Skip to content

Some questions about mages and thieves.

RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
Ok, to start off with, i have finished all the BG games - BG1/2/TOB. It was mainly because I set the difficulty to the easiest, used cheesy tactics and had a lot of luck.

Now I want to try to do the game the proper way. But I have a problem with casters. I don't quite understand how they work and how do you play them. It does not matter whether it is a cleric, druid or sorcerer.

My play style with them goes like this, memorize spells, use them in one fight and then rest to make them active again. Sure it works and all, but somehow it gets annoying to take a nap after each fight. Wizards i would understand, but my clerics are there to boost my team and to heal. It is super hard to rely only on health potions. And if my clerics bar is full of healing spells, I cant use any of those party wide buffs or anything. What am I doing wrong? Or is everything more or less fine and normal players also tend to rest after fights? Or do you simply avoid buffing your party members until it is crucial?

Please let me know, I am really curious about what am I doing wrong with casters.

Also, on a side note, is it possible to keep my thief in shadows and searching for traps at the same time? So far whenever i set him to search for traps he starts to leave shadows.

Let me know!
Riderat

Ps. huh, it could be that I should have placed this in the newcomers section. Can mods move this, if necessary please!

Comments

• Which spells are you using? A Wizard who blasts damaging spells all the time will probably run out fast, but often a Wizard can win you a fight with just one or two spells (especially in BGEE), allowing you to save the rest for later. Similarly, Clerics can use Hold Person, Silence, or Command to put the advantage on your side. All of this also reduces the damage you take.

What's your party composition like? A couple of characters with high HP and AC that can tie up enemies work wonders for extending your party's resources. It might be worth making a trip to the Gnoll Fortress relatively early to get the Gauntlets of Dexterity, as most of the warrior-type NPCs in BGEE have either less than stellar Dex or an incentive to wear lighter than plate armor, both of which reduce their potential AC.

I tend to try to finish an entire wilderness area or dungeon crawl without resting, but I also tend to favor parties with a lot of plate-wearing melee fighters. That said, it's not like the game penalizes you for resting a lot aside from the inconvenience, so if that's a playstyle that works for you, you don't necessarily need to change it.

And no, it's not possible to hide and search for traps at the same time, sadly.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for the reply.

Now on my 2nd run I have an

-Undead Hunter (superior stats 19/19/17/14/15/17 took me hour to roll) wearing Full Plate mail and Spidersbane
    -Branwen with Ankheg plate mail and some other goodies, mainly using hammer/shield. Skills I use bless(x2), command, armor of faith(x2), summons, barkskin(x2), chant(x2) and some dispels.
    -Coran dual wielding some Kondar, Harrower, Varscona and Sword of Balduran with Chain mail +3
    -Garrick with crossbow
    -Neera with couple of her wild mage spells, web, fireball, summons and horror
    -Imoen detecting traps and backstabbing or using a short bow.

Party members are ranging levels from 7-8 atm. And I am trying to clear Durlags Tower. It goes all right, with a lot of reloads and sleeping. But somehow I think that I'm doing something wrong. Especially when my party gets confused, paralyzed or in any other way controlled. It really gets me frustrated, because I know that it should be doable on normal difficulty without much sweating.

Also, somehow I feel that 6 party members is a crowd :dizzy:

Riderat

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In the early part of the game, buff spells such as Bless should be used only for difficult fights. Using it for every set of kolbold and gibberling is a waste.

Healing pots are there for a reason. They are quicker to use than healing spells with no chance of failure (unless you die before the character can drink it). There is no point in hoarding them, if you run short or out, then you can replace some of your cleric spells with Cure Light Wounds and what not.

Same with offensive spells. Use them if you see your fighters having a hard time bringing down an enemy or to interrupt enemy spellcasters. Spells like sleep, colour spray, and spook are better than magic missile in the early game so have them memorized instead for crowd control and have mages equip a missile weapon to keep them from charging the enemy when you dont need theor spell casting.

