Skip to content

Replacing NPC Portraits

GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
I have been trying for around 4 hours now, to find a way to change Portraits for my team members on android. I use Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen and Neera.
Can someone tell me step by step how I can use the override here? And especially what file names to use

Comments

• GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    edited September 2015
    Also if it possible to take Half Orc meshes from original BG2 and put them to BG2EE, what do I do???
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    You take the portraits in .bmp format, resize them and put them in the override file under the names of the portraits. There are three sizes of each portrait you must make, with the name of the NPC followed by L, M, and S (large medium and small) for example, Khalid would be KHALIDL.bmp, KHALIDM.bmp and KHALIDS.bmp. BG2 portraits are sized 210x330, 169x266 and 54x84.

There are no 'original' meshes (in fact the game doesn't use a mesh/texture system). Half-Orcs always looked like they do now.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2015

Half-Orcs always looked like they do now.

Err, no. The currently included Half-Orc Paperdolls are from the 1PP (?) mod... vastly more human-like in appearance than the original BGII ones and much less unique.

That being said: all you have to do is extract the original .plt/.bam files into your override folder. Luckily for you, @lunar already did post an archive including all of BGII's Paperdolls in another thread.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    By 'meshes', I assumed that he was talking about the models, but I must have been mistaken. Yes, if you want the paperdolls changed, someone has accomplished that.
    Yes, my bad. The paper dolls were what I searched for.

Err, no. The currently included Half-Orc Paperdolls are from the 1PP (?) mod... vastly more human-like in appearance than the original BGII ones and much less unique.

That being said: all you have to do is extract the original .plt/.bam files into your override folder. Luckily for you, @lunar already did post an archive including all of BGII's Paperdolls in another thread.
    How do I know which is the Half Orc?
    Ok. I did put IMOENL.bmp into override folder but no changes when I load the game.... am I doing something wrong?
    OMG...T-T I feel like crying just by looking at the amazing old meshes T-T...why...why did they delete such beauties?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @GarrusN7 You should add IMOENM.bmp and IMOENS.bmp there, in order her portrait changes.
    bengoshi said:

@GarrusN7 You should add IMOENM.bmp and IMOENS.bmp there, in order her portrait changes.

Thank you all mighty! *flails his arms*
    What is the prefix for NEERA?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    NEERAL, NEERAM, NEERAS
    bengoshi said:

NEERAL, NEERAM, NEERAS

Thanks. I will get to it once she joins me

I don't have a working pc so I don't know which paper dolls belong to elves, humans, half-orcs and dwarves...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

You take the portraits in .bmp format, resize them and put them in the override file under the names of the portraits. There are three sizes of each portrait you must make, with the name of the NPC followed by L, M, and S (large medium and small) for example, Khalid would be KHALIDL.bmp, KHALIDM.bmp and KHALIDS.bmp. BG2 portraits are sized 210x330, 169x266 and 54x84.

There are no 'original' meshes (in fact the game doesn't use a mesh/texture system). Half-Orcs always looked like they do now.

I thought they did dynamic resizing these days for portraits? guess not or maybe it's only for the PC portraits.?
    From my experience, the dynamic resizing works in a way that you don't need precise sizes of portraits, both for PC and NPCs. But in order the game understood you've changed NPCs' portraits, there must be both XXXM.bmp and XXXS.bmp files in the override folder (they can be of other sizes than mentioned in Artemius_I's post but they still need those names).
    bengoshi said:

From my experience, the dynamic resizing works in a way that you don't need precise sizes of portraits, both for PC and NPCs. But in order the game understood you've changed NPCs' portraits, there must be both XXXM.bmp and XXXS.bmp files in the override folder (they can be of other sizes than mentioned in Artemius_I's post but they still need those names).

Well I did three versions S, M, and L and left them in override (including the new paper dolls, which I am trying to sort to get rid of dwarf's dolls. I am glad though, that I got my orc, human and elf dolls...they are so f***ing amazing!
    Could anyone tell me which paper dolls are for what race and gender? I can't seem to guess which name corresponds to which race and class.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Oh. Umm. Someone mentioned my tiny attempt ar modding? Gee, thanks! :)
    However I am not sure about which files are orcish ones, either. Maybe someone can look it up via dltcep or something and tell you? I am away from my home and pc. On a business trip. Yay. -.-
    Yeah I believe that would be nice like hell...
    Preferably what are the files for each race and gender, so that I can delete the "crappy" looking ones.