Mage
    Minsc and Boo: Backup
    Ajantis/Shar-Teel: Backup
    Imoen/Safana/Coran: Thief

I decided to jump on the bandwagon and share the plans for my BG:EE team. You like?

I can't decide which mage and which thief to use and if I need Ajantis or Shar-Teel. Please tell me the pros and cons! When BG:EE is released I will find out the stats of the new characters.
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    PC - Sorcerer
    Dorn - Fighter
    Neera - Caster
    Rasaad - Fister
    Viconia - Healer
    whoever - Thiefer

Two mages might be too much, so I may go as a Fighter. Maybe Kensai/Mage.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    thanks for sharing, i hope others do too. i am having trouble picking my squad, i want to take almost everyone!

you gonna kill dynaheir but keep minsc?
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Got my 3 teams ready as well ! :p Took me quite some time but I think I'm pretty much settled on them:

Team "kinda good":
    Rasaad
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Branwen
    + PC as CG elf Thief/Mage

Team "kinda neutral":
    Neera
    Coran
    Safana
    Minsc
    Dynaheir
    + PC as N half elf Fighter/Cleric
    Alignments are half good half neutral but I'll really try to play as neutral as possible.

Team "evil":
    Dorn
    Edwin
    Viconia
    Montaron
    Xzar
    + PC as CE... Dunno yet :p Team seems already pretty balanced so I could take anything... Maybe lacking a second melee so Fighter / Mage could be an option.

Overall, teams are balanced and I'll be able to try all 3 romances :)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Adaram said:

Thanks for posting this. I have always kind of played by the seat of my pants, but you've given me something to think about. Here's a link to an interesting discussion on the BSN. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/181/index/4756179/1

Hey look there's me! Ahh the old forums

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    If you use Dynaheir as the sole magic-user of the group you'll lose access to some nice spells, but it shouldn't matter that much and I think you can still cast them from scrolls.
    Thieves are all good and you can get them early enough (although you have to rush the main story a bit to reach Coran soon) to set their skills as you like. Coran has the edge as damage dealer but levels slower as thief and his initial skill distribution is not the best ever, but if you recruit him reasonably early it shouldn't be a problem.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012
    Haha, I thought you were going to create your own mute, min/maxed party, @Ward. It seems balanced enough, but are you sure you don't want to at least try out one of the new NPCs? Edwin is by far the best mage. Non-RP related reasons for taking Dynaheir is to keep Minsc in the party (can be bypassed) or if you play a good party with high rep and evil characters leave (can be bypassed). Xzar is inferior in every way, only reason to keep him for the long haul that I can see is based on RP.

My usual BG1 party is something like:

Me - thief/mage or sorcerer
    Minsc - tank and muscle
    Kivan - ranged damage
    Branwen until we avenge her by killing Tranzig, then switch her for Viconia - healing, utility and offtanking
    Dynaheir - BG1 love interest and damage dealing mage
    Imoen - thief/mage, dualled as soon as traps and locks are maxed at level 7, crowd control mage
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    We have yet to see Dorn, Neera and Rasaad's stats. That'll factor heavily into which one I use on my first playthrough and who they end up replacing.

Probably going to use Dorn. He'll replace Kagain or Shar-Teel off this list depending on what he's best at.

CHARNAME as a Neutral Evil avenger druid. (I'll hack it to be neutral evil if I have to)
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Viconia
    Montaron
    Xzar

Once I get into Baldur's Gate, I'm going to drop Montaron and Xzar for Edwin and Tiax.
    edited September 2012

thanks for sharing, i hope others do too. i am having trouble picking my squad, i want to take almost everyone!

you gonna kill dynaheir but keep minsc?

I don't like killing Dynaheir because she's hot, but I have Viconia so I guess I don't need two hot girls. But the debate is this, which mage is the best? It seems like most people use Edwin.

@Koson Well in your personal opinion, do you need a thief at all? I guess they come in handy for DT. Do you go with Imoen or Safana? I'll ditch Coran because his portrait is weird.

@Shin Naw, if I wanted a max party I'd take Edwin, Kivan, Shar-Teel, Minsc and Kaigan. XD Please can you explain why to use Edwin over Xzar or Dynaheir?

Here is a new list:

Me
    Viconia
    ??? (mage)
    Minsc and Boo
    ??? (back up)
    ??? (thief or second back up)

If thieves are irrelevent, then I can use Shar-Teel or Ajantis. Which of these here should I use in the 'back up' slot and if Imoen and Safana are useless I can use the other in there.

Need to choose a mage.

@sandmanccl Why don't you get Edwin before you get to BG?
    Edwin is one of few mages who has 18 int, but moreover he gets two bonus spells per level, can't really compete with that. And then he has a fun personality on top.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I'll be playing through twice. My first playthrough will be with neutral/good characters and will be as follows:

Me - Human Male Cleric of Helm
    Kivan
    Rasad
    Quayle
    Safana
    Neera

I'll most likely use Kivan as a skirmisher, firing arrows until melee is joined then switching to melee (he does have an 18 str afterall) to help Rasad and myself. Safana will be focused on trap detection and picking locks probably using a bow while Quayle provides healing support and arcane might. Neera will obviously fill the role of main arcane catser.

The second playthrough will be an evil group and will consist of the following:

Me- Half-Orc Female Fighter (Berserker)
    Dorn
    Montaron
    Viconia
    Xzar
    Edwin

Dorn and myself will take on the tanking role (provided Dorn is statted and built the way I suspect he will be) while Montaron focuses on trap detection and lock picking, I'll also be using him to backstab with the use of magical items (boots of stealth etc.) and spells (invisibility) as needed. Viconia will provide helpful buffs and healing while Edwin and Xzar smash everyone with a ridiculous amount of arcane fury.
    Ward said:

@Shin Naw, if I wanted a max party I'd take Edwin, Kivan, Shar-Teel, Minsc and Kaigan. XD Please can you explain why to use Edwin over Xzar or Dynaheir?