It is possible to still search for traps while in shadows, however you only have a very small window (3-6 seconds) to do so. Moving half of your sightline at a time, you should be able to safely navigate a thief in shadows and detecting traps, but it is very tedious to do so. Cast invisibility (or use a potion) to keep the thief hidden is easier and less hassle for detecting traps.
  • There are some pretty rough fights in Durlag's Tower, so I wouldn't feel bad if you have to rest frequently, and the level cap in BG prevents your Cleric from getting to high enough level to cast Chaotic Commands to shut down those control effects. If you haven't already, pick up the Greenstone Amulet from Ulgoth's Beard, as a charge from that will protect a character from pretty much every controlling effect for a turn. And if she isn't already, have Branwen prepare Protection From Evil 10' in her 4th level slots, as that can give your whole party +2 AC and +2 saves for a long duration.

If Neera has Spirit Armor (or even Improved Invisibility, since not many enemies in the first game can dispel the effect), that can also be used to buff a character's Save vs. Spell to ward off controlling effects. Also, if you have Neera use Wands of Fire, then you don't need to prepare Fireball as much, opening up slots for Haste, Slow, or Hold Person. Haste can really help you get through tough fights, although it does shorten your day by adding fatigue. Garrick should be able to get in on that action as well.
    All right, thanks, I'll give it a try. By the way, are there any good reasons for a mage to wield staff or staffmaces?
    I mean, you don't want them to engage melee combat and they are kinda useless in that.

And one more question, do you ever set your mages/clerics on scripted modes to automate their spell-casting?

Riderat
  • I generally keep my mages using ranged weapons. In BG2EE, there are a couple of melee weapons (such as the Staff of the Magi) that have good enough effects that it's worth wielding them, but then you just have the mage stand back and not attack anyone in between spells.

I never use spellcasting scripts. I don't trust them to use spells in an intelligent manner. If you're having trouble keeping up with spell usage, setting the game to auto-pause after you cast a spell is a good way to make sure your casters aren't standing around doing nothing.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    The solution to safe trap location and removal is the cleric/thief. Awesome support survivalist
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    PK2748 said:

The solution to safe trap location and removal is the cleric/thief. Awesome support survivalist

No.
    Are you kidding? Sanctuary with find/remove traps is great. Perfect utility
    PK2748 said:

Utility yes but it's a wasted character slot when you can have those functions wrapped up in other characters with so much more synergy.

I'd even try to make a case that a 5 person oarty without a healer or trapper is better than adding a cleric/thief.
    edited September 2015
    He's using Garrick and you're calling a cleric/thief a wasted slot?
    PK2748 said:

He's using Garrick and you're calling a cleric/thief a wasted slot?

Garrick with wands, a high caster level, bracers of archery and army scythe is a force to be reckoned with.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Riderat said:

All right, thanks, I'll give it a try. By the way, are there any good reasons for a mage to wield staff or staffmaces?
    I mean, you don't want them to engage melee combat and they are kinda useless in that.

And one more question, do you ever set your mages/clerics on scripted modes to automate their spell-casting?

Riderat

I give my mages slings or darts. I used to use slings more before, nowadays I favour darts since they are so easy to get that you can support two mages and/or a mage and a thief with darts of stunning etc without running low on ammo.

I never let any script use spells. I haven't even tried any of those scripts, but based upon what I've read, all of them pretty much suck equally bad. I put my mages on either standard attack or no script at all.
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for all the replies!

All right, made it trough the tower and finished expansion in Urlags Beard. Only issues I had later was with Demon Knight, because he simply strips me out of all the buffs and pretty much kills all my summons/npcs with the fire balls. And the 2nd issue I had with the summoned demon. As he cursed my bhaalspawn with dying and I couldn't figure out why am I turning into a ghoul. As none of the magics worked against this condition (bug?) I had to reload previous save and kill the Demon Knight again :neutral:

However, after all of this I still think I am under-using the mages here. I mean I was doing good only when I left Neera in the back. All right, she helped me occasionally with some fireballs and other offensive spells, but I believe that I could do it easily without her.

