Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• MewgiusMewgius Member Posts: 7
    konva wrote: »
    Hello all, im just curious.. if I update my s21 samsung to latest android, im currently on andoid 12, is there a working guide about modding Baldurs gate? I would like to make eet install but on current android i have issues with accessing data content even on PC, and also cant just rename dialog.tlk to get mods working. Also some "blank" folders i am unable to delete no matter what. Any working tips? Thank you all in advance.

I'm also curious about this; following suggestions I've seen in this thread, I downloaded the "X-plore" file manager on my Pixel 6 Pro (Android 12) to try and get to the override folder in the BG2:EE files, but as far as I'm able to see, the "com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition" folder is empty. Same for BG:EE. This leads me to believe that I would need to root my device to get access to the subfolders and files, but I'd rather avoid doing that if at all possible.
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Mewgius wrote: »
    Hello all, im just curious.. if I update my s21 samsung to latest android, im currently on andoid 12, is there a working guide about modding Baldurs gate? I would like to make eet install but on current android i have issues with accessing data content even on PC, and also cant just rename dialog.tlk to get mods working. Also some "blank" folders i am unable to delete no matter what. Any working tips? Thank you all in advance.

I'm also curious about this; following suggestions I've seen in this thread, I downloaded the "X-plore" file manager on my Pixel 6 Pro (Android 12) to try and get to the override folder in the BG2:EE files, but as far as I'm able to see, the "com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition" folder is empty. Same for BG:EE. This leads me to believe that I would need to root my device to get access to the subfolders and files, but I'd rather avoid doing that if at all possible.

Well I also considered that. Did also some root admin setups, only a little, but nothing. Only way to get this fixed is Factory default to get Android 10 and no updating.
  • In_A_GraveyardIn_A_Graveyard Member Posts: 20
    Greetings all!

I don't have any answers, per se, but maybe some insight.

I have been able to install numerous mods by following the instructions listed a handful of times across the thread using a PC to create the appropriate modding environment, installing mods, modmerging, etc.

I have been able to successfully install some simple mods using Termux within Android without any use of a PC. The process in more or less the same.

I have been able to successfully use modded dialog.tlk, override folders, etc. The problem I left off on last was attempting to use a merged chitin.key file created during the EET install process. It doesn't seem to be picked up as a useable .key file whether I've renamed the original or not, modmerged or not.

I have attempted to rebuild the compressed file with my edited key file, adjusted size to avoid the re-download screen to no success.

If I get some more time soon I'll try and dive back in and answer some questions if I'm able.

Thanks
    Well on my tries, the problem was exactly with android, not with mod composing. The issue was that game acts like it cant reckognize something inside data folder. When i managed to get this somehow working, i was stopped by big obstacle that i just cant rename the original dialog.tlk. if i repacked on PC, it just deletes on mobile when I tried to launch game. If I tried to use rar or file commander, it keeps applying changes but with no effect when i just exited the app. So that was the reason i cant manage to get mods working on damn android 12. I believe i had bigger installments worling under android 11 or maybe 10.
  • AgerioAgerio Member Posts: 73
    @konva have you tried opening the obb directly on your phone by hold clicking the obb file instead of renaming the obb to zip to rename the dialog.tlk file?.
    @In_A_Graveyard HEY I FINALLY SOLVED THE CHITIN ISSUE!!!. Sorry for the caps just got excited but all you have to do is to place your modified chitin.key to the obb folder and it just works!
    Agerio wrote: »
    @konva have you tried opening the obb directly on your phone by hold clicking the obb file instead of renaming the obb to zip to rename the dialog.tlk file?.

I did. Opened directly in rar, renamed dialog tll to klt... then i exit app and no change. When i open patch obb again, no change.

I did. Opened directly in rar, renamed dialog tll to klt... then i exit app and no change. When i open patch obb again, no change.
    hmm since you have a pc, then try opening the obb directly there instead.
    @Agerio That's fantastic! Thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a shot in the next couple days and let you know how it goes for me.
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    Hey guys. trying to mod BG on my pixel 6 pro.. I've modded installs on my redmi note 9T without any problem, but in my P6P I can't access the data folders I guess its an A12 thing from the previous comments.

I've tried several different file explorers, solid explorer, and x-files and the com.beamdog folders do appear, however I can't copy anything into them. It gives me this error: java.io.IOException: permission denied

A bit of googling tells me that this means the folder doesn't exist? Or simply that I cannot access this folder (and only the game can).

All I want to do is install SCS and RR. Is there a way to do that within android 12 anyone had any luck with modding BG on a P6P? Or pixel 6 in general?

-Billy
    Hey @billy_pilgrim

I've successfully modded BG using a Pixel 4, Android 12.

I used the "Root Explorer" file explorer for some general use and copying/pasting, the "RAR" app for renaming files within the compressed game directories, and "Termux" to do the bulk of the modding and game data manipulating.

I do have a rooted device, but I was able to do all the operations within general use, non-root space and didn't have to fight any permission issues as long as I moved the com.beamdog folders from system space to user space before editing them.

A warning, and this might be related to the A12 issues, the modding process is *very* slow. Something about the Android system throttles data transfer rates so much so that even the smallest mods take minutes instead of seconds. SCS, for instance, could take hours to install.

I've been working on and off trying to figure out a process of modding in rooted space where there isn't data throttling. I've made some progress here and there but so far it isn't feasible.
    @In_A_Graveyard thanks for your response!

