Skip to content

Jan Jansen Easter Egg in Neverwinter Nights

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hey, friends, I've been replaying NWN lately, and I just encountered this Jan Jansen Easter Egg in Luskan in Chapter Two of that game. I've tried to take a series of screen shots that will share most of it with all the Jan Jansen fans out there who may never play Neverwinter Nights.

I tried to highlight my responses to all the dialogues. I think they are showing up on the dialogue screens as white text rather than blue, but unfortunately, my in-game pointer and highlighting will not show up on the screen shots.

@Heindrich , and anyone else who may have rejected Neverwinter Nights based on Tord's "IAmNotLilly" Let's Play video, with its zoomed-in, behind-the-shoulder, drive camera perspective, as with a first-person perspective game, I have zoomed out my screen shots in "Top Down" mode in order to attempt to demonstrate that Neverwinter Nights' very easy to use camera controls can duplicate those of Baldur's Gate, if that's the kind of perspective you want, i.e., you can easily play Neverwinter Nights in top-down isometric perspective.

(Neverwinter Nights 2 *can* be played that way, but only with hacking the .ini file to adjust the camera controls manually. Bioware lost an *enormous* percentage of their potential market for NWN2 by programming bafflingly *horrible* camera default - and +, minimum and maximum parameters, into the default control sliders of that game. I am only able to keep playing it to this day because of doggedly determined research into those camera controls in the .ini, and how to change them, because I saw the potential of NWN2 as something I'd really enjoy and keep coming back to. But, I'm only talking about NWN1 here in this thread.)

So, hopefully without much more fanfare, here is my attempt to post the Jansen Easter Egg from Neverwinter Nights 1. It is relevant to a few of the lines that we are in a Luskan den of ill repute, so every time Jansen mentions "chests", it has a double entendre. Also, the idea is that he has become someone who focuses on giving pleasure to women in Luskan at this den of ill repute, and he is giving a quest to Charname to find a piece of jewelry for him that will ingratiate him to one particular woman with whom he's fallen in love.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

That last bit is his response to my telling him I wanted to hire him. Alas, if only I could have Jan Jansen Jr. in NWN with me! :)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    Thanks for sharing your NWN findings, @BelgarathMTH !
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I played that game so many years ago, but don't remember this at all. Thanks for sharing! Jan is indeed one of my favorite NPC's from BG2, if not THE favorite :smiley:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    A chest connoisseur, eh? That sounds like quite a profession. Why become an adventurer with a job like that?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    So, shortly after I first posted this NWN Jansen easter egg thread, I succumbed to my chronic restartitis and rolled a lawful good cleric who could not in good conscience take Erb's quest.

After playing through the snow globe quest in Chapter 3, where a mindfulness towards the peace possible through neutrality comes in very, very handy, I considered myself taught a lesson by the snow globe module, and humbly and penitently went back to my balance-loving and peace-loving druid character.

That character of course has no problem with getting Erb his ring back, so I went and did it. And, lo and behold, he mentions at least three other Jansens in his "thank you" speech.

I will cross-post this in the "Count the Jansens" thread.

imageimage