Also, after completing the expansion, one more question arose - how to properly use Turn Undead skill? As I understand it should be something like a passive skill. But whenever i click on it, my clerics/paladins are all on the next target and are canceling my command. Is it a script issue or is it how it's supposed to be?

And as for Garrick - he is the main guy for identifying stuff and singing songs (not sure how effective these are, but for me they work as a placebo at least) for the party. Additionally he adds some to the average dps as well.

Riderat
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    With a Mage or sorcerer, if you want a change of pace. Summon a sword or use a dagger(dagger of venom works best), improved haste/haste yourself, maybe tensors transformation(I don't really care for tensors) and go wacking... only use spells when you absolutely need them. Or wack once, use magic missle, wack, next round repeat. While doing this, make sure u have stoneskin. And mirror image active lol. Limited wish can restore some spells, some wild surges at higher levels refresh you quite often

Clerics and druids have wonderous recall as well, and plenty of summons that last awhile(skeletons for clerics comes to mind). Plus a druud can shapeshift, so you don't have to be casting spells and sleeping all the time.
  • The Turn Undead thing is indeed a scripting issue. If you want a Cleric/Paladin to stand around Turning, you can either turn off party AI, or you can use the Cleric Controlled script.

For future reference, the ghoulifying attack from the demon is a gaze attack, so you can block it with a potion of Mirrored Eyes. The Gamebanshee walkthrough says that you can Dispel the ghoul curse while it is latent on the character, but I haven't tried that and don't know how reliable it is.

As far as under-using mages goes, when I'm playing a balanced party with two or three solid warriors in the front, I find that I can get through most fights without using magic, but having all those spells on hand is handy for those tough encounters or ones that involve lots of enemies. On the other hand, my current BG2EE playthrough right now consists of a Cleric/Mage, Jaheira, Hexxat, and Haer'Dalis, so I find myself leaning on spellcasting a lot more to make it through fights
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Since i play with rest limitations I usually go for maximum spell efficiency.

Save scrolls, don't grind them for XP unless they're genuinely worthless, like Infravision (always useless) or Clairvoyance once you'll fully revealed all outdoor maps. (in BG1 spells cast from scrolls cast at lvl 6, in BG2 they cast at lvl 10.)

I prefer to use memorized spells for general purpose buffs/debuffs/crowd controls. While using scrolls or wands for offense direct damage or summons.

Party members that can save spell slots are also a plus. A bard is nice for their song blocking/removing fear effects, and thieves with a decent amount of Detect illusion (50+) can fully replace all illusion remover spells.

And get a feel for when spells are actually needed to fight a battle and when they're a waste.

NEVER use clerics for healing. If you use druids, sure, since druids are EXTREMELY lacking in good low level spells and you'll probably end up taking more damage as a result, but clerics get so many OP crowd control spells and buffs, you should almost never be taking damage at all, especially if you're using your mages properly as well.

It's not until you get the Heal spell (6th) that memorizing healing spells is worthwhile since it's a relatively fast-casting Full Heal, where as most healing spells are extremely slow and barely heal an attack or two worth of health.

Always scout, especially if it's an unfamiliar area. A backstabbing thief or a ranger can serve this job well and lets you plan your order of attacks more carefully, since a lot of otherwise hard encounters can be rendered trivial by simply annihilating/removing the threat of 1 enemy before they're alerted to your presence.

Weigh the strengths of the enemies and determine ahead of time which spells you NEED to end them efficiently and which enemies aren't really a threat and can be simply gunned down with ranged fire, and if you have trapper whether or not you'll want to lure a hardy enemy into a trap to soften them up.

Just read you spells carefully and try them out.

Just a word of advice though....the clerics Command (1st) spell might sound underwhelming, but it is AMAZING once you learn how to properly use it. Can utterly trivialize a lot of otherwise hard fights with only a single well-timed cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited October 2015

Wowo said:

PK2748 said:

Utility yes but it's a wasted character slot when you can have those functions wrapped up in other characters with so much more synergy.