I'll give root explorer a go, if all it requires is some patience, I can deal with that. I'll see how I get on and update!
    Unfortunately it looks like a beamdog thing and not an A12 thing. It's a shame we aren't allowed to mod a 20 year old game on a mobile phone platform. Apparently they are worried people are sticking the dlc into their installs. Anyway I'll find another game to play on the phone thanks beamdog!
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim Afaik it's an android 12 + samsung and google pixel issue. You should try placing your mod files on the obb/com.beamdog folder instead. and don't forget to use third party managers.
    @billy_pilgrim Afaik it's an android 12 + samsung and google pixel issue. You should try placing your mod files on the obb/com.beamdog folder instead. and don't forget to use third party managers.

I use fv file manager to place modfiles in the obb/com.beamdog folder and the game doesn't boot anymore. Also those folders are still not accessible to the user. Beamdog could redirect the games to folders which are user accessible, just like any media playing app does. This problem has been talked about on various forums since A12 launched so it's not exactly a mystery anymore.
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim can i have a screenshot of the mod files in obb and have you checked the dialog.tlk in lang?
    Post edited by Agerio on
    edited August 2022
    Btw here's an example. If it still won't boot then please clear your game's data(it won't delete your modfiles) on settings and try again.
    csvcw0a8vxut.jpg
    edited August 2022
    Thanks for the example, @Agerio this is how my obb folder looks. When I start BG it just gives me a startup screen which says starting... And it hangs there.
    Edit: well I can see it has deleted one of the obb files...
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim yeah just clear your game data and add the patch.obb, it seems to be missing there also that error usually happends when the game doesn't detect one or all the .obb files.

Edit: Nvm.. hopefully it works for you this time.
    @billy_pilgrim yeah just clear your game data and add the patch.obb, it seems to be missing there also that error usually happends when the game doesn't detect one or all the .obb files.

Thanks so much, it's working!

Thanks so much, it's working!

Your welcome, glad to see it working! But here's another modding info and enjoy modding! https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/35840-how-to-install-eet-on-android/#comment-313269
    Hmm well, it looks like the UI mods worked fine but SCS has issues. For example all the IWD spells are listed as invalid (I can see their icons though).. I renamed the dialog.tlk file in the obb to dialog.klt and didn't do anything to the lang/enUS/dialogue.tlk, did I make a mistake here?
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim ummm...the dialogue.tlk should be dialog.tlk and the enUS should be en_US. btw chitin.key on main.obb should be patched the same way as dialog.tlk file if you're planning to install mods that uses it like eet for example.
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim ummm...the dialogue.tlk should be dialog.tlk and the enUS should be en_US. btw chitin.key on main.obb should be patched the same way as dialog.tlk file if you're planning to install mods that uses it like eet for example.

Well I only installed a couple of atweaks components, scs and RR as well as some UI tweaks. I saw the UI tweaks were working, that's why I assumed it was working fine, but when I started the game I noticed the IWD spells from SCS aren't installed, they just show up as invalid (but I can see their icons). When I googled that error it lead me to believe it's an error with the dialog.tlk files, so I started messing with them, but I can't get it them to work. How are you clearing game files? All I can do is clear the cache in A12..
    @billy_pilgrim

Can I ask how long SCS took to install? Did you install it through Termux?
    edited August 2022
    @billy_pilgrim

Can I ask how long SCS took to install? Did you install it through Termux?

No, I copied and extracted the obb files on my PC, and then modded those files. Repacked them into modfiles (lang/en_US + override + scripts +sounds + movies; iirc) and copied those back to my phone. I extracted them using winrar and used FV file manager to copy them into the obb directory (its the only file manager which recognizes the folders inside the obb dir and allowed me to copy and write into it).

When I started modding my PC didn't recognize anything inside the obb directory of my phone, but now after restarting the phone and enabling devops it seems the PC can read and write into obb too.

Well I only installed a couple of atweaks components, scs and RR as well as some UI tweaks. I saw the UI tweaks were working, that's why I assumed it was working fine, but when I started the game I noticed the IWD spells from SCS aren't installed, they just show up as invalid (but I can see their icons). When I googled that error it lead me to believe it's an error with the dialog.tlk files, so I started messing with them, but I can't get it them to work. How are you clearing game files? All I can do is clear the cache in A12..

Find something like a equivalent of a clear data button like in the photos. That invalid thing is indeed the fault of the dialog.tlk and that usually happend on Android when the game detects/chose the original dialog.tlk instead of the modded one...try double checking the og dialog.tlk on patch.obb.. if it still .tlk instead of .klt then try editing it on your pc and make sure you open the obb directly using winrar. 5gqt1mq5dina.jpg
    pomht9akkwtl.jpg
    bfy51u8z95vl.jpg
    examples
    edited August 2022
    My clear data button is always greyed out for some reason... I modified the orginal dialog.tlk in the obb file to .klt but it appears android places a new .obb file in the /obb/com.beamdog directory with an unmodified dialogue.tlk and also stashes the old .obb file somewhere I can't find as my game folders seem to be growing and growing, lol.
    Well, I think I found the culprit, when I rename dialog.tlk to .klt the filesize of the .obb is 3 bytes smaller than it should be...
    edited August 2022
    Well, I think I found the culprit, when I rename dialog.tlk to .klt the filesize of the .obb is 3 bytes smaller than it should be...

Edit: hmmm did you do it by open as archive or the equivalent of it on winrar, or you renamed the .obb file to .zip and back to rename the dialog.tlk?