@sandmanccl Why don't you get Edwin before you get to BG?

Edwin gains extra spells per day because of his amulet. It's impossible to create a player-made NPC with more spells per day than he has. Plus, he only loses divinations spells which I think in BG1 proper is only Identification. Dynaheir on the other hand is saddled with the single solitary worst mage kit (Invoker has TWO barred schools and both of them are really handy.) Xzar is pretty good but his constitution is terrible so he tends to die a lot early.

Reason I am not going to get Edwin pre-BG is because I'm going to use Montaron and Xzar. They come as a pair and I just don't feel like exploiting the game to remove just Xzar. I am going to replace Montaron with Tiax, so when Xzar leaves I'd go replace him with Edwin.
    @Ward Personally I use him because I find him and his sidequest hilarious - it also helps that he's the best from a min/max perspective of course. Though in BG1 I usually only let him accompany me and Minsc to Dynaheir, and then we drop him and go with her instead. This is because I play with the BG1 NPC Project and usually romance her in BG1, which is ultimately more important than good stats. With her gone in BG2, I always use Edwin unless I'm a mage/sorcerer myself.

From a min/max perspective as stated, he has what is usually considered the best mage kit, he's got 18 int compared to Dynaheir's and Xzar's 17, and he gets the bonus spells on top of that. Not much of a competition unless you have special reasons for wanting one of the others.
    edited September 2012
    @Shin Well that makes it easy for me to choose. I've romanced Dynaheir but I love Viccy too much. She's my one true love (yes I am a hypocrite).

Me: Fighter
    Viconia: Cleric
    Minsc: Backup
    Edwin: Mage

I still can't decide between Shar-Teel and Ajantis. I don't like Kivan much and even though Kaigain is epic with the dex gloves he is boring.

Also not sure about Imoen or Safana. Pros and cons anybody? You got fighter/thieves, Coran and Monty too, but am I right to assume pure thieves do better thievin'?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Ajantis tries to kill Viconia at some point so unless you want to see how that plays out, you shouldn't pair them together. Shar-Teel also needs less statistical help in order to remain viable at the front lines (just pop a constitution potion before the REALLY hard fights).

Also, Minsc and Edwin try to kill each other. Even if you cheat Dynaheir back out of the party, I believe they eventually try to kill each other.

Imoen is >>>>>>>>>>> Safana. Better in every relevant stat. Safana's higher strength only helps her carry weight. Strength doesn't start affecting combat til 16. Imoen can also dual-class without tomes. You can open every chest and disarm every trap with just 4 levels of thief, so I don't see why not. Only thing Safana can do that Imoen can't is her "charm animals" ability. It's rarely handy.

I honestly don't see a reason to be a pure thief in BG1. I guess a pure thief eventually reaches x4 backstabs while a multi-class guy won't, but that multi-class guy will have fighter thac0, better HP and Drizzt's armor. Even multi-classed, you still reach Thief 8 by the end of BG1 as opposed to Thief 10. They are plenty good at "thievin'."
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Me - Paladin
    Imoen - Because she's my sister
    Alora - because I just love the little munchkin
    Kagain - because he's so grumpy
    Edwin - because he's funny (and he likes Alora)
    Viconia - because saving her gives me an excuse to kill a Flaming Fister (I hate those Flaming Fist guys)
    @Permidion_stark I hope Alora likes girls. Edwin is going to be one. Soon. ;)
    Ward said:

@Permidion_stark I hope Alora likes girls. Edwin is going to be one. Soon. ;)

Sadly Alora will never get to see Edwin's feminine side because she doesn't make it into BG2. I'm hoping that may change with BG2:EE but somehow I doubt it.
    @permidion_stark Just put the belt on Edwin in BG1. Why wait until BG2?
    Ward said:

@permidion_stark Just put the belt on Edwin in BG1. Why wait until BG2?

I can't put it on Edwin; Khalid is already wearing it.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    @Anton

Merged the similar threads.
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2012
    Me - Paladin
    Branwen
    Kivan
    Neera
    Coran
    Yeslick/Ajantis/Rasaad

I am trying to go with a good party. I truly have always used what people know as the "canon" BG party so the idea for me is just to use everyone I have never used and break out of my BG "bubble". I am going to try out Rasaad and If I dont like him I am going to replace him with Yeslick or Ajantis. I can't decide. I have also never played an evil party so I will also be trying that:

Shar-Teel
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Dorn
    Safana

I really enjoy reading everyone's teams! It gives me great ideas for future playthroughs.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    My planned first go will most likely be
    PC - LN half-elven priest of Helm
    Kivan
    Coran
    Rasaad
    Xan
    Neera

@Ward Imoen is better than Safana from a gameplay perspective - I used several times Safana for a change and because of her interaction with some of the group NPCs (Coran / Garrick come to mind). IMO all of the game's thieves are good at their job, be they single- or multi-class, so pick the one you like best.

@Permidion_Stark So in your games Jaheira is lesbian? Poor Khalid... :)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Koson said:

@Permidion_Stark So in your games Jaheira is lesbian? Poor Khalid... :)

I think Jaheira would probably like her own belt too.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Just out of a playthrough with a male bard who will only travel with pretty girls. It gave:

Imoen
    Branwen
    Safana
    Shar-Teel
    Viconia

Not the most powerful party, but fun.