I'd even try to make a case that a 5 person oarty without a healer or trapper is better than adding a cleric/thief.
    = nuts

I ran a halfling C/T through IWDEE recently as part of a fairly typical 6-man group, he was one of the most powerful members. They can scout better than anyone else, they can melee like monsters with 1-2 self-buffs, they can heal, carpet-bomb, buff and debuff...

There's metric tons of synergy and versatility in that class, if you think it's wasted you just haven't yet learned to use it well.

The ONLY thing about C/Ts that isn't awesome is the fact that the thieving button is an extra click away. And that should be remedied in the SoD patches. :)

@OP You should realize that casters don't have to do something every round in every fight. If you run a party with 3 melee-capable characters + mage + cleric + thief, in a lot of fights you can just mop up the enemies with just the 3 front-liners. Maybe used ranged weapons with the rest but even that's not necessary a lot of the time. Save that magic for the tough fights!
    The thing I don't like about Cleric/Thief is that there just seem to be better class options for me compared to that one. In general, the Thief kits seem better than a base class Thief and the Cleric Kits are an upgrade over the base Cleric with no downside. On top of that, unless you kill Drizzt for his armor, your best option for armor is a really expensive set of studded leather though it's still a nice option for Thieves. It's benefit is more for stealth though, and backstabbing options for Cleric/Thief are limited. So you can't go like a Fighter/Cleric with their melee options and being able to use any armor they want (plus buffing spells useful for warriors), and you don't get the weapon selection of a Fighter/Thief or Mage/Thief.

While yeah you can use a decent number of weapons with Cleric/Thief, you can only backstab with two of them and you only get one ranged option. And unless you're a Half-Orc with 19 Strength, you don't get the benefit of an 18/XX warrior Strength table. Other multi-class combos or dual classing seems the better option from what I've seen than Cleric/Thief, though someone that has deep knowledge of the game they're playing will be able to play around with the class more.

There are a number of factors why I don't go for Cleric/Thief, but part of it has to do with the fact they seem more a pure utility character who can cast a few spells but don't get the option of any of the beneficial class kits that would provide nice bonuses for a 6 character party, where roles of the other half of the multiclass could be filled by someone else. That and thieving skills from what I understand top out in terms of usefulness at a certain skill level that can be obtained somewhat early, at least for the Baldur's Gate games. The advantages don't stack as well to me as other combos do, cus within a party of 4-6 characters other combinations seem to balance out better with their abilities. Though that's just my opinion. Fighter/Cleric or Mage/Cleric seem like the better combos for Cleric, and Fighter/Thief or Mage/Thief seem like the better combos for a Thief, not including Gnome multiclass advantages. Then have single class Cleric or Thief (possibly with a kit) for a second party member, and it seems to add up better.

I do agree with the points about party makeup, you won't need to cast spells for most of the regular encounters and mainly for the tough ones, unless you need some healing on someone who just took some hits. If you have at least one warrior with a fair amount of hit points then spellcasters can just go with ranged weapons for the occasional extra damage, and some spellcaster NPCs in the game have nice Dexterity scores to use something like slings decently. In fact most of the time any Druid, Mage, or Cleric not multiclassed into Fighter should be equipped with a sling as their primary weapon, as ammo is cheap and it keeps them out of harm's way. Spell slots should be reserved for spells that would help out in hard fights instead of dealing with the usual cronies that your frontliners should be able to deal with without much trouble.
    In BG 1 you can get the Staff Mace that's 2d4 +2. That's pretty great even before you get the Staff of Striking. Eventually you get the spell to do max damage with your weapon. That seems like an awesome combination to me for backstabbing. It trumps the average bonuses of any thief kit or cleric kit in my mind. Plus there is also the Elven Chain in BG EE which when combined with the +2 Ring of Protection, a shield and helm can lead to impressive levels of AC for a thief or a cleric.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.